Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:19 pm 

I have read thru the forums that had SACD in the title. But, still came away without much direction regarding players currently available.

I am using a Lexicon RT20 for audio (SACD/CD) listening. I find it much better than my OPPO 105D - which I am quite happy with for movies.

As I am having troubles w my RT20 - errors reading SACDs. Local tech has suggested replacing the transport - I am thinking of picking up a dedicated SACD/CD player. I would require it to be as good as the Lexicon without exceeding $2000. I'm open to the possibility of purchasing used units.

I'm suspecting that I don't want a transport as the only DAC I have is what is inside my preamp. A McIntosh C48.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:33 pm 

any Esoteric player as the DV60 will be good or if you want more "warmer" sound any Marantz player in that(used) price should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 pm 

There's also the Sony UBP-X1000ES, it does all formats, including SACD and DVD-audio. I have the smaller brother UBP-X800, I bought this on a whim and it surprisingly sounds better than the Denon multi-format player it replaced and better than an old Sony SACD ES player that I have. I like the feature of connecting a hard drive filled with music into the usb port, very good sounding, and this is to a Marantz receiver through HDMI, the 1000ES has analog outs, which the X800 doesn't have, I'm stuck only being able to use mine on a receiver as the X800 only has HDMI outputs, but with good clarity and detail. You might need a monitor to view the hard drive contents but cd's and SACD's start and stop with the remote. After a quick Google search, it's only available in the U.S, this place has free shipping to Canada:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... ku=1344415

The Sony page here:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ra ... ls_default

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:16 am 

A used moon evolution super nova CD player won’t do Sacd but what it does is so good. Check that big red display, super nice features.

Attachments:
649892DE-413C-4DFA-A463-6465D3ADA6E1.jpeg
649892DE-413C-4DFA-A463-6465D3ADA6E1.jpeg [ 73.04 KiB | Viewed 3369 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:17 am 

My dealer in Scarborough actually mentioned that the Sony UBP-X1000ES will be available in Canada within a couple of weeks.
I go to G And G Electronics on Kingston Road although I did visit a Best Buy where they had it on special order only. It's about $899 before taxes.

Attachments:
Sony-UBP-X1000ES.jpg
Sony-UBP-X1000ES.jpg [ 152.49 KiB | Viewed 3365 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:41 am 

PatTanya,

I would normally suggest an Oppo or a Marantz but as you indicated you're happy to use the Oppo for movies and not audio I think your best bet is a Marantz. However I would put these in the budget category as you are already using a Lexicon you may want to replace it with another Lexicon or perhaps an Esoteric. Esoteric seems to have a strong following.

I will be in your position eventually and would probably be looking at a Marantz to replace my Oppo when the time comes.

Good luck,

Audiois1st

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:42 am 

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am really looking for an SACD/CD player. CD alone will not do.

I'm also preferring to stay away from Universal players as I'd be paying for stuff I would not use.

My OPPO is 'out' because the Lexicon sounds better - at least to my ears. So, it's relegated to movies - Video and audio.

I have heard that Sony players can be nice, but, I came across a couple of forums where people were very unhappy about Sony support and parts availability.

So, from the suggestions - I'm at Marantz and/or Esoteric. I have seen many of both these brands on CAM for sale. Not familiar with Marantz models as of yet. They seem to have a wide range of prices. Will have to start noting them. The latter (Esoteric) are almost always out of my range. Even used. Would a lower model equal or trump my Lexicon?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 pm 

Moon does have some older SACD players that do a hell of a good job. Orbiter is one.. besides Marantz and Sony, there aren't really that many choices as you think there would be at that price range.... double the price and there are some really good Esoteric, if you want to get adventurous, go to Japan Yahoo Auctions....lots of SACD players there, but a bit of a work out getting them bought and sent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:06 pm 

I have a few SACD/CD players and universal players for the last while (Sony SCD XE670, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DVD-3910, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo DV-970HD, Oppo BDP-83SE, Marantz SA-7s1, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Esoteric K-03). I have also demo'ed a few in stores in different price ranges. I must say the Esoteric sounds the best in my systems for now but the Denon A1UDCI is surprisingly good, too. I like the EMM Labs player (can't quite remember the model at this moment), too, when I was choosing between the Esoteric and EMM Labs but I prefer the Esoteric. I would like to get the Esoteric P-01 & D-01 combo instead of my K-03 but it was beyond my pay grade. I haven't upgrade since then (yes, the newer ones sound better but not by much IMHO). However, the Denon-A1UDCI is more versatile because it can play my (handful) DVD-A and audio only Blu-ray discs, and it doesn't sound too bad. It is in my second system. If you don't mind an older SACD player the Marantz SA-7s1 shouldn't be that expensive to get and it sounds pretty good (on the more mellow and warm side IMHO) depending on the rest of the system. I have one for 4 ~ 5 years without any problem before I switched to the Esoteric.

Are you into classical musics and/or a little bit of Jazz? I must say if you are not don't bother with SACD player and go for a better DAC for CAS instead, etc. since almost all SACDs are classical and a few Jazz in-between. There were/are not many SACDs from other music genres. Or, at least get a SACD player which can double as a high-res (24 bits and even DSD) DAC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:46 pm 

libor wrote:
any Esoteric player as the DV60 will be good or if you want more "warmer" sound any Marantz player in that(used) price should be fine.

I have an Esoteric DV50s, and really like it as well.... The 60 switched to Teac's own VRDS/VOSP transport, which is a really good one, but if a '50 comes up, I think it's worth a listen!

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:45 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
libor wrote:

I have an Esoteric DV50s, and really like it as well.... The 60 switched to Teac's own VRDS/VOSP transport, which is a really good one, but if a '50 comes up, I think it's worth a listen!

Cheers, Dave

I also have the DV50S. This was a flagship unit that still holds up musically and hard to beat at used prices.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:06 pm 

Maybe try this route first especially if you trust your tech. Less than $30.00 shipped. If it doesn't work well then you're out about the cost of 2 dinners.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexicon-RT20-R ... m570.l1313

Hmmm maybe not. Just read the sellers most recent negative feedback and it translates into: "Not arrived. Thanks to ebay at least get the money back."

If you purchase via PayPal with a credit card you're protected.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 am 

You could go the older Denon DVD/Universal player route. I have a Denon DVD-3910 (2005?) that I got for around $200, and it did play the one SACD I own.

The sound is warm and enveloping, a little to much so for my taste, but could be another's cup of tea.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:08 am 

Arcam cd27.

-- 26 Jul 2018 16:09 --

Arcam cd27.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:06 am 

I did own a Denon 2900 for a while before it had tray issues. I recall liking the sound. But, that was a few players ago and I can't really tell how it perform(ed) compared to my Lexicon.

Also - thanks for the Ebay link, but, I'll leave anything like that up to my tech. :)

No mention of Naim nor Mac yet. Interesting.....

I did not know that Esoteric was a 'top of the line' segment of Teac. Does this mean that some of Teac's better units are decent?