Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post subject: Internet signal cabling
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:31 am 

So you’ve got your system the way you like it...and your primary source is the internet. Streaming internet radio or Tidal, watching Netflix. And you are lucky enough to have fibre optic cabling service to your house. You are pretty much stuck with a Bell/Rogers or similar modem to receive your signal.

But could it get a bit better?

Here are a couple of far fetched, or perhaps not, ideas....

1. Upgrade the “Bell” modem power supply.
2. Upgrade the Ethernet cable running from the modem to your Smart TV and/or streamer.

Anyone tried either of these? There seem to be products to meet that need.

By the way, I do believe power/cabling makes a big difference, so no point trying to convince me otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:31 pm 

I haven't tried this, and don't believe it will help (beyond the basics), but you're welcome to try if you wish...

The thing is that the data you're streaming doesn't simply arrive and is played. The data comes in bursts of data, generally referred to as packets. The packet is checked for errors, and if there are some, a request for resend is made. If it's good, it's stored in a RAM buffer, and if there's still space in the RAM, the next packet is requested. The data gets clocked out of the buffer as required, by the DAC or Receiver, or TV or whatever. So you're pretty much immune to upstream problems.

Now the basics: if your ethernet cables are CAT5 and you're trying to run them at gigabit data rates, you may have problems. In theory the router should ratchet down to base 100 (or in extreme cases base 10) to compensate, but some are better than others at this. So making sure you've got quality CAT6 cables is probably worthwhile. If you're running a wireless connection, then there are lots of things that could mess with things, interference from the microwave, or your neighbours internet, etc. Personally, my streaming devices are all wired, and that's the advice I give if people ask...

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:55 pm 

My understanding is that the speed is set by the modem at the sub-station end. You will not get more speed than they allow.

If you find a way to defeat their settings on that modem, please let us all know.

Internet speed test.
http://www.speedtest.net/

Run this test with the shortest possible cable, then what ever you want, compare.

If you are paying for 50Mbps and only getting 40Mbps, them maybe you have something, cabling/power supply issue...

Ohms

https://www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:58 pm 

I replace the cable between our modem and nvidia shield (only used for movies/youtube) once a year. I've given up on the poor quality of cables over the years and now only use "cat 6". It's routed through the basement on a dedicated path that follows some water/radiator pipes.

It's flakey...at best...I can't imagine trying to stream proper quality music over it....Certainly the video/movie quality degrades on a yearly basis but once I replace the cable things are good once again...
'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:07 pm 

meiwan wrote:
So you’ve got your system the way you like it...and your primary source is the internet. Streaming internet radio or Tidal, watching Netflix. And you are lucky enough to have fibre optic cabling service to your house. You are pretty much stuck with a Bell/Rogers or similar modem to receive your signal.

But could it get a bit better?

Here are a couple of far fetched, or perhaps not, ideas....

1. Upgrade the “Bell” modem power supply.
2. Upgrade the Ethernet cable running from the modem to your Smart TV and/or streamer.

Anyone tried either of these? There seem to be products to meet that need.

By the way, I do believe power/cabling makes a big difference, so no point trying to convince me otherwise.

Meiwan
No one is going to believe you, however, I am working on it.
1. Teddy Pardos psu on the router/modem, streamer.
2. Wireworld Starlight ethernet cat 8 and Tera Grande cat 7 to streamer
3. TP-Link isolators powered by high quality linear psu in between the Starlight and Tera Grande.

Please don't try this if you are willing to give up easily.
Also, check this PS Audio forum:
https://forum.psaudio.com/t/whats-in-yo ... o-lan/4397
This what got me started.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:27 pm 

You might want to try a linear power supply on your modem; fairly easily done if it has a wallwart. Of course with all the error detection and correction done by network hardware, it wouldn't make a difference.

Instead, I would suggest concentrating on the stuff downstream. Anything that carries an analog signal - e.g. DAC, amplification and speakers, and work backward to the source. Don't worry so much about the power for the network components. Just make sure that there is a filter to prevent any noise from their switch mode power supplies being fed back into the system through the mains. One way is to buy a power conditioner with separate "zones" for digital and analog signals. Put all the network stuff on the "digital" zone.

As for ethernet cables, a lot of people, including myself, like the Blue Jean Cables ones:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/da ... /index.htm

I go with the Cat 6a ones. Overkill, but I have a fast wired network and I like to be able to swap cables around with my "work" network without worrying what is a CAT 5, 6, 6a etc.

If you decide to crazy on the power, consider something similar to the HD plex with four outlets:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-2 ... evice.html

I use one for my media server, Bell fibe PVR, Squeezebox, and android box. I use a ifi DC iPurifier on my Network switch, but any decent generic filter will do.

All this is overkill, but I have a pretty nice system (speakers are too small for the room, but will be replaced) and this is what I have done last.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:36 pm 

Give this a try,,
disconnect the ethernet cable from your streamer....IF the music continues play for few seconds then you know the music (data) is being buffered in your streamer,
No need for any more concern.
IMHO