Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:43 am 

Hi

I'm actually from the UK but I thought I would post here are there seem to be a lot of Totem and Dynaudio users.

I've currently got the Signature one on Home Demo.

I'm enjoying it a lot overall, might well pull the trigger. Over here the cost is £3200 before discount.

However, my dealer is also trying to get hold of the Element Ember, £3900 or so here in UK.

Has anyone listed to both? Is the Ember too "Hi-FI" or harsher sounding? I like the idea of a soft dome tweeter and the torrent driver etc...

Furthermore, what about the DYN Special 40 in comparison? here that is £2500.

The signature one has worked surprisingly well close to the wall, and I'm told the ember can too, not so sure about The Dynaudio working well close to a wall though. They have a much larger rear prt that may be tuned differently.

Trying to get a Dynaudio home demo but it's surprisingly difficult.

My amp is a NAD M12 and M22v2 pre and power, 300wpc, and with a Meridian 218 as a roon endpoint into the NAD's dac. Smooth detailed and powerful sounding to my ears, preferred it over the somewhat brittle sounding (to my ears!) Devialet 220.

I'm restricted to speakers not much bigger than the ones listed as I have to place them on a compromised alcove shelf - but it's amazing how good the sig ones, and a pair of old AE1 classic speakers have sounded considering I can't sue stands.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:41 am 
Premium User

The Ember won't sound too harsh or "hi-fi" on the Hypex based NAD gear. Around this time 3 years ago I was running the M22/M12 combo with brighter sounding Totem Element Earth and occasionally would swap out the NAD with a McCormack DNA-225. To my ears the Devialet 220 is such a superior product to the NAD combo in every way so our tastes differ quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlmfE7pZLyk

If you are enjoying the Signature One in room that should really help guide your decision making here. With that said I'd advise trying to get your hands on a pair of the Dynaudio. Having experience with all 3 speakers the Special 40 would be my choice without hesitation. It's not a speaker that grabs you immediately but will offer great satisfaction with long listening sessions. Your concerns about placement may be an issue but I always had them at least 3ft from rear and side walls. Maybe another Special 40 owner can chime in on this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:05 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I would try mine out close to a wall for you, but unfortunately my room does not allow it.
I do second the advice to give them a try. They really are something else for the price

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:51 am 

I owned over the years Totem One, Totem 'The One' , Dynaudio 40th Special ...among others. If I have to choose one, I would pick the 40 Special.
As James mentioned, it is a speaker that gives you great satisfaction over long listening sessions..... with the best design and lacquer finish among all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:01 am 

I already own the special forty so I’m biased here . They are my new favourite speaker. I also have Harbeth P3ESR and Kef ls50 and Magnepan.7 but these little Dynaudio Special Forty really are quite special. Buy the ruby red ones. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:21 pm 

James_W wrote:
The Ember won't sound too harsh or "hi-fi" on the Hypex based NAD gear. Around this time 3 years ago I was running the M22/M12 combo with brighter sounding Totem Element Earth and occasionally would swap out the NAD with a McCormack DNA-225. To my ears the Devialet 220 is such a superior product to the NAD combo in every way so our tastes differ quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlmfE7pZLyk

If you are enjoying the Signature One in room that should really help guide your decision making here. With that said I'd advise trying to get your hands on a pair of the Dynaudio. Having experience with all 3 speakers the Special 40 would be my choice without hesitation. It's not a speaker that grabs you immediately but will offer great satisfaction with long listening sessions. Your concerns about placement may be an issue but I always had them at least 3ft from rear and side walls. Maybe another Special 40 owner can chime in on this.

Thanks everyone, seems like I've got to try the special 40!

I tried the Devialet with at least 5 different speakers and it was too forward sounding, before I had an all Naim setup, I think the Devielet is a bit to Hi Fi and not enough music for my ears, I found the NAD has offered the best of both worlds, really surprised I ended up going for it.

I suppose the sig one and element ember are just "different" sounding, not necessary one better than the other? Not much difference in price, but the sig one seems to be uber traditional and the ember quite a break from the norm in terms of design.

A secondhand pair of the Ember has popped up too....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:58 am 

Well, just received the Embers and had a couple of hours listening.

Loving them so far, so much smoother up top than the Sig ones.

Bass is similar for depth but quite a lot snappier, bass guitars etc are very impressive.

Picking up the S40 today to compare...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 am 

The Special 40 close to a wall could be a problem. I have a fairly small room (11’ x 17’) and I’ve had to pull my Specials further out into the room than any other speakers I’ve owned in order to tame the mid-bass reinforcement from the rear port. Of course you have the port bungs as well but this will significantly restrict the bottom end.

That said, with the right placement, I love these speakers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:02 am 

Going to talk to my dealer as the ember make undesirable port chuffing sounds on three or so tracks that I have tried :(

Maybe that's what you get when you are trying to get a quart from a pint pot, but at this kind of money it's not what i expect. it's pronounced enough to hear from my listening position, and on a couple of tracks even at mid listening levels.

A shame as so far they sound great otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 am 

urquattrogus wrote:
Hi
I've currently got the Signature one on Home Demo.

I'm enjoying it a lot overall, might well pull the trigger. Over here the cost is £3200 before discount.

OUCH! :shock:

That is the equivalent of $5500 CAD! When I considered them they were $2200 CAD, you can buy them in Canada used for around $1200 CAD which is about £700.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:48 am 

I think you would be hard pressed to find a pair of used Signature 1's for 1200 (maybe Model 1 Signatures??) but very lucky if you can! Having said that, at the Canadian list price of 3300 - that is 2200 bucks more in the UK for the Signature 1's - holy cow that is a huge difference!!!
jp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:57 am 

This is the new 2017 on Signature One with larger 6.5" bass driver, not the older one that was made for many years and basically the original model one.

I thought that might raise a few eyebrows! Seems like the Dyns are cheap here but the Totems expensive, Europe VS Canada etc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:15 am 

Canadian prices for Dynaudio s40’s when compared to US and European pricing seem very high.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm 

The Dynaudio Special Forty are only overpriced to those who have not heard them. I think they are worth the cost. You need to really hear these before you can make comments regarding the price. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:36 pm 

Don't sound overpriced from where I'm sitting right now, a bargain for £2500, superb so far!!!! If you told me they were £3500 or more I could quite believe it.