Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Horn spaekers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:38 am 

What do you guys think about the Horn based speakers? Any pros and cons ?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Horn spaekers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 am 

AUDIOMANIAC wrote:

Thanks in advance.

In general you get high sensitivity for the price of directionality, large cabinet & high cost.
The best ones also seem more dynamic comparing to other speaker designs.
I presume you mean horn loaded speakers, not speakers made from horn(s) lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 pm 

Bandy wrote:
AUDIOMANIAC wrote:

Thanks in advance.

In general you get high sensitivity for the price of directionality, large cabinet & high cost.
The best ones also seem more dynamic comparing to other speaker designs.
I presume you mean horn loaded speakers, not speakers made from horn(s) lol.

Yes , Horn loaded speakers LOL

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:29 pm 

I never left the horn brigade....even when I tried a lot. It started for for me with classics like Klipsh or Altec and even when I used esoterica like Yamamura, Final, Beauhorn or Rethm or Odeon design it always was more "real" for me then any moving coil,panel or ESL or any other type speakers....

PS word of caution.....digital is very hard to tame on horn speakers...vinyl, tapes are much more easy and stunning on them....high sensitivity is the key here...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:42 pm 
Premium User

When I look over my favorite speakers since childhood the majority have been the many varieties of horn speakers. To my ears they have the most natural/organic sound. I've really only disliked the aluminium woofers paired with horns in the Klipsch reference series. I love the Heritage series so it's no hate against the brand intended.

Last edited by James_W on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

Thanks, guys keep them coming, Love to read your post and thought. The best thing I like about horn speakers is that "live" sounds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:51 pm 

if I would start again, I would go for this road...https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/05/ ... n-systems/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:51 pm 

AUDIOMANIAC wrote:
Thanks, guys keep them coming, Love to read your post and thought. The best thing I like about horn speakers is that "live" sounds.

Some 30 years ago Clements build RT 7 speaker with tuned horn bass. Some of the most accurate plentiful bass I ever heard, from 8" driver!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:55 pm 

I've never owned horn loaded speakers, but those I heard on a few occasions had excellent dynamics but a somewhat ill defined / flat soundstage. It may have been due to other variables...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:15 pm 

I'm a huge fan of vintage Klipsch and in particular Altec horn loaded speakers. Valencia, Carmel, Models 14 and 19, etc. Mid-ranges, female vocals, jazz and blues can be magical, especially driven by tubes. The combination of horns, high sensitivity and tubes has created the most "in the club, live" sound that I've been able to find. I'm also partial to tube monoblocks in this mix.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:01 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Plenty of threads already here and elsewhere. Horns have advantages - efficiency, midrange presence, "life" and disadvantages - poorer frequency response, accuracy, imaging and size. Given the plethora of great speakers around nowadays, we feel there more pros with traditional drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:36 pm 

James_W wrote:
When I look over my favorite speakers since childhood the majority have been the many varieties of horn speakers. To my ears they have the most natural/organic sound. I've really only disliked the aluminium woofers paired with horns in the Klipsch reference series. I love the Heritage series so it's no hate against the brand intended.

Have you heard the reference series with dual 10'' woofers. I actually think it's their strong point.

-- 14 Jul 2018 23:42 --

I agree that horn drivers work better with tubes, but I'm not sure if it's the pre amp or amp making the magic as i use an integrated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:01 pm 

We,my Daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our Altec 19 clones,for 12 years,first with stock crossover,then with Audiokarma Zilch(R.I.P.) designed-Z-19 x-over.

My opinion,19's with concerts sounded really life-like when we used an old 60 lb Stromberg Carlson,converted to run single ended triode,13 watts tubes,lots for Altecs,however as our 20 x13.5 ft room was on the small side,we used less volume,sometimes,lol.
I had them corner loaded,on the 13ft wall,we sat roughly 13 feet back.

First reflection d.i.y horizontal 4ft by 30 in sound panels one each on side walls & one on ceiling were a must with them in our room,our opinion.

I then started playing around with Vintage Pioneer,Isophon Coaxial in d.i.y open baffles,which quickly led to commercially designed Open Baffle speakers,choosing (Emerald Physics 4.7)which still gave me the Lightening quick dynamics,& of course the LIVE sound,because I will Not Live Without LIVE sound,but,added to this,much more reveal,no more boomy bass,Way more Depth,and wider sound stage,than our 19's,ever did however that being said,if all I owned were my old Altec 19's & triodes I would still be happy!

As above mentioned,its sometimes,hard to tame beaming Altec horns running digital,especially dvd's,I still watch mainly concerts,and my solution was a custom dac & top of the line dvd player,& tubes.

Vinyl was really,Really,enjoyable too,& Altec 19's play super full bodies at Low Listening levels,great late at night,or in apartments,many speakers disappear or are crap sounding,very thin sounding at low levels!

I haven't read the above Western Electric link,but like it was yesterday remember hearing many bands with Large Altec tar filled Multi-cell horns used as P.A speakers in old Vancouver clubs in the 60's 70's,and the mid range vocals through those would make you weep!

Multi-cells like Altecs,or Altec 19's take up a lot of space,are heavy,prefer big rooms,large lofts,barns,etc,so if you have a big room or loft certainly give it a go!....I sold my Klipsch La Scala's as they were too deep,Altec 19's were only 19 inches deep,but much wider.

EP Concert Kenny
Tonight's concert,Eric Clapton Guitar Festival.....Crossroads Madison Square Gardens 2013

Last edited by Kenny on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:27 pm 
Premium User

wtf22 wrote:
James_W wrote:

Have you heard the reference series with dual 10'' woofers. I actually think it's their strong point.

I had RF-7's in 2013.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:12 pm 

James_W wrote:
wtf22 wrote:
James_W wrote:

I had RF-7's in 2013.

Nuff said.