Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Subwoofer for music
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:09 am 

I have a NAD C388 integrated amp and KEF R300 satellite speakers. I mostly listen to music from my turntable Rega P3 or streaming Tidal. I was thinking of extending the bass capability of my system by adding a sub. I am very happy with the way my system sounds but curious if it would be even more enjoyable with a subwoofer.

My question is what Subwoofers would be a good match for my system for music listening?
I understand sealed subs are better for music than ported design.
My room is medium size, and due to the layout my listening position is kind of in the middle of it, speakers against the wall.

Post subject: Re: Subwoofer for music
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:13 am 

2 subs are better than one . Bass does come in stereo so summed bass is a always compromise for 2ch (LFE for surround is a different can of fish ). A pair of good quality 6's or 8's would be my choice .
Keep them as close to the mains as possible and integration will be simpler . You may be in for a feedback rumble with the Rega but that can be overcome . Moving the Kef's out from the wall will do wonders for the image . Just my opinionated observations of my accumulated experience from my own systems and the many I installed for others .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:20 am 

Thank you, appreciate the input

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:50 am 

Two are better than one even played back in mono. Ideal placement will be the trick - try middle between mains + one side wall middle and work from there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:49 am 

What brand would be a good match for my KEF speakers?
I'm hearing a lot of good things about SVS but they don't make subs small enough.
There was a thread about Totem Kin subs that appears to be getting very positive reviews
Any other recommendations?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:10 am 

hi K

I'll add my 2 cents..

I've have been experimenting with SUBS in my 2 channel system for the last couple years.
For context, I have all Bryston electronics and 3-way speakers that can reach fairly high SPL's with low distortion.

Although my speakers can reach pretty deep into the low frequencies, like you, I was interested in digging deeper to achieve higher dynamic range.

After some research, I decided REL Acoustics subs are very well designed, and the company appears to be truly interested in achieving great sound quality - and specifically considers 2-channel applications. https://rel.net/product-category/serie-ti/

To start, I went with at single REL328 sub. As recommended by REL, i placed it to the right of the right speaker and positioned it close to the corner wall and angled towards the listening position.

Adding the single sub made a HUGE difference in my listening experience. The subwoofer essentially disappeared in the room, as if the added bass was coming directly from the speakers! Pretty amazing.
The thing with REL, they designed the connection to integrate directly with the speaker terminals on your amplifier. In this way, the electronic signature of your amplifier is fed directly to the amplifier in the subwoofer. Overall, this design provides a more even and consistent integration of the sub to the entire system.

I was so pleased with adding a single sub that I recently added another REL328 - and set up both 328's in stereo. One in each front corner.

As you can imagine, the second subwoofer essentially doubled the output - so each sub needed to be turned down quite a bit to balance the extended output. But the balance achieved with the second sub was quite noticeable. The room itself seems to behave better with 2 subs - with slightly better imaging and definitely crispier notes. I believe having the subs turned down so low helps them to integrate into the soundstage. It's quite something. It makes me feel like my speakers are full range monster speakers with effortless control in the 30Hz range. But it's the REL;s!

For your system, I would suggest going with a single REL T7 sub to start. Then consider purchase of a second T7 sub at a later date.

Definitely go for it - it adds so much to the overall experience. I can't believe i doubted subwoofers in two channel systems for so long!

Good luck

TJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am 

Thank you Terry!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:47 am 

Research the Harman International multiple sub papers. The actual science has been around for decades. The AudioKinesis swarm info is worth investigating....I implement a DIY version with my 4 way onmi's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:41 pm 

+1 for the recommendation of REL...they are more of a sub bass system than a subwoofer. If extending your speakers bottom end is your goal then the REL or the Sumiko brand are a great choice.
If you go with REL or Sumiko, make sure that you use the High Level Neutrik Speakon connection.

Aaron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:49 pm 

REL does look very good, but a bit on the pricey side of things. Especially if the cable to connect it to my amp have to be purchased separately.
Ouch: https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/col ... sline-blue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:45 pm 

Quote:
I recently added another REL328 - and set up both 328's in stereo. One in each front corner

While I'm happy this is working for you, for many it won't. It seems counter intuitive, but with sub's you generally DON'T want a symmetrical, front biased placement. The reason is that at sub frequencies (typically below 80 Hz) they're omni directional, and radiate in a sphere. Having a symmetrical placement will emphasize room resonant modes. Often the best performance is achieved with an asymmetrical placement, so the second sub excites modes the first doesn't, resulting in a more even response as you move around the room.

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:57 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
Quote:
I recently added another REL328 - and set up both 328's in stereo. One in each front corner

While I'm happy this is working for you, for many it won't. It seems counter intuitive, but with sub's you generally DON'T want a symmetrical, front biased placement. The reason is that at sub frequencies (typically below 80 Hz) they're omni directional, and radiate in a sphere. Having a symmetrical placement will emphasize room resonant modes. Often the best performance is achieved with an asymmetrical placement, so the second sub excites modes the first doesn't, resulting in a more even response as you move around the room.

Cheers, Dave

Absolutely agree for a theater set up . The op asked about a HiFi application were the subs are right and left source driven which is not the same as LFE .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:01 pm 

I agree with the recommendation for REL and I also use two. I have a pair of stand mount mini monitors that go quite low but the RELs added that extra little bit that really makes a difference. I started with the corner placement but found too much bloated bass even with the settings which are quite infinite ,tweaked. I ended up moving the subs to just behind the mains and very happy with the sound. I think the key is to avoid the HT set up and spend some time with the settings. You don't want much if your system sounds great with out the subs so keep the volume down on them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:15 pm 

Krisztian wrote:
REL does look very good, but a bit on the pricey side of things. Especially if the cable to connect it to my amp have to be purchased separately.
Ouch: https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/col ... sline-blue

That cable (depending on length) can be DIY for $50-80, if you have the skills.

Description from their website:
"The greatest area of improvement lies in the manner in which the entire soundstage is illuminated. This is a quality quite different from brightness. Illumination acts to bring light into the stage and renders contrast and clarity as well as dynamic shadings much more evident."

Whoever wrote this should be writing Hollywood scripts, nought said.

Last edited by Bandy on Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:23 pm 

another vote for REL here...I have 2 REL T7i which i think are the best in sound versus $$$ ratio there is.....