Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Grigorian
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:05 pm 

Been a customer of Grigorian for many year both in person and online. Not buying too often but did purchase occasionally. Always good experience.

Getting their newsletters regularly and starting from 3-4 months ago it always headline'd with a few words of calling for help in spreading the word about them.

These two weeks that headline turned into red...

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 12.02.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 12.02.03 AM.png [ 163.26 KiB | Viewed 760 times ]

It just doesn't feel very good and am worried one of the last new b&m store might be at the verge.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than a (satisfied) customer.... just feeling worried. :-(

I wish them all the best.

Post subject: Re: Grigorian
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:35 am 

I've been going for years. A great place with excellent music selection and I hope it goes on for years and years. Please , no more condos or overpriced coffee shops .... this city has had its soul robbed by developers and the like for years and enough is enough....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:01 am 

Off topic post deleted by moderator.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:12 am 

I don't live in Toronto, but I get Grigorian's email bulletins and I order from them when I can. They are a great resource and I hope they stay in business a long long time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:28 am 

I have shopped at both locations for 20 years. They are the only place left that sells new and used classical LPs still. I shop at the remaining B&M location in Yorkville at least once a month. It is a 20 minute walk from my office. Love that place.

BTW, their used LPs are very well priced and usually like new. It is the last deep catalogue classical store I am aware of in Ontario.

I also often buy my Gramophone magazine there.

I think the issue is that very few people listen to classical any more and fewer still want to own a recording of it. I have a large collection I have culling but still add interesting pieces I don't have.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:30 am 

banerjba wrote:

I think the issue is that very few people listen to classical any more and fewer still want to own a recording of it.

....that and soaring commercial rents over the last couple of years,driven by higher property values.

Fidius123 wrote:
I've been going for years. A great place with excellent music selection and I hope it goes on for years and years. .... this city has had its soul robbed by developers and the like for years and enough is enough....

AFAIK..the departure of Grigorian would end an era of downtown TO record stores selling classical/jazz records.Sam Sniderman got it started in a big way in the early 50s from his first record store on Yonge St.,south of Dundas,after selling records from his father's Radio Store on College.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 am 

Went by the store on Monday and all is well.

They are doing just fine and will soon move to a new location in the same general area. The sale is related to the move. New location will have even more room for LPs as well as the deep catalogue they have for CDs.

Bought my monthly Gramophone magazine and a bunch of cds of British light classics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:01 am 
Premium User

I lived at Yonge and Bloor and had no idea that store was in Yorkville.......now BBR was of course a block over but a proper music shop?? I missed out....or rather saved $$$