Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:05 pm 

Took out my older Revolver I had in storage and I do believe it sounds better than i can remember....better than my newer Project xpression 111....any opinions?

-- 11 Aug 2018 20:07 --

2m red on the revolver....2m bronze by ortofon on the project

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm 

I had a Revolver "red" for years, it was a really nice sounding TT. Had a Goldring 1042 mounted. 17 years I ran that table, and it is something that I wish I had kept. I sold it (with remorse), and replaced it with a Pro-Ject Expression ll. I thought that the Pro-Ject offered up a bit more detail and was a tad cleaner (perhaps), but it was not an upgrade, just a different presentation. The Jelco arm is pretty good on those tables. I actually mounted a Jelco SA-750D on the Revolver for awhile, and while it was good, probably a bit over overkill for the deck. IMHO, one would have to spend north of perhaps $1200-1500 new to really start isolating obvious improvements in sound quality.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 pm 

Just imagine you had the bronze on the revolver.....

Clean up and re lubricate the main platter bearing. Possibly get a new belt and that thing will sing. It's a well made turntable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:59 pm 

No way...

I had...

ERA 444 as my first turntable...Ran a Shure on that...
Then got Revolver with the standard arm...Ran OM Super 40...Which I kept across the the following...
Then NAD 5120 with the "floppy arm"...
Then Dual CS 505...

They were all "upgrades"...

Sorry...IMHO none of these would match a properly set up Project debut carbon DC with an AT150MLX...which I used for a few years...Which is no where close to a Project Classic...

Check yer ears...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:03 pm 

I HEAR what you are saying....maybe not as good as the project but still a surprise after all these years

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:14 pm 

Who knows for sure???

I do rue the day that I gave away both of my last NOS Super OM 40 cartridges to friends...I think they had a very special synergy on those low mass arms of the time...I'd love to hear one now...

Anyway, in my mind the revolver is likely a P3 or Debut Carbon equivalent depending upon the arm and cartridge...

I'd really love to have my ERA 444 back. From what I understand leaf spring may actually be one of the best designs around...I expect to see some ultra-high-end tt maker suddenly produce an exact copy and claim it is "the best"...

And that is based on the latest Korf audio testing of various tonearm designs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:21 pm 

turnmeup wrote:
Took out my older Revolver I had in storage and I do believe it sounds better than i can remember....better than my newer Project xpression 111....any opinions?

The Revolver has the better plinth, IMO. Not sure about the arm but it looks decent. The deck had some stiff competition and did not embarrass itself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:49 pm 

Excellent budget table. The early ones had Linn arms. The early Rebel models came with a so-so Sumiko MMT-based arm but the better versions of the Sumiko arm.

The split plinth design is not used on Music Hall tables which are also built by Pro-ject.

I sold my Revolver for my Linn Axis - which at the time was one of the truly great affordable high end turntables.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:00 pm 

turnmeup wrote:

Hi John.
Can i give you my honest opinion after i receive the table.
Looking forward to hearing it.
I will email you on Friday.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:53 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

ripblade wrote:
turnmeup wrote:

The Revolver has the better plinth, IMO. Not sure about the arm but it looks decent. The deck had some stiff competition and did not embarrass itself.

IIRC the original arm maker is Jelco. The Sumiko, the Linn, the Revolver, the systemdeck, the Rega original...all Jelco...as near as anyone can figure.

(Re Revolver vs PDC...having dismembered both arms to pieces, the Jelco is the superior arm, IMO. Carbon is nice but the rest has to be there too, as in Jelco's 100 years of quality machining and tolerance lore. But lets be real, both new today would have the Revolver at nearly twice the price you find them at now.)