Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Record Weight
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:47 pm 

Hi all. I have a new table and don't care for the record weight that it came with. I've been a clamp man to date, but the new one requires a weight. Any preferences? Do you find sound is affected with too much weight? What's a decent weight your opinion? I dont think think there is any concern for the motor with this rig, but curious if there is an ideal range for quality sound. Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Record Weight
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:58 pm 

The stillpoints record weight is the best one I have used. Cost a bit but we'll worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:17 pm 

Jason, PM sent to you regarding stillpoints weight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:25 pm 

MOON wrote:
The stillpoints record weight is the best one I have used. Cost a bit but we'll worth it.

+1

I own tons of various record weight and the Stillpoints LP1 is IMHO the best. The Furutech Monza is a close second. For some reason I never liked either the regular or heavy HRS record weight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 pm 

Wow, I wasn't expecting there to be any agreement here. I will check that out. Thanks.

Edit - Goddang that's expensive. Going to have to do some reading. Seem to be some good reviews though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:03 pm 
Premium User

I've tried a great many record weights and recently bought a Harmonix TU-812 M "Million " Maestro LP Record Clamp.

I took it to a friends who was having a IGT and tried it out against a number of other weights, including the HRS...in the end it was determined that the 'Million' was the most 'natural'.

I know Corby is a dealer and would be happy to demo this for you. :)

Attachments:
Harmonix TU-812 M Million  Maestro LP Record Clamp.jpg
Harmonix TU-812 M Million Maestro LP Record Clamp.jpg [ 255.36 KiB | Viewed 1425 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:34 pm 

That's even more, lol.

Sorry, I can't help but be a bit skeptical. I had no intention of spending that amount. That said, cant hurt to demo. I need to get the table up and running and maybe do some experimenting when I get familiar with the sound.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:17 am 

There is always concern for the motor (and bearings/bushings) when the TT is spinning more weight than it is designed for. The TT manufacturer should be able to tell you the maximum weight.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:22 am 

Tom_r wrote:
There is always concern for the motor (and bearings/bushings) when the TT is spinning more weight than it is designed for. The TT manufacturer should be able to tell you the maximum weight.

Seems to me that most belt drive tables are ill-equipped to handle such weight.

My now long gone HK T-60 came with a weight but it was ribbon-drive so... :roll:

I still use a POD on my Rega P-9 and would never consider burdening it with any kind of weight. It couples the record to the platter to an extent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:43 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Voodoo Funk wrote:
I've tried a great many record weights and recently bought a Harmonix TU-812 M "Million " Maestro LP Record Clamp.

I took it to a friends who was having a IGT and tried it out against a number of other weights, including the HRS...in the end it was determined that the 'Million' was the most 'natural'.

alan, that weight performs at a totally different level when paired with the matching harmonix mat. you're welcome to try it anytime.
Attachment:
harmonix 2.jpg
harmonix 2.jpg [ 303.4 KiB | Viewed 1312 times ]

having said that, the stillpoints is excellent and I have found the clearaudio innovation weight to outperform most everything except the harmonix.
the nasotec is another option at a fraction of the cost.

Attachment:
lp weights 1.jpg
lp weights 1.jpg [ 440.37 KiB | Viewed 1312 times ]

local 905-689-1976
Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma, Haniwa, Audiodesk, Acoustic Signature, Reed, Cardas, Dynavector, Benz micro, Harmonix, Allnic, Ortofon
BBIC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:25 am 
Premium User

corby wrote:
Voodoo Funk wrote:

alan, that weight performs at a totally different level when paired with the matching harmonix mat. you're welcome to try it anytime.
Attachment:
harmonix 2.jpg

having said that, the stillpoints is excellent and I have found the clearaudio innovation weight to outperform most everything except the harmonix.
the nasotec is another option at a fraction of the cost.

Attachment:
lp weights 1.jpg

When I bought the clamp it was explained to me that the mat were most useful on suspended turntables. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:56 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Voodoo Funk wrote:
When I bought the clamp it was explained to me that the mat were most useful on suspended turntables. 8)

more useful? that's a tough statement to qualify. i don't own any suspended tables. however, the mat with the clamp is spectacular on all of my rigid tables. the clamp without the mat is very good, but not spectacualr. maybe it's even more spectacular on a suspended table? :D

it's all relative anyway. every clamp and mat will react differently in everyone's system. just like cables, tweaks etc.
the various clamps must be tried to find the best fit, both in price and performance.

local 905-689-1976
Kuzma, Clearaudio, Rega, Music Hall, Charisma, Haniwa, Audiodesk, Acoustic Signature, Reed, Cardas, Dynavector, Benz micro, Harmonix, Allnic, Ortofon
BBIC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:39 am 

EON made in Canada
No weight on the bearings

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:01 am 

Hey all. I'm amazed at the emphasis on this, I really thought a weight is a weight. I'm not concerned about the bearing or motor. The platter is like 25 pounds, and it uses two massive motors and 6 belts. One belt on one table is enough to run the table, so I can't help but think I have some leeway here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:38 am 

PBB wrote:
Tom_r wrote:

Seems to me that most belt drive tables are ill-equipped to handle such weight.

This is not true. Rotational inertia of an object depends on its mass and it also depends on the distribution of that mass relative to the axis of rotation. Since the record weight’s mass is concentrated at the axis of rotation (spindle), the additional torque required by the motor is not that much. Now if we are talking about a periphery weight, that’s a different story.