Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Only paying dealers and advertisers may post here. Please only post using your MAIN official dealer account, other posts will be deleted without warning.

The only replies allowed by non-dealers in this Dealer News & Announcements Forum should be directly related to what is being announced (availability, timeline, pricing, etc..) and not on the merits of the products themselves. This is not a forum for review or debate of the merits of various technologies and products being announced.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:35 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

On Sat June 23 2018 (12-5pm) Star Electronics is going to reveal some hard facts between these 2 audio formats. This will be a huge opportunity to experience top end gear on two competing state of the art technologies. We guarantee this won't be your typical and boring digital vs analog seminar. This will be something you have never experienced before! So drop in to the Digital and Analog Playback Event we have planned for you at Star Electronics!

• Two Digital/Analog technology seminars will be conducted starting at 1pm and the second starting at 3pm
• Seminar attendees will qualify to win a pair of Mitchell and Johnson headphone
• Refreshments and appetizers will be served during the event.
• Free vinyl cleaning between 11am – 1pm & 4:30pm – 6:pm
• Special pricing on new and used records

What will you see in the analog playback event?
• Acoustic Solid, Linn and Goldnote turntables, Thoress and Goldnote Phonostage, Acoustic Solid tonearms

What will you see for digital playback?
• Brinkmann Digital, Linn DSM streamer, Yamaha multiroom streamer, Goldnote Streamer, Roon, MQA, DSD,

Amplification, Loudspeakers and cables:
• Audiovector and Goldnote speakers, Accustic Arts, SPL, Belles, Unison research, Adcom, Linn, Cardas, Synergistic Research

See you soon!

Star Electronics
1136 The Queensway
Toronto, Ontario M8Z1P7

P. 416 251-1111
www.stardeals.ca

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:21 pm 
Premium User

Dropped in for a couple of hours today. Very good demonstrations between analogue and digital , some great people to chat with, very nice gear on display and LPs, snacks, etc. Very enjoyable and informative.

Attachments:
IMG_2598.jpg
IMG_2598.jpg [ 103.14 KiB | Viewed 483 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:44 pm 

vinylbrother wrote:
Dropped in for a couple of hours today. Very good demonstrations between analogue and digital , some great people to chat with, very nice gear on display and LPs, snacks, etc. Very enjoyable and informative.

And do you have an answer to the eternal question?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:42 am 
Premium User

Well, I certainly have a " preference " yet that preference is more due to my living arrangements and habits as a listener. In short, 3x out of 5, I always preferred the analogue version of the same tune. Just seemed more authentic and natural. However, this preference is limited to one room listening ( generally ). The digital sound was equally enjoyable in it's own way and could tend to sound a little clearer with better definition on some recording less some air ( sense of space ) that analogue has always been appreciated for. Living in a multi room home with multiple users, the convenience of streaming digital in multi room applications means several listeners with mobile devices can all share server/NAS at the same time with very good quality indeed. It all depends on each individual, their preference, living spaces and expectations of both quality and convenience. What the demonstrations did show me in no uncertain terms was that no matter what source was preferred, it continues to boil down to software quality initially, yet when both sources were demonstrated with excellent quality recordings, they were both extremely enjoyable. There are many factors that will determine which source will end up being right for you ! It also showed me there is no " one sound suits all " . Again, a very thorough and enjoyable afternoon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:09 am 

"There are many factors that will determine which source will end up being right for you ! It also showed me there is no " one sound suits all"

That is the answer to life isn't it.
I think digital sounds great also but for me, it is vinyl and not just that I love the sound that comes with it but also the emotional connections to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:26 am 
Premium User

Yes my friend. When I was a kid, I would rush down to the local record store to pick up the latest anticipated LP's coming out. I remember getting on the school bus with a brand new copy of The Who " Who's Next ", Alice Cooper " Killer " , Black Sabbath " Paranoid " , the list just goes on and on. I was the coolest kid that morning it seemed. I grew up with vinyl being the ONLY format. the liner notes, jacket, bio's, etc. Just much more interactive it seems than a digital file or a USB stick in your pocket. mmmmmmm, those were the days man. If I could put a turntable in the car I would ! LOL. Might be a little rough around the corners though ! LOL

One thing I did come away with thats for sure, is I highly doubt you will ever purge the earth of vinyl and vinyl collectors and in my humble opinion, the world is just a better place as a result of that !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:50 pm 

vinylbrother wrote:
Yes my friend. When I was a kid, I would rush down to the local record store to pick up the latest anticipated LP's coming out. I remember getting on the school bus with a brand new copy of The Who " Who's Next ", Alice Cooper " Killer " , Black Sabbath " Paranoid " , the list just goes on and on. I was the coolest kid that morning it seemed. I grew up with vinyl being the ONLY format. the liner notes, jacket, bio's, etc. Just much more interactive it seems than a digital file or a USB stick in your pocket. mmmmmmm, those were the days man. If I could put a turntable in the car I would ! LOL. Might be a little rough around the corners though ! LOL

One thing I did come away with thats for sure, is I highly doubt you will ever purge the earth of vinyl and vinyl collectors and in my humble opinion, the world is just a better place as a result of that !

Hahaha, I am totally with you. I had to do a Conservatory of Music exam down by UofT when I was in grade 7 approx. and my Mom said she would buy me an album after it if I studied and worked hard on it. Boston, first album, under my arm on the subway and then the bus and back home. Couldn't be happier. That and heading down to Sam's, A and A, etc....on Yonge Street and buying albums with the money you saved doing odd jobs. Tactile and real.
Love it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:15 am 
Premium User

As we would have said back then. " Right on man ! " :D