Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm 

Hi everyone,

So it seems pretty certain I will be moving to Vancouver from Hamilton, or the Toronto area. I have close to 3000 lp's and I would really appreciate hearing ideas that you have or have successfully used to transport such an amount. Maybe I need to start making little wooden crates???

Good news is this won't happen until September/October so hopefully heat won't be an issue. And that gives me time to make those crates perhaps. :-/

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm 
Premium User

Glenerd2 wrote:
Hi everyone,

So it seems pretty certain I will be moving to Vancouver from Hamilton, or the Toronto area. I have close to 3000 lp's and I would really appreciate hearing ideas that you have or have successfully used to transport such an amount. Maybe I need to start making little wooden crates???

Good news is this won't happen until September/October so hopefully heat won't be an issue. And that gives me time to make those crates perhaps. :-/

Thanks in advance.

Are you ever in for sticker shock in the area of real estate :lol: But the best chinese food this side of HK.

Wine boxes from the liquor store, esp the 6 bottle variety. Just wider than an lp cover.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 pm 

Are you moving yourself or having a company do it. There are boxes you can buy from the moving company to ship them in . Also can look at cargo trunks for musical amps etc that are of different sizes that may fit the lp size. Make wooden boxes from plywood and screw it together. label the top. You can have it all precut at home depot and then take strapping with drywall screws and put it all together. It will be a lot of boxes or small containers for sure . Good luck. Once you move in out west you can resell the cargo trunks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 pm 

Cull the herd.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:19 am 

...get the standard small cube boxes available at any moving company (I think they're 14 x 14)...pack bottom with paper...vertically insert about 50-60 records (maybe a bit more-ish...it's been a while :D )...pack all empty space (including top) densely with paper...close...tape...mark "this side up"...repeat as necessary...I've done this several times in the past decade or so (including a move from the Wet Coast to south-central Ontario)...never a problem...oh...and..."cull the herd" :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:18 am 

I moved about 800 LP collection from Calgary to KW a few years back. I thought I was going to put them into boxes of 30 LP's and mail them...when I picked up the collection and realized what that looked like, I was looking for another way. I ended up shipping them via rail. Again, I thought I would put them into cardboard boxes and put them on the train and the freight agent advised against it. He sent me to a company called Cratex https://cratexind.com/service-solutions/export-packaging and they built me a custom crate for around 150 bucks. The inside was lined with plastic. The crate was integrated onto a small skid and screwed shut. Steel bands were wrapped for more security/strength. It took about two weeks via rail mostly because I didn't have a loading dock at my house, so I had to wait for a drop gate truck to be available. They arrived in perfect condition. Slow but sure. I don't recall the rail freight cost but it was around a hundred bucks if I recall. I can recommend a local company that can build you packaging/crating and arrange shipping via truck if you want. PM me if you are interested.

cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:28 am 

...my suggestion comes with the assumption that you'd be using a reputable moving co. ...they'd factor space/weight on the truck into the total cost...it would have to be way cheaper than shipping separately...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am 

Assuming you aren't interested in culling the collection before moving....

When I moved from the UK back to Canada I brought along all my records (except a bunch I sold). I bought DJ carrying cases for the most prized (and usually also the rarest and priciest of the lot) records. You can get crates made but I think the padded DJ carrying cases will work just as well and they are affordable. You can probably find some used ones for cheap and it'll save you the hassle. But even new they aren't too expensive. To make it easier to carry I used half sized ones.

For the rest, I used custom made double walled boxes. I'm sure there are companies that either have the perfect size or will make enough for you based in Canada (or the US). You can probably get some that are pre-made but at the time in the UK I couldn't find any and getting some custom ones cut was kind of fun.

Make sure you pack them tightly. You don't want them moving around in there are that's the most likely way they'll get damaged apart from being dropped. If you can try and get some that are half size so they aren't too heavy to move. Label them appropriately as FRAGILE so the movers know they are indeed fragile.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am 

eddiel wrote:
Assuming you aren't interested in culling the collection before moving....

When I moved from the UK back to Canada I brought along all my records (except a bunch I sold). I bought DJ carrying cases for the most prized (and usually also the rarest and priciest of the lot) records. You can get crates made but I think the padded DJ carrying cases will work just as well and they are affordable. You can probably find some used ones for cheap and it'll save you the hassle. But even new they aren't too expensive. To make it easier to carry I used half sized ones.

For the rest, I used custom made double walled boxes. I'm sure there are companies that either have the perfect size or will make enough for you based in Canada (or the US). You can probably get some that are pre-made but at the time in the UK I couldn't find any and getting some custom ones cut was kind of fun.

Make sure you pack them tightly. You don't want them moving around in there are that's the most likely way they'll get damaged apart from being dropped. If you can try and get some that are half size so they aren't too heavy to move. Label them appropriately as FRAGILE so the movers know they are indeed fragile.

...labelling something fragile doesn't necessarily prompt special treatment...if it's in a box it should be packed appropriately as to its degree of delicateness or durability...the big companies are very professional...they'll treat everything with care (understanding that accidents happen)...they also have a wide variety of boxes and packing materials ("China" boxes for example)...if $$$ isn't an issue...pay them to pack...they by extension take on increased liability related to damage during packing, in-transit and during moves out and in...if you pack yourself...do the best job you can...don't try to save dough on un-even sized boxes (liquor store/grocery store) and cheap packing materials (your towels, bed sheets, pillows and stuffed animals)...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm 

Hi sorry I guess I left out some pertinent info. I have a couple of months notice and the way we plan on it is getting a container and packing that ourselves so I guess I should start cutting up some wood and making boxes with maybe some felt on the sides and bottom. I will start to sell off some but which ones. Lol. I really never thought I would ever move . Love the ideas and thank you everyone who has given me ideas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:51 am 

It's easy to know what to sell: Have you listened to it in the past year?

If I were to do that with my collection,I'd probably have around 100 LPs max.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:18 am 

http://www.boxspot.com/

These guys have 13 by 13" double wall boxes advertised for LP box sets. That leaves pleanty of room for packing paper around LP's. I found it most economical for shipping my collection inside a POD unit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 am 

Circular Vibes wrote:
http://www.boxspot.com/

These guys have 13 by 13" double wall boxes advertised for LP box sets. That leaves pleanty of room for packing paper around LP's. I found it most economical for shipping my collection inside a POD unit.

This is awesome. Thank you so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am 

A word to the wise. Shipping/storing in PODS? Always ( I repeat" ALWAYS) put down some mouse poison.

Get the buggers before they get you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 pm 

...sounds more like a sea container...BIGGER CRITTERS... :D