Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:35 am 

I am interested. I am sitting at my desk and am listening to Bill Evans rehearsal (Copenhagen -1966) and realized how much my tastes have changed.

Many years ago, when I was a smoker, I could not eat ice cream....because it tasted so bad (no surprise). After I quit, suddenly ice cream tasted soooo gooood! Is music the same for you? I have found, as my equipment improved, I have become more aware of the intricacies and subtleties of different genres and types of music.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:55 am 

I'm not sure if they've changed as much as they've been "refined". I think when I was in my early teens and was discovering my preferences in all forms of art I was more of a blank slate and open to possibilities. I think I then started to chip away at the vast amounts of art I was exposed to and gravitated towards certain genres, finding a sweet spot which acts as a default setting and it becomes the benchmark to explore around. I'll expand like an elastic and occasionally try new things but return to a comfort zone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:16 am 

I don't need to listen to anything raging anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 am 

I find myself constantly exploring different music types. In fact, the older I get, the less concerned I am with genre. Rather, I find myself drawn to a variety music with "engaging" qualities that I can't easily define.

My core tastes have not changed....I still appreciate the same genres that I enjoyed 20+ years ago (folk, vocal jazz, alternative rock among others). However, as I continue to explore, I discover more and more music that is of interest. Most recently has been the discovery of New Wave (such as early Talking Heads), and even some electronica (Fatboy Slim). As recently 10 years ago, I would have NEVER thought these would be appealing to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 am 

Refined is a better way to put it as a previous poster noted. Although I find myself listening to far more classical and jazz than ever before. Also, I find as my rig gets better, I have less need to turn it up to hear the music "better". All the pieces seem to be there at lower levels. A good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:08 am 

More like expanded...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:12 am 

I am less likely to put on music that was in consistent rotation in my youth, however still rock out to early Aerosmith with some frequency.
I have been exploring through Jazz and figuring out what I like there. Trumpet has suddenly become a favorite instrument. I'm discovering the recorded sessions with Winton Marseilles and various artists at the Lincoln Jazz Centre. Just heard the Eric Clapton set the other day.
I also find I am listening to more of my father's music and have grown appreciative of how good some of it is. The song structures can be fantastic, great studio musicians playing and realizing how good some of the vocals were.
I credit a satellite subscription from a vehicle purchase for relighting a spark that had gone dim for 25 years and internet radio for being a gateway into keeping me interested; otherwise I would just have a cheap HT set up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:22 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
More like expanded...

Yup, what he said...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:31 am 

Changed?...……….……..YES!

I used to hate disco, now I hate rap.

del Sol

-- 12 Sep 2018 18:32 --

Changed?...……….……..YES!

I used to hate disco, now I hate rap.

del Sol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:08 am 
Premium User

Evolved. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
More like expanded...

This pretty much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 am 

My tastes have stayed pretty much the same except I'm finding that old school country doesn't make me want to pull a Van Gogh on my ears.
Toby Keith, Florida Georgia Tetnus Shots and what ever that cluster fu*k at the CMA show was, still makes me want to rip their tonsils out.
I'm much more laid back too. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm 

My tastes have come full circle. The first piece that really showed me the power of music was Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet when I was a nipper. Then Vaughn Williams, Bach, Berthoven, Shotakovich. Things got diverted when I hit my twenties and I started listening almost exclusively to electronic music (Autechre etc..). Now I'm back to Bach, Beethoven, Shostakovich, and few others again, only this time the obsession is greater as I feel the knowledge and experience has grown and thus the ability to understand the music has grown as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:24 pm 

I would say it has expanded, but there have also been some retractions.

I listened to a LOT of grunge in my 20's. Now I almost never do. So too alternative on the whole.
I only started listening to jazz in my 40's.
Still listen to some classic rock, blues, electronica, trance. A little classical (played violin for 9 years in my youth). A bit of rap, but mostly older stuff it seems.
My kids have brought pop back into my life - not sure it will stick once they are no longer influential on the car radio!

I have yet to get into country, opera, and several other genres. Not sure I will!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:59 pm 

No they really haven't...I grew up in a house (open log layout) where my parents would go from something classical to Joplin...Janis that is...I always loved that. Could be a rhythm...could be a bass note...could be anything that leads from one side to another.

Gee, sorta' shows...

But now I can indulge myself to sort of "fill out the back catalog"...