Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking at new TT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:55 am 

I have been looking for a new TT and used but I think I have it narrowed down to three. Not in any order of preference. Rega Planner 6 with Ania Cart., MoFi Ultradeck with Mastertracker Cart., and MoFi Studiodeck with Studiotracker Cart. with Ultra AudioPhono.
Anyone running any of these, looking for none Mag. input/review.

Post subject: Re: Looking at new TT
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 am 

What do you currently have and what are you looking for with a new TT?
I currently have an RP6 with and Apheta. I also have a Debut Carbon with a 2M Bronze. The Rega has a bigger soundstage and quieter background (probably helped by my phonostage). I had the 2M Bronze on the RP6 which sounded good, but the Apheta was a definite improvement. For me, there's more detail, better bass, better soundstage than the 2M Bronze. Don't get me wrong, I consider the 2M Bronze to be exceptional, but I really like the Apheta.
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:47 pm 

Right now I have a ProJect Essential III and a TD 166 MK II that I am going to reverb. I want something different not parted out but I want the smooth detailed sound with a fairly flat sound not over extended with a nice sound stage and clean. Now this is why the MoFi caught my eye, they make everything in house nothing is parted out except the MoFi MM Carts which Audio Tech. custom makes them and then are brought into the shop and some final details are done to them. They had some big names help design and build the units and they are also on the floor, hands on doing QC and inspecting the work. Like I said I am just looking for I guess the " average ordinary guy " opinion on the product. The Rega carries a good name and history and the Planner 6 I guess would the direct competition. The E III is a nice unit but I looking for more. Its hard to go from the Thorens to the E III and expect the same.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:27 pm 

Here is a youtube video that compares the Rega P3 with the Mofi Studio Deck.
Channel: Hivinyws
video: MoFi StudioDeck review & Shoot-Out vs Rega P3
link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRjbd4r9jg

In summary (in his opinion) they were evenly matched performance wise, but the build quality advantage goes to the Mofi.
It's not the comparison you were chasing but I think it's worth a look.

Did you consider the Michell Tecnodec by any chance? I think it's in the upper neighbourhood of your budget and worth some investigation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:24 pm 

I would also recommend the Michell if you can find one in your budget. I think the Technoarm is a great tonearm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:31 pm 

As someone who owned a 166 Mk2, many Regas and a number of Pro-ject tables, I can say these all sound very different.

Rega will have a bigger sound stage and PRaT. It is however not as neutral as a Pro-ject so not ideal for classical or a lot of solo acoustic instrumental. Also not for people with perfect pitch. If you love jazz and rock, this is the table.

Pro-ject is cleaner and tidier sounding with great speed and pitch. Smaller soundstage, less obvious PRaT and can be a bit lean without some sort of isolation.

Thorens - big lush sound let down by the arm but I still think this is a fabulous table with a decent old school Japanese HOMC or mm. The record mat is also awful but can be swapped or a thin felt one added. Amazing for classical and acoustic music but not ideal if EDM is your thing.

Other awesome choices include Clearaudio (very neutral), a used Linn (not plug and play but very very good) or a heavy vintage direct drive.

The latter offers plug and play flexibility and a very involving sound.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm 

Boy I thought I narrowed it down but. OK so the others I looked at Music Hall 7.3 I believe this was a DEMO or left over from a big sale they had. Clear Audio Concept Verify Arm V2 MM cart. I believe demo. Inspire Eclipse trade mint looks like it just can out of the box new ( Nice ). Edwards Audio TT3 SE. So these and the ones mentioned in my first post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:00 pm 

The MoFi cartridges look like, based on the claims (patents), that they must be made by Audio Technica.

Anyone have any proof for this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:09 pm 

fifthbusiness wrote:
The MoFi cartridges look like, based on the claims (patents), that they must be made by Audio Technica.

Anyone have any proof for this?

Hard proof, no. But it seems a reasonable assumption, considering AT make cartridges and MoFi make records.