Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:49 am 

Thought I'd share this recent experience,

I've been into serious audio collecting now for over 20 years - and, in that time I have tried most everything out there that is on and off the radar. Some of these have been receivers like the Pioneer SX-1980/1280/1250, Sansui G22000/9000/8000, Hitachi SR2004, Marantz 2285B/2275/2230, as well as dozens of other makes and models.

Although receivers are not necessarily the pinnacle of audio nirvana, I've always appreciated a good one and typically have one or two on hand at anytime. Recently, I was looking for some vintage tone with the sprinkle of good ol'silver and bouncy meters...what I found was, in my opinion, a real shocker - a under the radar in a "stealth" like sense with shocking punch. Call it receiver superiority....A Toshiba SA-750.

It's an odd ball. It looks like a Pioneer SX-750 and a Technics SA-600 had an offspring, & despite a couple better known larger receivers the brand is relativity unknown in this hobby. Let's face it, Toshiba manufactured many parts for other brands, but they entered the game a bit late and were probably seen as not much better than a step up from house brands at best.

Let's talk about the reason for the post - the sound.

How does it sound? It reminds me of when I first figured out that some of the smaller receivers (like the Marantz 2230) were little gems that could really create a captivating evening listening session. With controls flat, it sounds nice - not dull or uninspiring. Bump the bass to +1 and the bottom end tightens up a bit and provides just enough umph to get you groovin. Twist that volume know up a few ticks and now you're really movin - and, you start to question your other purchases and the dollars you've invested in "higher-end" costly purchases. Disconnect your phono pre-amplifier and utilize the internal phono stage and volia! That tone, that tone! I mean, Dave Brubeck is just sizzling! The tuner is sensitive and extremely quite - exhibiting many characteristics of a good tuner,...wow, what a black background! My poor Dynalab is sitting zealous on the rack underneath, probably saying "you'll come back to me soon, you always do'...

In summary, if you're tinkering with a vintage find - put this on your radar. It really surprised the heck out of me and will likely stick around for a bit ;)

Attachments:
D51083DC-ADAC-42F8-8E03-5B69719340D2.jpeg
D51083DC-ADAC-42F8-8E03-5B69719340D2.jpeg [ 273.27 KiB | Viewed 1502 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:29 am 

Good for you. It's always nice to find lost treasure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:31 am 

It looks like a real beauty, and as you mention probably overlooked since its not a Pioneer or Marantz, but a great performer none the less! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:54 am 

Well, it certainly looks nice.
I've an Aurex (=Toshiba) TT, which I like.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:39 am 

I recently bought a Toshiba SA 520 at a garage sale for $5
Works great
Toshiba SR 355 turntable weighs 30 LBS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:40 am 

I do think Toshiba did makes some decent stuff with the likes of other folks like Hitachi, NEC, etc., but - you just don't hear much about them - nor would I typically seek out one.

This unit was just exceptionally clean..., looked like it was new in box minus a burnt out stereo light. I just could not resist.

Nice to get a pleasant surprise like this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:11 pm 

If you're looking for a sweet sounding cheap little power amp you should look at the Hitachi HMA-7500. They may not give you the grunt on the bottom end but for the first 5 watts of its output, while driving average sensitivity speakers, you might be surprised as it sounded well balanced. Be aware that it does sound lean and bright when driven too hard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:38 pm 

That's a beauty, a nice looker. I had a similar experience a few years back when I picked up a Harman Kardon Twin power 730 for $125 locally. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. I had it recapped and, well ... :cry: I just acquired the integrated version, the A402, and it's great! These pieces are from 1976!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:28 am 

I believe I have the Hitachi TOTL marching pre amp (HCA-8300?), in black, downstairs at my workbench.
I’ve only used it to test pieces; it’s a match to that series amp you just posted. If I ever see a reasonable mate for it, perhaps I will try it out!

The pre was donated to me, I was told it was pretty top notch. I believe it looking inside...
Very neat wiring, good transformer and a hearty volume control.

Until then it has to sleep :(

Attachments:
B3C21544-BD92-4D90-9DA0-D63B655AD437.jpeg
B3C21544-BD92-4D90-9DA0-D63B655AD437.jpeg [ 280.27 KiB | Viewed 847 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:46 am 

[quote="tube54”]… Hitachi ...[/quote]

I have a Sears LXI power amp that we are pretty sure was built by Hitachi. 150w/channel dual mono MOSFET amp. Really quite good. I use it as a bass amp in my WAW.

dave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 am 

JGP wrote:
Thought I'd share this recent experience,

I've been into serious audio collecting now for over 20 years - and, in that time I have tried most everything out there that is on and off the radar. Some of these have been receivers like the Pioneer SX-1980/1280/1250, Sansui G22000/9000/8000, Hitachi SR2004, Marantz 2285B/2275/2230, as well as dozens of other makes and models.

Although receivers are not necessarily the pinnacle of audio nirvana, I've always appreciated a good one and typically have one or two on hand at anytime. Recently, I was looking for some vintage tone with the sprinkle of good ol'silver and bouncy meters...what I found was, in my opinion, a real shocker - a under the radar in a "stealth" like sense with shocking punch. Call it receiver superiority....A Toshiba SA-750.

It's an odd ball. It looks like a Pioneer SX-750 and a Technics SA-600 had an offspring, & despite a couple better known larger receivers the brand is relativity unknown in this hobby. Let's face it, Toshiba manufactured many parts for other brands, but they entered the game a bit late and were probably seen as not much better than a step up from house brands at best.

Let's talk about the reason for the post - the sound.

How does it sound? It reminds me of when I first figured out that some of the smaller receivers (like the Marantz 2230) were little gems that could really create a captivating evening listening session. With controls flat, it sounds nice - not dull or uninspiring. Bump the bass to +1 and the bottom end tightens up a bit and provides just enough umph to get you groovin. Twist that volume know up a few ticks and now you're really movin - and, you start to question your other purchases and the dollars you've invested in "higher-end" costly purchases. Disconnect your phono pre-amplifier and utilize the internal phono stage and volia! That tone, that tone! I mean, Dave Brubeck is just sizzling! The tuner is sensitive and extremely quite - exhibiting many characteristics of a good tuner,...wow, what a black background! My poor Dynalab is sitting zealous on the rack underneath, probably saying "you'll come back to me soon, you always do'...

In summary, if you're tinkering with a vintage find - put this on your radar. It really surprised the heck out of me and will likely stick around for a bit ;)

Have you heard a Harman Kardon 930 or 730? What about a Luxman R1050,1070?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:06 am 

I always did like Toshiba.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:07 am 

planet10 wrote:

I have a Sears LXI power amp that we are pretty sure was built by Hitachi. 150w/channel dual mono MOSFET amp. Really quite good. I use it as a bass amp in my WAW.

dave[/quote][/quote]

If I'm not mistaken Sears components were made in Korea by a company called AGS (AGS stereo which owns Audio Reflex). But that doesn't mean that they're inferior to Sony, Sansui, Toshiba, and Hitachi component that was made in Japan in the 70's and 80's. As the matter of fact, most of the electronics and casework that Sears used in their component was made by either Sanyo and or Toshiba, it's probably one of the reasons why they look more generic looking than being unique on its own.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am 

tube54 wrote:
planet10 wrote:

dave[/quote][/quote][/quote]

If I'm not mistaken Sears components were made in Korea by a company called AGS (AGS stereo which owns Audio Reflex). But that doesn't mean that they're inferior to Sony, Sansui, Toshiba, and Hitachi component that was made in Japan in the 70's and 80's. As the matter of fact, most of the electronics and casework that Sears used in their component was made by either Sanyo and or Toshiba, it's probably one of the reasons why they look more generic looking than being unique on its own.[/quote]

In the 60's I had a Reel to Reel tape recorder which had the AGS and Toshiba name on it.
I Believe AGS was American General Supply at the time.
Ott.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:36 am 

Oh boy,...
Say it is not so!

Well, I sold my Sony TA-A1es, an exceptional new 2 channel, because the little Toshiba (IMO) was every bit as good sounding. It made no sense for me to keep both, and (well) I'd rather put the money aside and live a bit simpler...(well) for a moment.

In my typical fashion, I see a nice Marantz 2245 Champagne finished receiver - certainly a classic! I just could not help myself...I actually insisted that this would be my "hero" piece; All the looks of the 2270, but with that magic sound that was more reminisce of a 2230. So, I pick it up - set it up, power it up...and,

Meh.

I mean, I've always loved the Marantz sound and this one was no exception, but something was missing. I tried to AB with my Magnum Dynalab tuner to make sure it was not something mechanical, but - well, it was'nt. The tuner in the Marantz sounded quite on par, what it should sound like. So, I settle in for a few records, some CD's, and a late night broadcast of "afterdark". I still felt "something" was missing. The 2245 has splendid mids, a very engaging sound - but, something just did not sound the same to me in comparison to the Toshiba.

What is one to do? Well, I rigged the Toshiba back up to try to figure out why I was just not as convinced. There it was...Obvious and in your face. The top-end of the Toshiba is just that much cleaner and liquid. The best way I can describe it is added depth. Almost holographic. There it was again, the bottom end. The bass just "plumbed" so much deeper. It was not just the depth, but the clarity in the depth - again, almost holographic.

Now, the two units are (in comparison) similar in output, similar in age - but, the Marantz has one advantage. The protection board and some other components are recapped with high quality parts. So, if anything, the 100% stock Toshiba should be at a disadvantage. I will admit the "Tosh" really looks new old stock, but still - age is age.

So, my conclusion? I love the Marantz, I always have really appreciated these receivers, but - the Toshiba (a clear underdog) still wins it's place in my everyday set up with the JBLs. The Marantz, goes on display as a piece of art in my audio room. A rare, rare, appreciating piece of vintage history. Something (sadly) that the Toshiba will never experience, despite (IMO) rightly earning audio "cred" that far exceeds it's current value.