Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:36 am 

Started reading about the Black Mamba power cords and currently on the fence about buying one.

Read more about the company and searched CAM to find that most discourse was on their AC outlets.

Has anyone used a power cord, a set of interconnects, or speaker wire?

For reference I'm using a mix of Nordost and Vovox (both silver plated OCC copper)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:07 pm 

I use Oyaide Tsunami for interconnects and speaker cables.
Purchased used and from Planet of Sound in Ottawa. They lend out cables if you ask nicely. :)

They replaced a complete Transparent Music Wave Super loom.

I found the 'top end' much nicer with the Oyaide, bass a little less predominant.

Benchmark DAC
Oyaide Tsunami Interconnect
Audible Illusions 3MA Pre Amp
YBA 2 HCDT Amp
Oyaide Tsunami Speaker Cables
Totem Mani2 Speakers

For power cables, I use a mix of YBA and Unity Audio.

Feel free to PM for more info.

YMMV

Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:57 pm 

I also tried the Oyaide Tsunami. In my case it just confirmed that AC cables don't make much difference in my systems.

But I'm one of those people who hasn't found much advantage in investing in audiophile cables, so you may wish to discount my experience.

On t'other hand, I do use, and appreciate, Oyaide stainless steel footers and their DC barrel connectors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:37 am 

djmuisik wrote:
I use Oyaide Tsunami for interconnects and speaker cables.
Purchased used and from Planet of Sound in Ottawa. They lend out cables if you ask nicely. :)

They replaced a complete Transparent Music Wave Super loom.

I found the 'top end' much nicer with the Oyaide, bass a little less predominant.

Benchmark DAC
Audible Illusions 3MA Pre Amp
YBA 2 HCDT Amp
Oyaide Tsunami Speaker Cables
Totem Mani2 Speakers

For power cables, I use a mix of YBA and Unity Audio.

Feel free to PM for more info.

YMMV

Todd

Have you used any other cable than the Transparent you can compare to? I haven't personally had any experience with Transparent...
dr.joe wrote:
I also tried the Oyaide Tsunami. In my case it just confirmed that AC cables don't make much difference in my systems.

But I'm one of those people who hasn't found much advantage in investing in audiophile cables, so you may wish to discount my experience.

On t'other hand, I do use, and appreciate, Oyaide stainless steel footers and their DC barrel connectors.

What's your setup like, what else have you tried?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am 

Good Afternoon, ruecatinat:

If you haven't already, you might want to refer to Duster's comments on the Oyaide Black Mamba... https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=cables&n=170605&highlight=mamba+duster&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fsearchtext%3Dhitachi%2Bia%2B10000%26b%3DAND%26topic%3D%26topics_only%3DN%26author%3D%26date1%3D%26date2%3D%26slowmessage%3D%26sort%3Dscore%26sortOrder%3DDESC%26forum%3Dvintage.

On a recent trip to Japan, I went to Yodobashi in Akihabara which had the bulk unfinished power cable and the finished ones in plain black (as the bulk cable) and the V2 version (with the nice white sheath). Ended up purchasing one from one of the audio stores in the area as it was a few yen cheaper.

Dusters comments are pretty spot on. Mine connected to an IEC to C7 converter into a Micromega MyDac. IMHO, I find it a good-very good cable. Compared to a Cardas Hexlink cable, it's more detailed, smooth across the lows-highs, relaxed, with quite good imaging and soundstaging, and nothing calling attention to itself. Bass is also quite good but maybe just a tad less deep than the Hexlink. I know, a possibly a bit overkill for a power cord that is almost the same cost as the component it's connected to. Haven't tried it on any other components as of yet.

Sincerely,
Kingsley.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:15 pm 

Not a power cord or speaker cables but I have used one of their digital cables in the past (only swapped it out as I went from coax to AES), I believe they have a typical "house" sound so input might be useful. Compared to some other digital cables I had on hand, it was my pick. Nice full sounding cable (not bloated at all), good detail while not being harsh at all. Would say just on the polite side of neutral.

Edit: If their house sound is what your system needs, think they offer pretty good bang for your $ & definitely worth checking out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

We've used their RCA and XLR connectors to make cables. They work quite well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:43 pm 

Quote:
Have you used any other cable than the Transparent you can compare to? I haven't personally had any experience with Transparent...

I’ve also tried Kimber Hero and Cardas Golden Cross; which did not replace the transparent cables and ultimately preferred Oyaide.

Although neither Cardas nor Kimber was in a full loom.

Have fun and experience as much as you can. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 am 

djmuisik wrote:
Quote:

I’ve also tried Kimber Hero and Cardas Golden Cross; which did not replace the transparent cables and ultimately preferred Oyaide.

Although neither Cardas nor Kimber was in a full loom.

Have fun and experience as much as you can. 8)

Thanks!

That gives me some context...Hero and Golden Cross seems to be in the same arena as my Nordost Blue Heaven and Vishnu setup...

Switching amps next week and we'll see if my itch subsides but I'd love to replace the Nordost with some Oyaide, it seems the Oyaide has the same amount of detail but with a smooth delivery