Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:38 am 

My budget is limited, and a couple of stores I used to frequent in Toronto, one on McCall I believe and the other on Mount Pleasant, are no longer there. Are there any others, or stores that have a reasonably large stock of classical music, maybe jazz, and blues?

My apologies if there is another such thread among the 56 pages here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 am 

Try the Beat Goes On (if you haven't yet). Multiple locations, searchable online database if the title you want is in Ottawa ... or Kitchener ... or Niagara. They will ship it to your local store. I'll sometimes pop in to another location if I am traveling near one. I've found some gems there, and you can listen to anything you think looks interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:49 am 

Atelier Grigorian in Yorkville (Toronto) is a proper classical music store. They have used LPs as well as new LPs and cds. No used cds though and prices are market value. They do have some lower priced new cds but not less than $10 to $15 per cd.

BTW, lots of CAMers selling off their collections for really low prices so keep your eyes peeled.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:19 am 

They have gone by the way of the dodo bird . They are now extinct. Online seems to be the best way to buy used Classical music in any form.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 am 

Once the production of CDs slips below a certain threshold, I fear there won't be many available. Then, used classical CDs will be as sought after as vinyl is now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:32 am 

Thanks for tip about the Beat Goes On database.

Yes, I know L'Atelier Grigorian. They used to have a store here in London, and I shopped at their original store in Oakville between '80 and '82. I still know one of their employees, John Holland, who moved from London to Toronto.

It's sad about the demise of the other stores though. While I still prefer to spin vinyl or play CDs, it's almost as if the only way to go these days are streaming services like the Naxos Music Library, or Spotify.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 am 

Don't forget Tidal. Lossless streaming, and great classical catalogue. It's my go-to source for music for about 18 hours a day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 am 

elkerton wrote:
Are there any others, or stores that have a reasonably large stock of classical music, maybe jazz, and blues?

Try the goodwill book store on a Adelaide street at victoria. While selection varies and there is an inevitable oversupply of Zamfir, Liberace and 1001 Strings, you can score some great deals on classical and jazz. I was there one day and a person came in with their grandparent's records - 2 big boxes of mint RCA red seal and Columbia masterworks 60's classical LP's in mint condition. I got them for $80. And 2 weeks ago a 19 LP set of solti's 1967 wagner cycle that had never been played.

actually i take it back - they have NO classical records or CD's...stay away, they are all mine! LOL

ask for charles, he knows good music

cheers
gord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:32 am 

Hi
Try Sonic Boom Records at 215 Spadina Ave. in downtown Toronto (China Town). I go there and they have a big inventory of used records and cd's and many box sets behind glass displays.
George

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:51 am 

Your best bet these days will be thrift shops, re-use-it centres, and possible even value village. Some local libraries also have sales a few times a year of donated items. Also check out book sales and ask if they have any music media. It will take some hunting, but it's fun when you discover a nice cache of good quality CDs or LPs for cheap. My local re-use-it recently received a donation of a HUGE classical CD collection, consisting of many rare and top labels. I was able to snag a pile of pipe organ discs on hard to find labels for a dollar a pop.

Happy hunting!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 am 

Ungie wrote:
Your best bet these days will be thrift shops, re-use-it centres, and possible even value village. Some local libraries also have sales a few times a year of donated items. Also check out book sales and ask if they have any music media. It will take some hunting, but it's fun when you discover a nice cache of good quality CDs or LPs for cheap. My local re-use-it recently received a donation of a HUGE classical CD collection, consisting of many rare and top labels. I was able to snag a pile of pipe organ discs on hard to find labels for a dollar a pop.

Happy hunting!

+
The closing of Amorosa on St. Patrick St. and Second Vinyl on McCaul,pretty much dried up the storefront sources for good selections of used Classical CDs in Toronto.Keep an eye on CAM,Kijiji and Thrifts for Classical CD collections/batches which occasionally show up.With luck,It will only take 1 or 2 such collections to build up a rainy day stockpile.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:23 pm 

Gord, hahaha. I've bought a few things there myself though I'm rarely in that neck of the woods.

Lucky you, Ungie, finding pipe organ repertoire though I already have some 80 CDs of it and as many LPs. I would welcome more.

I took a look at the Tidal website, but it was hard for me to fathom what they had. What I like about both Naxos and Spotify is that you can type in specific recordings you're looking for, and you know immediately if they have it. No muss, no fuss. My experience is pretty much that if the one doesn't have it the other does.

I'll check out Sonic Boom when I'm in Toronto in a couple weeks. any opinion on Kops, She Said Boom, BMV Books, or Pandmonium?

Thanks all,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 am 

Elky:

assuming you read this in time, today is your lucky day.

Mississaugua Orchestra have an annual book, record ,cd sale at Sheriden Mall.

Its a 4-day deal and I BELIEVE IT STARTS TODAY at 5pm - or maybe yesterday.

I've been there the last two years. Deacon goes there for rock lps, but there are usually only 6 boxes of them and **** dealers have line-up for 2 hours before the show IN FRONT OF THE BOXES. The unscrupulous turds .They buy the whole box and no one has a chance. This hobby really sucks.

(They should intersperse the rock with the classical, so everyone has a chance.)

Classical lps are no problem - usually 30 - 40 crates. Priced at 2 dollah each and you KNOW they are gonna be in great shape cos much come from musician-collector donations.

I never look at cds but there are a lot AND ALL CLASSICAL.

Look up the website to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:26 am 

The Deacon is just back from (Burlington) Salvation Army.
Today is the annual 60% off lps & cds sale.
Their used lps are overprice from the start: $3.00 for Nana/Chris de Burgh boners, but with the sale thats , what, $1.20 a lp/cd?

Lotta classical /poprock cds wot they just brought out (4 or 5 boxes full)

Deacon got only 9 lps:

Jesus Christ Superstar box -the US version was terrible but this is the UK version. Even though it has members of Deep Purple,Ainsely Dunbar,Quatermass,Gracious,Nucleus...it still sucks donkey. But I could not just leave it there

Modern French Orchestral Minitures - rare pieces by Milhaud,Satie,Poulenc & Ibert

Walton symp #1

Ravi Shankar - india's Master Musician Shankar has a massive discography. This is one of his very first lps ('58 on World Pacific label)

Aaron Copeland - music for a great city

Van der Graf Generator - godbluf

Lee Micheals - Carnival of Life awesome first lp but side 2 is scratched

Carlos Chavez - Horsepower from Louisville Orcjestra label

Underground Electrics -Hey Jude difficult to score "psych" exploito lp on shitty bad quality Crown exploito label. Title track is the ABSOLUTE WORSE cover of Hey Jude you ever heard, but other tracks are good blues-psych.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am 

The Deacon wrote:
I've been there the last two years. Deacon goes there for rock lps, but there are usually only 6 boxes of them and **** dealers have line-up for 2 hours before the show IN FRONT OF THE BOXES. The unscrupulous turds .They buy the whole box and no one has a chance. This hobby really sucks.

I heard about this sale only last week and was told that one particular collector (doesn't have a store) brings in reinforcements with him so he can grab as much of the boxes as possible and he usually does get them all of most of them. Crazy. But I've seen it elsewhere.

As for cds stores...yeah slim pickings. If you don't mind new Soundscapes on College is worth a shot as they have a classical section. I go there for mostly modern classical stuff so not sure what it's like over all.

Across the street (entrance around the corner) is Neurotica and they have used cds. Not sure what their classical section looks like but they probably have some and since their customer base are likely not looking for classical you might score some decent titles.