Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:29 am 

The main one for me used to be The Reuse Center in Burlington. But now that is gone the last two years.....

Any recommendations?

Is Mezners (spelt wrong) still having a record stall up there on highway 5 , Dundas?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:15 am 

Now I'm curious ... what is a "vinyl bolthole"? Is it like a pothole, but filled with vinyl in lieu of asphalt?

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:52 am 
Premium User

Tom_r wrote:
Now I'm curious ... what is a "vinyl bolthole"? Is it like a pothole, but filled with vinyl in lieu of asphalt?

Had to look it up myself. British term for a spot where someone can go & hide or escape to.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:55 am 

Place to escape to, Jimmeh.

In this case, a used lp emporium of some sort (fleamarket,store...).
Vinyl haven.

Vinyl ports of call.

Spill, Jimmeh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:44 am 

PCV Records in Oakville. 649 fourth line. Great selection and bargain prices, especially on used vinyl. John and his staff are great people.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:50 am 

shawnwes wrote:
Tom_r wrote:

Had to look it up myself. British term for a spot where someone can go & hide or escape to.
That's a relief! I thought he misspelled 'butthole'... :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:55 am 

ripblade wrote:
shawnwes wrote:
Tom_r wrote:

That's a relief! I thought he misspelled 'butthole'... :oops:

I thought it referred to a good record store he was looking for. :lol: Nowhere to hide if there was one although lots of lookers only which is why vinyl retailers (selling both new reissues and quality used vinyl) don't seem to stay in biz these days. I guess that in the right area with either enough population and or visitors, tourist spots etc., it might work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:02 pm 

I second PVC in Oakville. Nice selection, great people. Located on the corner of Speers Road & Fourth Line. Easy to get to from the QEW.

There is also "The Beat Goes On", which is now selling used & new records. They have a variety of locations from Oakville to Kitchner.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:26 pm 

PCV in Oakville is where I go monthly. Great store, owned by great guys, one of which (Tim) is from the UK.

I seem to remember another store in downtown Burlington (Looney Tunes?)which was a mess but had lots of vinyl.

There is also Rics Recollections in Port Credit on Lakeshore Road. A bit more money but outstanding condition. Very good store. The owner is a character and you have to pay for parking but it is my go to place if you are looking for something specific.

You might also want to hit some of the great vinyl stores in downtown TO that are walking distance (under one hour) to Union such as Kops on Queen (everything) , Play de Record on Spadina (hip hop and new music) and Atelier Grigorian (classical and jazz) in Yorkville.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:06 am 

Anyone up for some Bangers and Mash?

Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:15 am 

Stop, stop, please stop: the words "used vinyl" make me cringe. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:07 am 

Kops & Play de Record are for folk wot have no taste. That kind of store - as well as mall record stores - can blow it out the ass.

Paul at Looney Tunes knows his fusion. And the records are always in excellent shape.

Ric's Recollections lps are immaculate and I've seen rare prog/psych there. But prices are high.

There are 4/5 record stores on Ottawa Street, Hamilton. It would be interesting what some of you think of those.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:17 am 

Quote:
Kops & Play de Record are for folk wot have no taste.

Perhaps. While 95% of what is in these stores is of no interest to me, I have found some classic jazz albums in these stores at very reasonable prices.
It occurs to me that I should not post this, as more people will go after the jazz records in these stores :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 am 

PBB wrote:
Stop, stop, please stop: the words "used vinyl" make me cringe. :cry:

Alarm coursed through his system as he lifted arms in entreaty.
"How could you do this to me? WHY are you doing this to me?" he screamed , helpless in the throes of horror.

The vision of dusty, old, MOLDY records loomed before him...taunting.....inflicting all manner of mental pain.
He sank to his knees and...cried.

Last edited by The Deacon on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:01 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:
Quote:
Kops & Play de Record are for folk wot have no taste.

Perhaps. While 95% of what is in these stores is of no interest to me, I have found some classic jazz albums in these stores at very reasonable prices.
It occurs to me that I should not post this, as more people will go after the jazz records in these stores :wink:

They also have the lowest prices on new stuff. I bought my entire CAN back catalogue from PdR as well as part of my King Crimson. Yes they are a DJ shop but owned by a wonderful family and a great record store.

I ended up getting a fair number of my jazz reissues as well as 1970s jazz/soul LPs from them. The store does require a bit of effort to find stuff but worth it. I also get replacement stylii from them. Earlier this year, I even bought a Numark portable record player from them and this item is one of the most fun things I own.