Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Herbie's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 pm 

I have tried a number of different platter mats over the past in my systems, using cork, rubber, cork/rubber, felt, even a carbon fibre sheet I made in the comp shop. Even tried the bare glass platter on my RP 6 (big improvement over the felt btw).

The best mat I have ever used on my Thorens/RB250/Hana SL combination has to be the Herbie's mat I just bought from another CAMer. Hands down better by far! :D

Once I reset the VTA, the sound is really much more engaging, forward, and detailed. The bass really moved up a notch. The sound is very "immediate" if you get my drift. A couple of nights a week I read and listen to albums that I have not heard in a while....just rotating the old stock if you will. Tonight I have been listening to a number of different genres, Herbie Hancock, George Benson, Gordie Lightfoot, and some Aretha. I am reading James Comey's book (pretty good read, BTW) and dang it!! I keep having to put the book down.......the improvement in the sound with the Herbie's mat is palpable! I just cannot concentrate on the words!

If you are still searching for "that sound" and have not tried a Herbie's, you might just want to give it a try.

I am going to transfer the Herbie's to my downstairs system (Rega 6/DV 10X5/RB 250) and see if there is an improvement downstairs as well.

This mat is the best $50 I have ever spent on an upgrade. Period.

Happy listening, everybody!
Tom

Post subject: Re: Herbie's
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:46 pm 

brownslane wrote:

I keep having to put the book down.......

One of my most favorite experiences. "Putting the book down" because the sound is so attention getting it pulls you right out of your book. Makes you stop and listen.

Sold me... $50 bucks? Will have to pick one up for my VPI.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 am 

off the original topic, but within the post,
reading while listening...
When Gord Downie got more into playing guitar, he said 'something's got to give' referring to the fact that, within his capabilities, his singing or guitar playing suffered when trying to do both at the same time.
I'm one to talk as my habit takes place primarily Sunday afternoons and I will have the Jay's or football or golf on the tv at the same time. I'm not sure what that takes away. I know if I bring down the lappy and I'm burning up the interwebs looking at stereo stuff, the album is over before I know it.
Sorry Browns's, totally off topic, and maybe this should be a pondering post on it's own. I guess it's the difference between critical listening and just loving the music... which also can be done at the same time :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 am 
Premium User

Thanks for the info! My Clearaudio didn’t come with a mat so I just put the felt mat from my Systemdek on it without giving it any thought. Reasonably priced tweak with little downside if there is no sound improvement. I like the sound of that :D . Will explore.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:20 am 

This was seriously the best upgrade I have done...and any price. I'd pay $100 for another Herbie's....it is that good.

Paul, I get it; I do the same thing....on the couch, laptop open and whirring, while I am playing tunes in the background...but the Herbie's change was so engaging I could not ignore it. So my "background music" evening became a "critical listening/enjoyment" evening. What a nice night.

Music (for most all of us here at CAM) is an intrinsic part of our lives....for me I enjoy music everywhere I go. I have systems set up everywhere I regularly spend any time. And my life is better because of it.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 am 

Where'd you get one for 50 bucks? I want one too. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am 

I've been running a Herbie's mat on my Pro-ject 2Xperience for a few years now. It is a very noticeable tweak to the sound. Great value for the $$

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am 

Drwatts wrote:
Where'd you get one for 50 bucks? I want one too. :D

Used from CAM. Where else are there great deals from great guys? :D

Another note; the original Platter Matter is just as good in terms of sound. There are a few of them around if you are willing to watch and wait.....

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:51 am 

You can purchase these at Electronic Depot in Niagara falls.
Aaron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:14 pm 

Added a Herbie TT Mat about 3 years ago.

Quick response on email inquires too.

I recommend a 295mm-diameter Way Excellent II-3mm Turntable Mat for the TD-160B MK II. Standard center hole is fine, though optional 40mm-diameter center hole is available if you use the Thorens 45rpm pop-up adapter.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Best regards,

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab
http://herbiesaudiolab.net
steveherbelin@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:41 pm 

Slightly off-topic but has anyone tried the Herbie's Black Hole mini-mat for CDs'?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:15 pm 
Premium User

Well, I got my Way Excellent 3mm mat from Herbie’s today. But first I need to back up and say that in researching the mat, I realized that the delrin platter on my Clearaudio is supposed to operate without a mat. So I took off the wool mat I was using and there was a noticeable improvement in sound. Granted, I hadn’t adjusted the VTA when I put the wool mat on. In taking the mat off, the VTA was back to where it should be. I was very pleased with the results. This got me wondering if I had “done goofed” by purchasing the Herbie’s. However, from his website it appeared others with my table had bought the 3mm mat at his recommendation so I was curious to try it out.

After adjusting the VTA I sat down for a listen with the Herbie’s and at first the sound was thinner than with no mat. But everything tightened up, such that there was more snap to the percussion and more detail in the highs.

The jury will be out for a couple of weeks while I continue to evaluate. I like a fat bottom end and I have lost some of this with the Herbie’s but I may be able to compensate by adjusting my sub while still retaining the other benefits of the mat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 pm 
Premium User

Well, I’ve been listening to my Clearaudio Concept Wood (which has a delrin platter) for about a week with the Way Excellent II mat and I’ve now switched it out to compare against the delrin platter with no mat. I really wanted to prefer the Herbie’s mat - it is nicely made and gets rave reviews - but in my particular setup, the delrin platter sans mat is more to my liking. The delrin seems to really do the trick in taming resonances, the result being a more extended bass and clearer vocals. Imaging seems improved as well. It isn’t a massive difference but enough to make me sit up and take notice.

I am sure that in certain applications the Herbie’s mats will markedly improve sound quality but given that the delrin platters is supposed to be used without a mat, it slightly degraded the sound on my setup.

I’ll hold onto the mat and revisit in a few months but for now, I feel comfortable in saying that going mat-free is best for this turntable. Listening now, I feel fortunate that a relatively modest setup can produce such a pleasing sound. Makes me wonder what happens when one moves up the Clearaudio line given that the Concept is one of its entry-level offerings.

Last edited by Tangram on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:51 pm 

Ya, I wouldnt use a mat with a delrin or acryllic platter.