Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 am 

Well guys, what do you think? Should I restore a sears silvertone console from the 60s or upgrade with newer 70s vintage, like old Mac stuff, restore with new, or keep it original?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:19 am 

Around here restore can mean anything from wiping dust off to an actual proper restoration lol!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:20 am 

If you want to retain the usually low quality sound, 60's or 70's ain't much difference.
I turned my solid wood Motorola cabinet into an audio stand for the living room.
others use them for building book shelves, cat play units.
lots of pics on line of conversions.
as for restoration of the audio... I recyled the bsr (?) table, electronics etc. not worth my time.
there is a store in Winnipeg that turns them around for the non serious listener. some nice cabinetry etc, but not sound worthy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:36 am 

Old console stereos with the big top lid as a door
We would call them "coffin stereos"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 am 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Around here restore can mean anything from wiping dust off to an actual proper restoration lol!

Lol!!

That was probably a budget priced unit in it's day, so may not worth the expense unless you want to do it yourself for the experience.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:27 am 

You don't mention what you expect from the console. Are you going for looks? If so, the cabinet needs to be in good shape as many of these cabinets had a photograhic finish on them and there is no easy or cheap way to restore them. Are you trying to keep a family heirloom in working order? If so, I would fix the electronics and go no further and just enjoy it for what it is. Ifyou are going for modern sound quality, don't go for a console. The speakers will not be very good sounding with anything but what came inside it originally. Replacing the speakers will be a nightmare to find something that sounds modern. Also, todays magnetic cartridge turntables will balk at the bass interference from the close proximity to the speakers. You could install a Dual changer, but that requires cabinetry work and some butchery. The most important thing to think of is, if you are going to do anything other than keep it original, do it for yourself. Do not think of "How much I put into it and what can I sell it for", it will never sell. It will be like any other custom furniture, it will not fit anyone elses decor and you will not recoup anywhere near the money you put into it. That said, if it currently works now, try it, see if you like it as is. It may surprise you how pleasant it sounds, especially for the radio. Don't discount the electronicsuntil you see what they are and hear them. There are people on CAM who butcher old Electrohome consoles for the amplifiers and try to sell them. I had a Motorola that had a 6V6 push pull amplifier and a top quality ceramic cartridge, a Sonotone 9T that had a very good sound, for a console. If you keep the original changer, the cartridge will not be suitable for modern records but thrift store finds or family relics will be okay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:50 am 

Hi
For inspiration and ideas ,check the link below of Michael Fremer visit to a shop that makes high end stereo consoles
https://youtu.be/G0NR8W2qqVY

Best
George

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:15 am 

Depends if it is worth it to you. My old Victorola console looks good from the outside but the electronics do need a dire fixing. I retubed it recently but for some reasons the right channel dies after 10 minutes of operation. Perhaps it will need recapping and the resistors probably need replacing too to bring it back to its former self. What I like about this console is, it is well-made mahogany furniture which attributes to its good looks and sound when everything is operating optimally. Something to note beside the RCA made electronics, the turntable was made by Coronado which by the way, you can still get parts for it, go figure eh. For all its intent and purposes, it does look good as a planter, says the wife.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:18 pm 
Premium User

Is it transistor or tube? I don't both with Transistor units from that time period. There were some nice EL84 / 6BQ5 SE units that can sound rather nice when operating properly. Another nice thing about that vintage of stereo is you could usually play 33/45/78 records. Nothing about them has "Audiophile" sound, but can be enjoyable.

I have one complete console and pulled the amp out of another one. Space is at a premium.

Sometimes you can find some very good sought after speakers in the larger units. In one console that I found and gutted it had a very nice Garrad TT and a pair of Heathkit / Jensen AS-27 / Sigma SG-300 Triaxial speakers, that I still have and use. Sometimes you luck out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:32 am 

Well, decided to gut it. Speakers work fine so I'll keep them. Installing a Denon 730h Wi-Fi receiver. And will eventually install a budget table. Also installed a charging station . Pics when done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:29 am 

Around 10 years ago I picked up an older Telefunken console.

Removed the stock record player (I am strictly PC front end) and replaced it with a 17 inch monitor. Hid a PC in the console and had my media server installed. I did not use any speakers in the unit, I fed it to my main system and was just using the console as a piece of furniture.

When I renovated the basement (finished it) I ended up getting rid of the console.

I love the idea of using one with speakers built in, it would look great in my living room where we have some mid century modern furniture - but it sure takes up a lot of space at 6 feet long!

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:27 pm 

Here’s one I just acquired.

A 40’s RCA Art Deco conversion, complete with Isophon speakers, a Marantz 2220, and little Dual table.
I am just cleaning it up now. Need to tidy up a few things, but overall - nice!

Attachments:
337A53C2-4F26-4729-A5D0-91DE544F2245.jpeg
337A53C2-4F26-4729-A5D0-91DE544F2245.jpeg [ 300.57 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]
4E816FA4-FCC3-473C-B9AF-082408E84D32.jpeg
4E816FA4-FCC3-473C-B9AF-082408E84D32.jpeg [ 297.6 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:43 pm 

I did a project on a console and I find it's pretty much about looks unless there was something truly spectacular about the electronics. There wasn't- although I did retain the original amp and tuner/preamp. It had a TV so a nice flatscreen and better turntable will work wonders. I have another one, and I'm thinking of my B&O top-loading gear for that, another Telefunken as mentioned. No, leaving some lousy old electronics in one is just a disservice to beautiful craftsmanship I think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:23 pm 

JGP wrote:
Here’s one I just acquired.

A 40’s RCA Art Deco conversion, complete with Isophon speakers, a Marantz 2220, and little Dual table.
I am just cleaning it up now. Need to tidy up a few things, but overall - nice!

Wow very nice indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:22 pm 

Well, with just a few little touch ups I'll be done. Installed a Pro-ject debut table with a Denon avr 730h. Keeping the original speakers until a mishap.

Attachments:
20180919_181935.jpg
20180919_181935.jpg [ 347.53 KiB | Viewed 361 times ]