Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:51 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Surrey, BC, CA
I see so many building the ACA kit from diyaudiostore, but what bothers me is the ridiculous price of the amp chassis they offer at $150 USD!!! It’s just a little aluminum box that can be had on eBay for as little $20-40. Made in China they are but so is Diy’s Store. They claim it’s an Italian made box, sure it is, after its made in China and shipped to Italy for assembly. That qualifies it as “made in Italy”.
The kit itself is rather inexpensive it seems but the minimal parts included are next to nothing in price.
So they take you on the electronics and on shamefully on the Chassis. Seriously, $150 for a chassis of its tiny size is THEIVERY!!!
And there are those who actually pay for it? Are you people that stupid? You are paying more for the chassis than the electronics.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:23 pm
Posts: 1148
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
Do you seriously want to make post #14 that insulting?

I'm not disagreeing about the kit being overpriced, but I also know people who are much more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of electrical design who have bought and built the amp, and have then enjoyed it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:39 pm
Posts: 1729
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
kcross wrote:
Do you seriously want to make post #14 that insulting?

I'm not disagreeing about the kit being overpriced, but I also know people who are much more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of electrical design who have bought and built the amp, and have then enjoyed it.


What does his post count have to do with the content of his post??? What does the box/chassis have to do with "technical aspects of electrical design"? I'm sure some people bought and built that amp and enjoy it. You'd think they might enjoy better if they knew the enclosure can be bought for 20% of the price?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:21 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 5174
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
I know one good designer who dropped the idea of marketing his amp simply because he couldn’t get a suitable enclosure at a price that would keep his baby competitive.

zhenya01 wrote:
I'm sure some people bought and built that amp and enjoy it. You'd think they might enjoy better if they knew the enclosure can be bought for 20% of the price?


We need to know exactly where that same amp camp enclosure can be had for thirty bucks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 am
Posts: 287
Location: Repentigny, QC, CA
I got a 50$ case for mine, it was decent. So, yes 150 is high.
BUT, convenience costs. Some folk do not mind.

A better use of time would be to come up with a rival kit; rather as the very helpful CAM member Frank Wang has for some of us here.
Battle on!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 12402
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
That chassis is far from overpriced and, it's pre-tapped. Here is a closer look at it.

https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

Here is an ebay find: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Express-Delivery-Full-Aluminum-Power-amplifier-Enclosure-chassis-case-heatsink/132429546518?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20180124145912%26meid%3D9893b54186fc438399720e16ba6b6c33%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D263340556654%26itm%3D132429546518&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

You supply all connectors, you pay customs.

_________________
I'm sure that the term "resolving" has way more to do with a sense of self worth than any scientific principle. - davinci_redux


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 875
Location: Markham, ON, CA
So what started this rant anyway? No coffee in the house? Or a self-inflated view of his knowledge? Or is it because he can't afford one?

I have two amp camp units. I enjoyed the assembly, the sound is amazing, and the chassis ARE made in Italy...not that it matters. What does matter is that the chassis are beautiful, anodized aluminum, CNC-manufactured, they fit together perfectly, look great, and will last a long time. the sound is really, really sweet.

In terms of the Chinese units, are they anodized? Maybe not. Do they fit together perfectly? Who knows. Are they much less expensive than the ones I got with my kit? Nope. My chassis, delivered from Italy, shipping included was about $15 more than the advert posted above. And the chassis I got was pre-drilled (CNC), guaranteed to fit the PCB, the various connectors I received with the kit, etc. In other words, turn key implementation of a quality component.

The OP needs to take a break....maybe drive by a playground and yell at the kids.....

-- 11 Sep 2018 20:15 --

Toby wrote:
I know one good designer who dropped the idea of marketing his amp simply because he couldn’t get a suitable enclosure at a price that would keep his baby competitive.

zhenya01 wrote:
I'm sure some people bought and built that amp and enjoy it. You'd think they might enjoy better if they knew the enclosure can be bought for 20% of the price?


We need to know exactly where that same amp camp enclosure can be had for thirty bucks.


Toby, you won't get an answer to that one. You know why.

I am always surprised at the ability of some posters to absolutely slag something that others' have made. I can only guess at the motivation, but the negativism (unwarranted IMO) is just mind-blowing.

For me, I am GRATEFUL that minds, more capable than mine, have designed a simple, easy to assemble, reasonably-priced alternative to much more expensive units....that sounds just as great. Credit where credit is due: Nelson Pass is a great mind, super designer, and DIY have done a great job of marketing and assembling the kits / instructions. This is not an easy thing to do.

To the OP: If you don't like it, just look away and don't buy it! If you can do better, then put together a kit and offer it up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 5:16 am
Posts: 97
Location: peterborough, ON, CA
"Drive by a playground and yell at the kids", lmfao!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 875
Location: Markham, ON, CA
willybilson wrote:
"Drive by a playground and yell at the kids", lmfao!


Thanks! :lol: If it were closer to Christmas, he'd be yelling at the neighbors that their Christmas lights are too bright!

Seriously, OP. Do you have any proof that the chassis is made in China? Nope. Because the chassis manufacturer is world-known, a supplier of a number of "known" brands, and is located in Italy. Assembled in Italy? Nope; the chassis is CNC'd in Italy. I have half a mind to post this thread to DIY and let them deal with you. There are legal remedies for libel. And posting inaccuracies in a negative way IS libel.

The whole premise of this thread is incorrect, inflammatory, and only proves the lack of research of the OP. Personally, I am tired of half-baked negative comments coming from a (very few) posters. Earlier it was some guy slagging a well-known (and respected) retailer for "cheating him"...turns out he got a 27% discount on demo speakers, then had buyer's remorse. Did he contact the retailer? Nope. Just went nuclear on the retailer on CAM and other forums. Is today a full moon?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 5174
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
Topic retitled to reflect content.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 14897
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
dcrecording wrote:
I see so many building the ACA kit from diyaudiostore, but what bothers me is the ridiculous price of the amp chassis they offer at $150 USD!!! It’s just a little aluminum box that can be had on eBay for as little $20-40. Made in China they are but so is Diy’s Store. They claim it’s an Italian made box, sure it is, after its made in China and shipped to Italy for assembly. That qualifies it as “made in Italy”.
The kit itself is rather inexpensive it seems but the minimal parts included are next to nothing in price.
So they take you on the electronics and on shamefully on the Chassis. Seriously, $150 for a chassis of its tiny size is THEIVERY!!!
And there are those who actually pay for it? Are you people that stupid? You are paying more for the chassis than the electronics.

The $40 FedEx brokerage and taxes was a bit of a burn, but the chassis is quality, silk-screened, and I don't have to drill or tap a single thing.

So, what can you get from $20-$40 from China that comes remotely close? If that's your price limit, have fun doing all the work. Just keep in mind, nobody is forcing you to buy it.

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:03 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
The full ACA kit is a bargain.

The Chassis is custom made for the ACA with all the screw holes and cutouts specifically for the amp.

A generic CHinese chassis will have to be drilled & punched, all of which will take longer than what it would take to just build the full kit. If you have the tools & want to spend the time, have at it, that is why one can just get boards, boards & bits, or even just the artwork.

The full kit is there to make a dead-easy kit for those who need a boost into diy.

I have 2 of the ACA running in mono (and a pair of the early single channel monobloks) and i feel that this amp is tremendous sounding, seems to have way more power than it does (ie it clips very gracefully), and an excellent introduction to Nelson’s amp — exactly as intended.

IMHO the OP is out-to-lunch and has not nearly factored everything in.

dave

PS: the Fedex snuck thru Canadian customs with no extra charges.

_________________
Community sites: Transmission Line Speakers | Frugal-Horns | Frugal-phile — Commercial site: planet10-hifi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 875
Location: Markham, ON, CA
The OP has not said another word. Not surprising.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:51 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Surrey, BC, CA
The $40 FedEx brokerage and taxes was a bit of a burn, but the chassis is quality, silk-screened, and I don't have to drill or tap a single thing.

So, what can you get from $20-$40 from China that comes remotely close? If that's your price limit, have fun doing all the work. Just keep in mind, nobody is forcing you to buy it.[/quote]

You can get a lot. Doing the work is the whole point of DIY and its fun!!! Thats right I dont have to buy it, but I do have the right to opinions and comments RIGHT? KInda like your comments telling me how to conduct my purchasing habits, AND THAT GOES FOR THE REST OF YOU who made snarky comments.
And there is nothing great about HIFI 2000 boxes. Do you all think because Made in Italy is on a sticker that makes it better than made in China?? If you only knew how many products you own that are made in China but say made in usa or such.
I have owned a lot of high end gear and built many tube audio projects so I am not new to building my own chassis and parts so I know what materials cost to build. To build chassis parts you need a metal foundry that can build molds for extrusion of profiles. These are large factories that require minimum foot length orders. Thats why ALMOST ALL COMPANIES who make aluminum chassis from extruded profiles do not make their own parts. Too expensive, thats why you are paying $150 USD for a tiny box.


Quite fitting
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PASS-2-full-Al ... 0752.m1982


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:51 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Surrey, BC, CA
brownslane wrote:
So what started this rant anyway? No coffee in the house? Or a self-inflated view of his knowledge? Or is it because he can't afford one?

I have two amp camp units. I enjoyed the assembly, the sound is amazing, and the chassis ARE made in Italy...not that it matters. What does matter is that the chassis are beautiful, anodized aluminum, CNC-manufactured, they fit together perfectly, look great, and will last a long time. the sound is really, really sweet.

In terms of the Chinese units, are they anodized? Maybe not. Do they fit together perfectly? Who knows. Are they much less expensive than the ones I got with my kit? Nope. My chassis, delivered from Italy, shipping included was about $15 more than the advert posted above. And the chassis I got was pre-drilled (CNC), guaranteed to fit the PCB, the various connectors I received with the kit, etc. In other words, turn key implementation of a quality component.

The OP needs to take a break....maybe drive by a playground and yell at the kids.....

-- 11 Sep 2018 20:15 --

Toby wrote:
I know one good designer who dropped the idea of marketing his amp simply because he couldn’t get a suitable enclosure at a price that would keep his baby competitive.

zhenya01 wrote:
I'm sure some people bought and built that amp and enjoy it. You'd think they might enjoy better if they knew the enclosure can be bought for 20% of the price?


We need to know exactly where that same amp camp enclosure can be had for thirty bucks.


Toby, you won't get an answer to that one. You know why.

I am always surprised at the ability of some posters to absolutely slag something that others' have made. I can only guess at the motivation, but the negativism (unwarranted IMO) is just mind-blowing.

For me, I am GRATEFUL that minds, more capable than mine, have designed a simple, easy to assemble, reasonably-priced alternative to much more expensive units....that sounds just as great. Credit where credit is due: Nelson Pass is a great mind, super designer, and DIY have done a great job of marketing and assembling the kits / instructions. This is not an easy thing to do.

To the OP: If you don't like it, just look away and don't buy it! If you can do better, then put together a kit and offer it up!


Nice attitudes, what kinda thing is that to say?? ""The OP needs to take a break....maybe drive by a playground and yell at the kids...."" [Post edited by mod to remove rules infraction]

And the Chinese boxes are fully finished, anodized and fit nicely. If you dont know about their quality why are you commenting???

-- 12 Sep 2018 06:33 --

kcross wrote:
Do you seriously want to make post #14 that insulting?

I'm not disagreeing about the kit being overpriced, but I also know people who are much more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of electrical design who have bought and built the amp, and have then enjoyed it.


I dont spend my life on forums so I will say what I feel like at #14 post [Post edited by mod to remove rules infraction], thats the whole point of this


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group