Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: JBL Speakers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:00 pm 

Can someone give me an idea about what is a good entry point to get the authentic, classic, jbl sound. I listen mostly to classical and want something dynamic with great soundstaging and imaging. I’m just looking for jbl suggestions. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: JBL Speakers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:19 pm 

malthuse wrote:
Can someone give me an idea about what is a good entry point to get the authentic, classic, jbl sound. I listen mostly to classical and want something dynamic with great soundstaging and imaging. I’m just looking for jbl suggestions. Thanks!

Consider mid 1970's JBL's like L36 or L100 at a minimum for the true JBL sound. These are true full range speakers, three way port reflex design.

The Presence and Brilliance (mid and high freq) settings can trim the slight brightness and upper mid sound that can be fatiqueing with the wrong amp/pre amp and turntable. I play my L36 speakers with a Harman Kardon A402 integrated pre-out to a Hafler DH200. I have a Technics SL1100A with Nagoaka MP11 B cartridge.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:30 pm 

I will repost some first-hand comments about the “vintage” JBL L100s

My take: I owned them personally for a decade so I know their strengths and their warts VERY well.

My take — if you are a classical music fan, then IMO, these are the last ones I would choose. FWIW, I include classical music in my favourites also.

JBL100's: they are 70’s era Nostalgia throwbacks with some stark audio performance characteristics that the uninitiated need to consider before taking a plunge.

(1) THE CAUTIONARY PART:

I had the JBL L100's back in my misspent youth days way back in the Jurassic era in audio (.... the 70’s...): my university days. Sure.... they were touted as “studio monitors” of THAT era. But let’s examine what was under that hood.

They were studio monitors that were a heavily-coloured " California" sound speaker ( Google the term ...) with a heavily coloured Off-natural frequency curve to perform with an exaggerated treble and bass frequencies boost to actually accentuate a performance to be better tailored to the popular pop and rock music general presentation of that era. They were designed AND marketed as party speakers that you could play loud. I ran them with a MARANTZ 2245 receiver ( very minimalist when compared to today’s power supplies in a quality-build amp)
(...There was a contrasting “Eastern Sound “ with AR, ADVENT and other similar offerings that were the midrange performers for the classical and jazz music genres played at moderate levels...)

(2) Remember that all of these 70’s geezer-rock era speakers have significant warts via some ultra-cheap build components:

(A) ultra-cheap basic spring-loaded speaker binding posts that limited speaker cables to uber-cheap that you can find and thus crummy 18-gauge zip cord speaker wires from Home Depot.
without prejudice to any performance limitations therein, their advanced age and cheap build predicate these these crappy speaker cable posts need replacement soon if not done already.

(B) given their very advanced age, they will likely need speaker surround refoaming PDQ also (if not already) and maybe even new caps in lockstep.

(C) Google the want ads for replacement foam grills and the stupid prices being asked.

MY TAKEAWAY:

- That does not favour them as preferred jazz or classical Genre performers.

- If you favour nostalgia primarily in the first overall and favour 60s- 70s hard rock and primarily if played loud, then these JBLs will be your boomy, bloated, and thus arguably wooly bass party speaker... No problem.

- If you are actually looking for a non-coloured flat response balanced musical presentation with superior imaging, especially with all the other music genres and especially classical ..... look elsewhere. These include inter alia, HARBETH, REGA, B&W, Jean Marie Reynaud, PROAC, SPENDOR, and a vast plethora of similar Euro offerings that immediately come to mind.
Current brands all have superior performance models with all the dynamic slam you can imagine even at normal listening levels; as long as they are properly paired with high-end build electronics (amp AND source).

Why: They all excel at what the vintage JBL’s do not : their midrange.
Get the midrange right and everything else will fall into place. Get it wrong, and all the king’s horses.....

IF YOU REALLY HAVE YOUR HEART SET ON JBL L100’s ......THE SUPERIOR ALTERNATIVE : JBL Unleashes L100 Classic Speakers at CES 2018

The brand new 2018 model re-issue will eliminate the old speaker potential repair issues at a minimum, and current spec 2018 build quality will be be BIG BIG step up. Now, nostalgia buffs music can experience the illusory glory of what was once sold as a stand mount studio monitor speaker thanks to the introduction of the JBL L100 Classic at CES 2018.

I have not heard them personally, but friends who have all agree that the new model audio performance is comparatively better based on improved crossovers and much better build drivers and even the cabinets and the retread issue even has the bold foam grills appearance.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/jbl ... l-included

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdet ... assic.html

Last edited by Gunner on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:31 pm 

Budget? No JBL speakers will give you "audiophile" style of soundstaging and imaging....maybe the Everest DD xxxxx but you know the price of entry....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:21 am 

If you find a pair of JBL 4410s, grab em. From the 80s. Classical music sounds great on them. I use a Tube Preamp and a SS AMP in this system.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:26 am 
Premium User

If ever try 4412, bridges vintage and modern and not so expensive. I EASILY preferred them over jubal testing on speaker switch box though the jubal had slight better highs which is normal. L112 is something too and or 4411 which is similar. Most all vintage jbl are harsh like (LE25 family tweeters) and you hear a cabinet making sound with not very good 3D effect. The 4412 sound cabinetless maybe due to crossover components being less old.
Two way 15"'s are all pretty stellar. D130, le14a and 2235h ect. I have 4320 (upgraded to 3way) and L55. They are Very musical. Once you hear 15" bass it is hard to go back to 12". Just simply lacking compared. Then there's the whole world of jbl horns, compression drivers..on and on..

Last edited by byefi on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:15 am 

like previously said, jbl are great for hard rock or party , also good for jazz with lot s of beat.but are not very well suited for classical music or acoustic musical instrument. best for electronic music(electric guitar, synthetyzer…)
would be better for you small 2 ways with 8 inch or smaller drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:22 am 

I recently read that JBL is reintroducing the L100. Same funky grills in a 3 way design. I have no idea how they sound but it might be worth investigating.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:08 am 

Least expensive true JBL was a full range 12” white lansaplast raw driver with the tweeter mounted centrally.
Can’t recall exact model number. Crossover was a single cap or resistor, you built your own enclosure to spec from 3/4 “ presswood or plywood and added port with tube . The suround was some sort of pleated fabric not foam. You could buy a new pair of drivers for $100.00. Was best bang for your buck back then if you had woodworking skills.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:45 am 

libor wrote:
Budget? No JBL speakers will give you "audiophile" style of soundstaging and imaging....maybe the Everest DD xxxxx but you know the price of entry....

+1

JBL Everest DD67000 are part of the JBL Luxury model that look and sound great !!

https://jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/ ... 67000.html
http://www.highendnews.info/reviews/JBL ... D67000.htm

..."If you want bone-crushing dynamics this speaker delivers in spades. If you’re chasing electrostatic panel-type soundstage depth and imaging, it provides that too...they allow forensic inspection of recordings and deliver revelatory detail"- HiFi News

BUT..... they go for $110,000 SRP (USD)....gulp!

Heck..... even the new 2018 model JBL L100 Classic standmounts are $4000 (USD) .....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=63ZcYX-MYO0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:57 am 

I rescued, and refoamed, a couple of pairs of L-112 speakers. With a bit more fiberglass inside, and raised off the floor, they were pretty good.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:55 am 

going back to it....my late JBL 4350A speakers were the best speakers I ever experienced for like late 60 ties Jazz (Blue Note, Prestige etc) Nothing and read again nothing comes close to it in that category even the new speakers. But hard to get and again what kind of budget are you thinking?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:49 am 

https://www.youtube.com/user/hosoken007 ... ?query=JBL

-- 30 Aug 2018 09:56 --

DHMC2000 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/user/hosoken007/search?query=JBL

http://novo.press/jbl-4312-se-70th-anni ... peakers/2/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw9giT4WT90

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:19 pm 

audioheritage is a good place to start

basically, id hunt for jbl l300 or 4343.

4412 is a stunning system for cheap.

4430 are also great

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:36 pm 

Not a huge budget. I just want to get a flavour for the sound. Hearing a pair of old Tannoys blew my mind. I had heard that the jbl are quite dynamic. Soundstaging is very important to me though and it sounds like that isn’t their strength.