Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:55 pm 

Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with my Marantz 2325 and would appreciate any suggestions from any of you that may have encountered same problem. Before I continue let me apologize in advance for any typing errors as i am legally blind. For the record I'm inexperienced with electronics, only what i've learned from reading other forums here. This is my first post here so please excuse my ignorance, hopefully i'm in the correct section for my question, which is as follows....

Recently I've noticed a kind of popping sound from one channel. After examining I noticed the protection circuit relay showed signs of arcing and appeared blackened. Rather than cleaning it I replaced the relay with a new Omron relay. After replacing the relay i completely lost one channel.

After a bunch of reading and online assessment I determined (don't ask me how) that the problem lies in one of the power amp boards. I swapped boards and the problem moved, therefore i conclude the board had to be the issue. After more reading I discovered a Marantz service bulletin regarding some power amp board diode replacement which i did replace. Another recommendation that appeared frequently while researching was replacement of 3 specific capacitors, which I did as well. In addition I touched up every solder joint to eliminate and cold solder joints. After assembly and testing i still have only one channel, when I swap boards the issue moves with the board.

Well thats pretty much it, if anyone has any suggestions for me i would really appreciate it. It really is a nice unit, would be great to get her firing on all cylinders again.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:28 am 

Hi JT Boar,
Your receiver needs to be serviced by a real technician. Avoid people who dop "recaps".

Try to find someone who used to do MArantz warranty in the good old days. They will be more familiar with that receiver and do a much better job on it.

Given it's age, there are likely a number of things that need attention. It's well worth maintaining. I have a 2325 myself as well, and I would hate to see yours hacked.

You can send me a message if you would like to know more. The other thing that now probably needs replacement is the speaker protection relay. The arc you saw may have damaged the contacts.

-Chris