Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:33 am 

I just got these new a week ago and have put about 20 hours on them. They are dirt cheap at $329 plus tax - mine are white and I bought them from a local dealer.

Like many of us, my first pair of real hifi speakers were Canadian - mine were Paradigm 3se (not the mini version). I bought these new in 1986 and they created a huge problem for me for the next 30 years - they were so good, so balanced and so easy to listen to, many other "upgrades" were not as good overall. The other speakers went, the mighty Paradigms stayed. There were times when I had speakers on back order and these filled the space while I waited.

Two years ago, I realized like many on CAM I simply ended up with too many speakers - 7 pairs in my case so I decided to finally sell my mint 3se to a local CAMer. Nice fellow - they went to a good home.

Recently, I bought a basic Paradigm sub from a local CAMer (Thanks Estes) and decided I wanted Paradigm speakers as well. In come the SE Atoms.

All I can say is wow! In the main system, these replaced my Dynaudios which MSRP for 8 times as much. The Dynaudios are staying long term of course but the SE Atoms don't actually give up that much. I have been happily living with these since I bought them.

They cannot match the Dynaudios for soundstage, detail or tone but what the SE Atoms do is everything well within their limits. Even the midrange is very good for classical which is where a lot of budget speakers fail. They look great and like the 3se, the well-made grills should be left in place as they brace the cabinet, adding fullness and neutrality.

This is a great cheap mini for a first system, bedroom system or as a pair of speakers that you keep as everything around them changes - they will likely work well with most products as they do not try to do more than they can. There is no brightness, no boomy bass. Everything in its right place (to quote Radiohead).

I am pleased to have Paradigms in the house again.

Not a lot of reviews on this new model but strongly recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:08 am 

the paradigm 3se mini where one of the best budget speakers they made still sought after today

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:24 am 

Yes, have had a few Paradigm over the years also - another great Canadian Company.

The little Atoms are great value - just like the little Titans were many moons ago.
I had a pair of the older Atoms, great little speakers for the money!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:05 am 

Hi,

Note to banerjbe: Just like you I love it when I put a new speaker in my system and can then revel in 'what it does well'. I am always stunned at what the little inexpensive boxes are capable of producing. As the years roll on they just keep getting better and better. There are even a few oldies that shake me up. I refit a pair of Szabo 525s for a friend recently. He was going to sell. them. When I set them up after fitting new woofers I could hardly believe how good they sounded. I told him it was probably a mistake to sell them and he has them now singing in his bedroom.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:29 am 

I had at one time a pair of Paradigm Compact Monitors, the build quality and the sound were outstanding. Then I had to go and sell them, why? Yet I think a current speaker such as those would be superior, like many smaller speakers today.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:06 am 

+1
My first good speakers were Paradigm 7se, and I still have them. I've also accumulated a pair each of: 3se, Titan v.2, and Compact Monitors (in need of a bit of refurbishing). Maybe I'm limiting my horizons, but I've been happy with all of these, especially for the value they bring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:11 am 

Still have a pair of Energy C3's that I bought around 2000 for $500.00 and a pair of Paradigm Studio 10's that I bought about five years ago. Both share the same traits that the op mentioned and thus the reason I still own them. They make great " fill-in " speakers whenever I'm between speakers or playing with systems for the fun of it. Both perform way closer to much more expensive speakers than they should. Yeah Canada!. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:29 am 

Paradigm Titans and a passive SB100 subwoofer started me off in university in the late 80's.

Thanks Natural Sound in KW!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:31 pm 

Hi,

Not trying to shill here - just using the thread and some nostalgia. If anyone needs a pair of original Paradigm 5se grills as well as two tweeters from that speaker (Audax TD19 I think) I will let you have them for the cost of shipping. PM me.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:40 pm 

I picked up a pair of Shift A2 actives for $400 and was stunned by what they produced. stupid to let them go when I think of what I've spent on my small streaming system since then.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:51 pm 

Have a friend who bought a pair of Merak standmount Speakers back in the early nineties. Canadian made. I forget how they sound but he searched a long time before settling on them. He hated speaker with a lot of hiss in the tweeter ( what’s the word for that?) . I need to pay him a visit someday soon. Tells me he still uses them . Canadian built quality.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:00 pm 

Agreed 100 %. They are a good budget reference speaker. I bought Atom's and then Titan 's when they came out. Recently found a pair of original Atom 's at a pawn shop for cheap. After a re foam kit on the woofers they sound great . So good I went and got the newest version . Although I think my Elac B6 has better base response .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:02 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Note to banerjbe: Just like you I love it when I put a new speaker in my system and can then revel in 'what it does well'. I am always stunned at what the little inexpensive boxes are capable of producing. As the years roll on they just keep getting better and better. There are even a few oldies that shake me up. I refit a pair of Szabo 525s for a friend recently. He was going to sell. them. When I set them up after fitting new woofers I could hardly believe how good they sounded. I told him it was probably a mistake to sell them and he has them now singing in his bedroom.

Cheers,
David Neice

Szabos were killer sounding. Loved them but they were a bit more money back in the day - I was a poor student in the mid 1980s. The company eventually folded but a member of the family reached out to me based on a CAM post a few years ago. They were looking for a copy of the brochure which I had and was able to send them a copy.

There were so many good Canadian bookshelf speakers. I loved the classic Paisley, Mirage, Axiom and PSB models too. I looked for years for the first gen larger Axioms (possible called AX5) but have never found a nice pair. They looked a lot like the 3se but much larger.

The 3se had that nice BBC look to them even though they were completely different sounding.

-- 11 Sep 2018 20:03 --

AudVid lover 57 wrote:
Agreed 100 %. They are a good budget reference speaker. I bought Atom's and then Titan 's when they came out. Recently found a pair of original Atom 's at a pawn shop for cheap. After a re foam kit on the woofers they sound great . So good I went and got the newest version . Although I think my Elac B6 has better base response .

So you have the same speaker as me?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:08 pm 

"Always stunned at what the little inexpensive boxes are capable of producing" I Agree .

-- 12 Sep 2018 01:17 --

Had the Axiom 1.5 's years ago. Thought they were decent . SO many good Canadian speakers!! Years later it was cool to tour the Axiom plant and R &D facility .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 am 

I still use a pair of original Atom's in my second system. A very fine inexpensive speaker.