Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am 

Just curious about two specific titles:

Hank Mobley's Soul Station and John Coltranes Blue Trane. Has anybody compared the 180gram EU 75th BN pressings vs. the Music Matters 33's?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:27 am 

LuSh wrote:
Just curious about two specific titles:

Hank Mobley's Soul Station and John Coltranes Blue Trane. Has anybody compared the 180gram EU 75th BN pressings vs. the Music Matters 33's?

Thanks

MM all day, everyday. Not even close.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:02 pm 

Bellapig wrote:
MM all day, everyday. Not even close.

I bet. I have the BN75 US pressing which I think is ~120g. If the EU pressing is the same mastering, the extra 60g is just polishing a turd.

edit: this is for BT.... haven't heard the Mobley.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 pm 
Premium User

The 75th anniversary budget line is a good deal if you can't afford the much pricier MM. I have about 15 of them and with my latest cartridge (Dynavector DV20X2H) they sound pretty decent for the investment but they'll pale next to an all analogue MM at 4x the price.

There were a few reissue series than can often be picked up for $20-30 used that are of better value. Here's a great site for telling the various reissues apart.

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/record-labels-guide/labelography-2/the-blue-note-labels/

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm 

Are you guys talking about this LP?
https://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-B ... se/5612513

If it's this particular mastering & pressing you are curious about, I'd like to chime-in and let y'all know that this thing sounds phenomenal on my hi-fi. Scored the sumbitch at the drugstore for $21. My 2 cents...
8)

Attachments:
DSC09412.JPG
DSC09412.JPG [ 293.46 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]
DSC09413.JPG
DSC09413.JPG [ 327.27 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]
DSC09414.JPG
DSC09414.JPG [ 302.16 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:42 pm 
Premium User

Old Rusty wrote:

If it's this particular mastering & pressing you are curious about, I'd like to chime-in and let y'all know that this thing sounds phenomenal on my hi-fi. Scored the sumbitch at the drugstore for $21. My 2 cents...
8)

Did you get one with the download card? Mine didn't work & the DL company wouldn't respond to 3 e-mails. Bummer. Have to agree mine sounds pretty darned good for the $21.99 at Sunrise.

Watch out for the drugstore jazz lps though. They're now carrying alot of the Jazzwax, Doxy & other bootlegish Euro lps that are just cut from cds from copywrite expired albums by some plants with the ability to do so.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 pm 

shawnwes wrote:
Old Rusty wrote:

8)

Did you get one with the download card? Mine didn't work & the DL company wouldn't respond to 3 e-mails. Bummer. Have to agree mine sounds pretty darned good for the $21.99 at Sunrise.

Watch out for the drugstore jazz lps though. They're now carrying alot of the Jazzwax, Doxy & other bootlegish Euro lps that are just cut from cds from copywrite expired albums by some plants with the ability to do so.

Ya man, mine came with the download card. But seeing as I have no 'digital' in my rig, every download card I have is unused.
And as far as the 'drugstore jazz LPs' go, the only ones I've heard that actually sound nice are the 'Waxtime' issues. To wit: the 'Blue Train' issue of theirs is beautifully soft & has nice wide stereo sound. It's doesn't have the same 'step-up to the mic & blow' feel as the Blue Note, but it is quite lush & completely 'un-harsh' if you will.
https://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-B ... se/3122285
A few years ago Waxtime LPs were $12, but now $20, so for the LP buyer with limited funds they are a nice way to build a vinyl jazz collection. I first got them as gifts & was pleasantly surprised. Of course, some audiophiles piss on them. BUT...not everybody can afford unobtainium originals or pricey re-issues, I can & others like me can as well, but my point is this: isn't it better that more people are digging jazz in any format?
8)

Attachments:
DSC09415.JPG
DSC09415.JPG [ 369.57 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:13 am 

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. The kind of responses I see here echo the 'internet'. Some people have luck with the 180g pressings from EU while others have pure disdain. I've also heard that the 75th BN's are closer to the originals in terms of mixing - they are harder and brighter like your there where as the newer MM ones are softer and more organic. I guess I won't know for myself until I buy one...

Hopefully I can find an EU pressing version in Canada.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:27 pm 

Apologies for the late reply, saw the thread but my phono preamp was under repair at that time. I do have both pressings and just had them for a spin this afternoon.

You won't do wrong with the EU 75th anniversary. I ordered mine through my preferred local record store for 19.99. It is of higher quality than the rest of the (american) 75 LPs I have. The Music Matters 33 LP does everything better, but the difference is more subtle than overwhelming on my admittedly modest system. At a third of the price, the EU 75 will do quite fine.

If you go beyond the two titles, I should warn that some of the american pressings are flawed. Side B of Freddy Hubbard Breaking Point is full of strange digital-sounding glitches. I exchanged that LP for another and got the same issues at exactly the same spots on side B. Also had similar but brief occurences on Out to Lunch and another LP which I can't remember right now. That one was possibly Don Cherry - Complete Communion if I think of it.

No such problems on other LPs of the reissue series I've purcharsed: Hubbard - Blue Spirits; Moncur - Evolution; McLean - Capuchin Swing, Let Freedom Ring, Destination Out; Williams - Spring, Rollins - vol 2 and Newk's Time; Hancock - Empyrean Ilses; Taylor - Conquistador; Hutchison - Components, Happenings; Blackey - the 2 lives; and others I might be forgetting.