Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: I've been ripped off
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 pm 

I recently put a deposit of $1,000 down on a pair of new speakers that I was ordering.

It's a pretty crazy story but if the store owner doesn't help me I am out $1,000.

So what happened is we were emailing back and forth about a pair of speakers. Then he sends an email saying that he'll need a deposit. Fair enough.

I send the EMT to what I know as a known dealer in the GTA, and then radio silence. I imagine he's busy and don't think too much about it.

A week or so later I contact him to follow up. He doesn't know anything about the EMT. He thinks that I AM TRYING THE SAM HIM! AH!

So finally I get him to calm down and I give him some proof. The EMT went to his email, it was accepted and transferred. Verified by interact E-transfer.

Now he believes me but he doesn't have my money.

What I believe happened was his email is compromised and someone who either works for him, has access to his email or is some sort of hacker was emailing me on his behalf and conned me via email.

I don't think there is any help for me. Any suggestions?

Also a warning. It's never worth it to do an EMT or Interact Email Money Transfer!!!! NEVER.

Post subject: Re: I've been ripped off
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:30 pm 

Wow, that's too bad..for him.
Seems to me with all of the proof you have, any problems there are would be his and he should do what he has to in order to deliver. Don't want to seem callous, but sometimes you lose being in business.
There may be those that stand behind Interac and EMT, but I'm not one of them, your case being an example of one good reason.
Best keep copies and printouts of anything pertaining to this transaction, you may need it. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:52 pm 

I thought I read a story just like this a week or two ago but I can't seem to find it now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:00 pm 

noway wrote:
I thought I read a story just like this a week or two ago but I can't seem to find it now.

+1

Can you share the screenshot of the confirmation that you received from the bank that it was accepted by the e-mail address / recipient that you sent it to?

+1 what was said below. Take it to the police and get them to investigate. They can request the acct info from the bank and follow up.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

Last edited by shawnwes on Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:03 pm 

being a business you could have used a CC and been protected in this case. The credit card company would have investigated where the money went in order to reclaim it; but the banks are unwilling to do so as it hasn't costed them anything. This is where the change needs to take place; there is a record of where that money was deposited.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:11 pm 

Well, for starters, have you reported it to the police? The banks will know exactly where the money went, it's not like cash, it goes into someones bank account. If the account is in some third world country, then yes, you're likely SOL, but if it went into a North American account, there's a trail that can be followed.

Getting the police to work the case may be difficult, and it will require a court order or two to get the banks to release the data, but a crime has been committed, and there is a virtual paper trail that can be followed.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:16 pm 
Premium User

You have proof that your EMT was accepted from the email that he supplied you. He is responsible for that and has to accept that you have paid a $1000.00 deposit. If he doesn't accept responsibility, he's defrauding you.
Is this guy an authorized dealer for that make of speakers? If so, demand that he supplies you with the speakers OR refund you the $1000.00.
If he refuses, go over his head to the manufacturer. Verify that he is an Authorized dealer for their speakers. If he's not, they'll tell you. If he is authorized, tell them what happened and offer them the proof of deposit. See if they will help you.
If they don't, tell them that you are going to post their company name and the Dealer name on every Audio site that you can find, that their Dealer is a crook and that they refused to help you.
In fact, if that Dealer doesn't take responsibility, tell him that you are going to post on Canuck Audio Mart and any other site in Canada that he stole your money. There is a Dealer Feedback section on CAM that you can use.

Oh, and by the way EMT is a great way to do business. EMT is not the problem; the dealer is the problem. The EMT system is providing you with proof that you sent the deposit and that it was accepted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:18 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
Well, for starters, have you reported it to the police? The banks will know exactly where the money went, it's not like cash, it goes into someones bank account. If the account is in some third world country, then yes, you're likely SOL, but if it went into a North American account, there's a trail that can be followed.

Getting the police to work the case may be difficult, and it will require a court order or two to get the banks to release the data, but a crime has been committed, and there is a virtual paper trail that can be followed.

Good luck!

If it was Interac that only works within Canada AFAIK.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:23 pm 
Premium User

Last edited by byefi on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 pm 

noway wrote:
I'm pretty sure that was resolved as many along with I can attest, the dealer mentioned in the deleted post is so reputable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:37 pm 

dlodewyk wrote:
I recently put a deposit of $1,000 down on a pair of new speakers that I was ordering.

It's a pretty crazy story but if the store owner doesn't help me I am out $1,000.

So what happened is we were emailing back and forth about a pair of speakers. Then he sends an email saying that he'll need a deposit. Fair enough.

I send the EMT to what I know as a known dealer in the GTA, and then radio silence. I imagine he's busy and don't think too much about it.

A week or so later I contact him to follow up. He doesn't know anything about the EMT. He thinks that I AM TRYING THE SAM HIM! AH!

So finally I get him to calm down and I give him some proof. The EMT went to his email, it was accepted and transferred. Verified by interact E-transfer.

Now he believes me but he doesn't have my money.

What I believe happened was his email is compromised and someone who either works for him, has access to his email or is some sort of hacker was emailing me on his behalf and conned me via email.

I don't think there is any help for me. Any suggestions?

Also a warning. It's never worth it to do an EMT or Interact Email Money Transfer!!!! NEVER.

If you made this purchase through a CAM ad, then you report the situation to CAM (start with 'report ad' if it's still up) and attempt to get their support.

-- 28 Jun 2018 23:40 --

starman100 wrote:
noway wrote:
I'm pretty sure that was resolved as many along with I can attest, the dealer mentioned in the deleted post is so reputable.

How are you so sure it was 'resolved'. The dealer was mentioned in the previous post and it was only a day or two with no confirmation of the order from the dealer. This is a whole different thing now....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:23 pm 

Call the police .Open a case. Also contact your bank and inform them of the situation. then call the receiver of the funds and inform him that his is going to be charged with fraud and to get a lawyer. This may scare him into refunding you the funds so as not the have a criminal record. Also state the bank and the police will be contacting him asking questions about the transaction. His company insurance should pay for it . Also infirm him that your contacting the better business bureau and the news media about this story. Usually it gets solved quickly this way. Never let the other guy pull the wool over you or try to defend himself in a way that your at fault here. Always make him feel uneasy and that your in control of the situation till you get the money back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:28 pm 

Sorry to hear this happened, I wish you the best on this.

I bought a camera lens from someone in Ontario and they scammed me. Being naive as the photo community is generally solid, I used EMT. Well it turns out I wasn't the only person being scammed by this person. I opened a police report, they got all his/her banking info and al found they actually live in Ontario! There was or is a warrant out for their arrest but that was almost 2 years ago and I haven't heard a peep since the Edmonton police transferred the case. That money is likely forever gone and who knows where the person is. There's zero recourse with EMT, even if they know exactly who committed the crime.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:38 pm 

Hopefully the OP will post the conclusion. Sounds like a ripoff, but maybe things need to settle down a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 am 

Im not sure if the bank would pursue the fraud claim. The buyer received a payment with a security question offered up by the seller. There was intent to pay by the seller and the bank would need to know 100% there was fraud to act on it. Even then, would they? They are a bank and don't want to get involved in what could wind up being a case where charges are laid. If your account is compromised and there is fraud they would act on it otherwise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next