Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:54 am
Posts: 403
Location: Nanaimo, BC, CA
Interesting article sent to me on another site:
https://www.businessinsider.com/trntbl- ... iew-2018-3

_________________
I'm in my own little world - but that's OK, 'cause they know me here....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:50 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
I can see this having some traction but as of now it requires Sonos for listening and only creates playlists on Spotify.

_________________
"Im...a rather simple person with a limited talent and perhaps a limited perspective" - Bill Evans

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm
Posts: 6302
Location: Dodge City, NB, CA
I stopped reading when the guy put a " vinyl " on the TT.

_________________
BE KIND TO THE UNKIND...THEY NEED IT THE MOST.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:18 am
Posts: 4785
Location: Surrey , BC, CA
I wonder what the sound quality will be....?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am
Posts: 147
Location: Kitchener, ON, CA
Reminds me of the Ikea turntable.
Guess it's cool for the teenagers. I'm most definitely not the target demographic for this.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:02 am
Posts: 792
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
By playing vinyl through high-quality speaker systems like Sonos that can fill an entire house, you can listen to great sound, just even more enhanced.

Yeah... nothing about this sentence makes a lick of sense. Terrible marketing that will tragically take good money from millennials that could have got some good sounding with it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm
Posts: 2871
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Adriankn wrote:
By playing vinyl through high-quality speaker systems like Sonos that can fill an entire house, you can listen to great sound, just even more enhanced.

Yeah... nothing about this sentence makes a lick of sense. Terrible marketing that will tragically take good money from millennials that could have got some good sounding with it.

they are likely referring to Sonos multi zone ability where a single source can be connected to all other Sonos speakers through out the house. Reference sound it is not but that is not their market. Most Mellennials would rather the convenience over trying to extract every detail from a recording.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Markham, ON, CA
mpublicover wrote:
Adriankn wrote:
By playing vinyl through high-quality speaker systems like Sonos that can fill an entire house, you can listen to great sound, just even more enhanced.

Yeah... nothing about this sentence makes a lick of sense. Terrible marketing that will tragically take good money from millennials that could have got some good sounding with it.

they are likely referring to Sonos multi zone ability where a single source can be connected to all other Sonos speakers through out the house. Reference sound it is not but that is not their market. Most Mellennials would rather the convenience over trying to extract every detail from a recording.


Sadly true. Bad is it might sound, it is probable eminently better than a set of $30 ear buds playing MP3s off a cell phone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:02 am
Posts: 792
Location: Barrie, ON, CA
Well, I'm a millennial behind my times, I suppose.

I usually tell folks to multizone the digital stuff as best they can and rock a decent system for vinyl whether it be big or small. Vinyl, for me is about sitting down with it and enjoying it anyway. Flipping a record that's playing on another floor of my house doesn't appeal to me much. I've got a Roon server for listening on my network and a room to enjoy spinning.

I get that this may be one of the few ways to market to the masses. Mention Sonos, Spofity and Vinyl in the same breathe and the value of sound quality. Albeit, bluetoothing/wifi-ing vinyl is still bluetooth/wifi.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:32 am
Posts: 147
Location: Kitchener, ON, CA
Adriankn wrote:
Vinyl, for me is about sitting down with it and enjoying it anyway. Flipping a record that's playing on another floor of my house doesn't appeal to me much.

That's a good point.
Flipping records every 20 minutes isn't exactly ideal for background listening.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Wireless? Turntable
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:54 am
Posts: 403
Location: Nanaimo, BC, CA
Interesting replies. I have 2 millenials and 2 genx ers and just want them to listen....I myself have 5 turntables, 3 in use at all times. one is mc and the dedicated listening time. One is mono mm , and the other is mm testing new discs. This system is not in my future but thought others may find it interesting.

_________________
I'm in my own little world - but that's OK, 'cause they know me here....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group