Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DBX coding.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm 

Came across a Facebook post talking about these things. I have never head of them, but it sounds amazing. Because I muck around with tape, and would love to hear one of these albums, I just ordered one from eBay. Seems in an environment where people are spending thousands on cables and AC plugs there would be more interest in something like this - which should really improve sound drastically. Thoughts? Pros and cons?

https://youtu.be/1qtxPSR8q98

Post subject: Re: DBX coding.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:34 pm 

Techmoan (he has a youtube channel) did a review of DBX vinyl records. Of course you need to have a DBX decoder for the record to work...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:36 pm 
Premium User

I own some LP with a decoder.

the dynamics is very good but the decoder add some bluring to the sound.
so the result is not as good as a sheffield direct to disc without decoder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:08 pm 

Hmm. Well I'm going to be making RTR recordings on a prosumer model for personal use. I think i can't hurt to try. Definitely running out of room :)

Last edited by JasonGR on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:09 pm 

renehuot70 wrote:
I own some LP with a decoder.

the dynamics is very good but the decoder add some bluring to the sound.
so the result is not as good as a sheffield direct to disc without decoder
+1

Noise reduction systems improve the dynamic range but as any other component
in Hi-Fi system, have their own distortion. Even Nakamichi did drop the High-com II
because as Rene said, it blurred the sound.

But Jason, a bigger dynamic range is what all audiophiles dream of.
Like putting a magnifier to the sound to hear more details.

As cassette tape fan, I use Dolby C on most of my recordings. But Dolby C
suffers from non linear boost in high frequencies depending on the level.

I thought about something to improve the dynamic range for tape recordings.
I found something very good. I'll share that something on a Cam thread soon.

Analog sound is not dead.

Good topic Jason :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:01 am 

Discovery Records which closed a few months ago still had DBX records for sale for a reasonable price($15)
Ric`s Recollections last time I was there also had some ($40 to $60)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:38 pm 

DBX was rather brilliant noise reduction/dynamic expander system. Way better than any versions of Dolby. DBX coded tapes and cassettes must be played with DBX decoder or they are basically unlistenable, unlike Dolby NR that can be played without and still sounds so so.
DBX unfortunately came late or cost more, and once the market was saturated with Dolby NR, it never became mainstream. Too bad, as I remember the Marantz cassette deck I had with DBX, the tape hiss was non existent and dynamics were improved substantially.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:49 pm 

Like so many other technologies that could have been mainstream, if they were release a few years earlier...

Ohms

https://www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:03 pm 

Thanks all. I can't wait to muck about with it. Cheap anyway. Regarding blurred sound, my second phono stage is a cheap little bear t-10, which is basically a knock off of an EAR 834p. It's noisey and colourful but I love the sound of it, just pure tubes. Curious if I can't get them working together.

It's amazing to me that no matter how far you go down a rabbit hole, technology like this just seems to keep popping up. Lol.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:03 pm 

Hey, having ordered this thing and done a bit of reading I have some questions if anyone feels like answering them.

So, apparently DBX type two is intended for Reel To Reel speeds of 7 1/2 or less or in other words consumer grade machines. I have a TEAC 2track "prosumer" RTR I normally run at 15ips, but have the option for 7 1/2. Keeping in mind I'm just playing around.....

1) what will happen if I record at 15ips exactly? Seems some issues are more likely to occur but I'm not sure exactly what.

2) would it make more sense to record at 7 1/2 anyway? Some people seem to think the benefits would be more pronounced at 7 1/2. I'm not sure why.

3) type 2 is designed for use with 1/4 track machines. But will it work with half track?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:37 pm 

I have a Technics cassette deck with DBX Disc NR, and the albums are very reasonable... could be one of those things I gotta do just out of curiosity. I can say it's been my experience that the best tapes are made on the best decks, it really is that simple!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:13 pm 

Wow. So, I finally got this thing set up. I'm blown away. I made the mistake of recording something at 15 IPS last night and it came out horrible. But I transferred some high res digital files at 7 1/2 IPS today and I'm stunned by the result. Better than anything I've achieved to date at 15ips (keeping in mind I'm just a guy messing around for fun). Amazing I'll be able to have double the space to record on now. I really love it.

That said. So help you God if you push the wrong button. It sends the worst sounds imaginable at super high volumes to your speakers- that disc button especially (eeeeek). And for some reason the levels don't work properly when using it. They appear to be way to quiet while recording, yet it plays back super loud. Kind a have to wing it there. Anyway, all trivialities. Best $70 I've spent in a while, lol.

Attachments:
20181006_180250.jpg
20181006_180250.jpg [ 200.88 KiB | Viewed 826 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:10 pm 

JasonGR wrote:
Wow. So, I finally got this thing set up. I'm blown away. I made the mistake of recording something at 15 IPS last night and it came out horrible. But I transferred some high res digital files at 7 1/2 IPS today and I'm stunned by the result. Better than anything I've achieved to date at 15ips (keeping in mind I'm just a guy messing around for fun).
I can only imagine that if the meters are misaligned, many other parameters are likely out of spec.

A small recap, cleaning, re-lubing and good settings and you would be even more that blown away.

Analog 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:13 pm 

You have to be careful. It is a compander system. It compresses the sound (1:2) to record it, then it expands it (2:1) for playback. In other words, on playback quiet passages become twice as quiet (including tape hiss) … and louder passages become twice as loud. If a signal isn't encoded, it will be very unpleasant when you play it back expanded. If you are pressing the DBX Disk button when you play normal LPs, you will get the same unpleasantries. There are also level controls to match the gain to other components. I would suggest that you read up a bit more before you damage something.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:48 pm 

Yes, sorting out the levels involves some guepsswork. I've been told my rogue have a very low input sensitivity and ive have been used to making recordings will the knobs turned on all the way (ie loud). This works fine if I'm just doing a normal recording. With the dbx on though it came off so loud I could barely turn the volume on. I think DBX itself might take over some of this functionality - or who knows. The recording I made today was amazing to my ears. I'm tempted to buy a type1 version so I can still work with 15ips. In the meantime those RTR has sounded better than ever. And I'm super happy with it

And it was serviced very recently just FYI..