Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hana cartridges
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 pm 

Hi
I currently use a denon dl103 with my vintage table along with a denon au320 sut into a vintage McIntosh preamp. I have heard great things about the Hana cartridges and I am considering making a purchase but I am torn between the high and low output options. Is there any advantage to using one over the other? Obviously I have the option of both since I can bypass the sut if I want. As far as sound quality goes is one preferred over the other?
Thanks
Deek

Post subject: Re: Hana cartridges
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:22 pm 

The main benefit of a moving coil cartridge (over moving magnet) is that the cantilever moves tiny coils that weigh much less than the magnets in a MM pickup … resulting in better detail and dynamics. I hope that makes sense.

High output moving coils need bigger (and heavier) coils to generate voltages that a MM preamp can deal with, and this more or less negates the benefit of using a moving coil. To my ears, low-output MCs sound more refined (given the proper step-up or phono preamp).

All things being equal, I would choose a low-output MC over hi-output … especially if you already have a step-up transformer.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 pm 

I went from a DL103 to the SL and have been very happy with it . I listened to the EL up against a MP500(moving iron) and it was very nice also but the SL is better in my opinion . Won't get into terms but after 8 months it seems to do everything well . I run mine thru IFI phono 2 into tube pre parallel loaded at 500ohm . They recommend 400ohm for both carts . If you have a 10x sut you would be at 300 ohm load as the cart is 30 ohm impedance which will sound good but 400-500 just opens it up nicely . The SL plays my older/worn vinyl quieter than the 103 which is a bonus . Don't think you would be disappointed with either .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:24 am 

I have an SL on my Origin Live 250 arm/Thorens 150 combination and really like. Really, really, really like it! Plays really well on old records, and is very revealing and detailed. Recommended.