Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post subject: Power off for 5 hours
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:29 pm 

The power in my home will be off for 4 hours later today. I'm going to power down all my gear and power bars before they hit the switch. My questions is about gimmick plug ins, of which I have many. Devices like the Yalo Bulala's and iFi - AC iPurifier . These are all plugged directly in to sockets. Should I remove these also? If kept in while the power is shut off, when power is back on, should i go to each one and unplug then replug? My ocd is strong tonight. Thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 am 

Knowing about this in advance, it might be a good time to unplug everything and check the plugs/power cords for dust, tightness of fit and any other issues. Also stay home from work just to make sure everything goes okay. Make sure you have cold beer in the fridge before proceeding.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:44 am 

Could just flip the appropriate breakers at the panel in advance.
Just a thought.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 am 

...west... :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:28 am 

While a purposeful power shutdown by Hydro is unlikely to restart with a power surge, I would unplug everything just to be safe and have peace of mind.

The person who made fun of your question ( and perhaps your condition ) is the one who has a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am 

sheavy wrote:
The power in my home will be off for 4 hours later today. I'm going to power down all my gear and power bars before they hit the switch. My questions is about gimmick plug ins, of which I have many. Devices like the Yalo Bulala's and iFi - AC iPurifier . These are all plugged directly in to sockets. Should I remove these also? If kept in while the power is shut off, when power is back on, should i go to each one and unplug then replug? My ocd is strong tonight. Thank you to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

First make sure the beer is kept cold. As for the audio gear I wouldn't worry too much. My hydro was shut off for a couple hours when they were doing road work in front of my house. Everything came on and worked as it should when the road repair was complete.
I use a few Yalu Balula's as well they were not bothered.
If you feel a bit more at ease unplugging things by all means go ahead but I don't believe it's a necessity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:18 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I recommend you keep the Yalo Bulala plugged in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:47 pm 

Are the Yalo Bulala devices CSA certified? I doubt it very much. If I understand the functionality (based on web site description) the device upon sensing spike in voltage short circuit the line in order to trip the breaker. So if your wireing is sub standard or oversized circuit breaker was installed....
I think much better protection can be achieved with in line protection that does not rely on your circuit breakers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:09 pm 

Thank you all for the great info. Last question. In the case of the power going out in a thunderstorm for 10 minutes. Would there be a benefit to pulling out re plugging your gear as to give it a sort of clean reboot? Or is that completely not necessary. Thank you guys, you have a great helpful group here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:59 pm 

Power outages/surges are a bane of modern life. We are seeing more of these as time goes on. I wnet out and bought some great APC battery-backups and installed them in series with the dedicated circuits I have running to my two main systems in the house. Also installed a little-bitty one which supports my hub router and cable modems...the result is, in a power failure, I can still listen to up to 6 hours of music, or netflix, etc. And I have the peace of mind knowing nothing will be damaged. Highly recommended.

And, by having the whole system supplied though a stable, conditioned power supply has lowered the sound floor significantly. Absolutely quiet now.