Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:24 pm 

I have been a collector of vacuum tubes since I was a teen-ager seventy years ago. (I was never a commercial "dealer" in tubes, solely a collector). The number of tubes in my basement is in the thousands. While the vast majority will be of no use to anyone, there are several hundred tubes of interest to "Audiophiles". Strict CAM regulations will make it difficult for me to sell all these and keep them in Canada during my lifetime. (I will be 88 in a few months).

1. My general question is "How can I maximize my rate of sales without breaking a "law" ?

2. When I reach the e-mail correspondence stage, can I ask the buyer if he has any other tube needs, and if so, can I post this as my next ad and give him first chance at it?

3. Can I send buyers a list of tubes and asking prices I will be adding to my ads in the future?

That's it for now. But I expect more questions will follow as I learn the ropes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:33 pm 

"Strict CAM regulations will make it difficult for me to sell all these and keep them in Canada during my lifetime. (I will be 88 in a few months)."

How so?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:45 pm 

Err, this gent - rightly so at 88! - does not want to be a Commercial seller and therefore bound to pay a CAM business member fee for his sales. As a CAM private seller - you know the ropes - he has a strict limit of items for sale/ sold by year, etc. That's how so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm 

Err, how does becoming a CAM business or premium member and paying a fee for one's sales make things difficult for someone?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 pm 

1. to maximize rate of sales all depends how fast you want to move them and how much cash you're willing to accept... don't think you can break any laws if you're honest
2. yes, not really necessary
3. yes

I'll be keeping an eye out for your ad :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:25 pm 

I would pay big money for some 88 year old mullards! OOS not NOS! Lol! Just purchased two older bugle boys for my preamp 12at7 .Good luck selling all those tubes you should do well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:45 am 
Premium User

I think breaking the tubes into "lots" would be a way to quickly move things.....look at the Upscale Audio Auctions.......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 am 

I would just post an ad for tubes for sale, and have a list ready (sortable, excel file or similar)
b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:59 am 
Premium User

johnww wrote:
Err, how does becoming a CAM business or premium member and paying a fee for one's sales make things difficult for someone?

+1

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:25 am 

The best way to maximize sales is to advertise what you have exacyly, the readings and if they were tested for noise and microphonics.

You sell pairs, you sell quads...
That's how you maximise profits.

Bulk sales will net minimum values.
Premium item, premium price.

And as others have mentioned unless you got the Primo account this will take some time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:48 am 

I hope you got another 10 good years ahead.

But if you really want to move the hundreds of tubes expeditiously, you should go premium for $50......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Topbander wrote:
Strict CAM regulations will make it difficult for me to sell all these and keep them in Canada during my lifetime.

Welcome to CAM Topbander, I think there might be ways to sell many of your tubes on CAM while following the rules. I'll try to help out by answering these questions and giving you some suggestions:

Topbander wrote:
1. My general question is "How can I maximize my rate of sales without breaking a "law" ?

1. While each ad on CAM must explicitly list a single item, if you have multiples of an identical item you can list them together (eg 25 of the same tube can be listed together).
  2. If you have a box of tubes you want to sell all together to a single buyer, for a single price (we call these "Lots"), you can list those tubes together in a lot.
  3. See my reply at the bottom about Multiple Listings for rules on how to move more items in one single listing.

Topbander wrote:
2. When I reach the e-mail correspondence stage, can I ask the buyer if he has any other tube needs, and if so, can I post this as my next ad and give him first chance at it?

You're free to upsell, cross sell and generally talk to your buyers as much as you want. Say someone contacts you about 1 tube you listed, there's no reason you can't talk to them about anything else you have, and if they end up buying 20 tubes from you that's just fine - there's no need to list those additional tubes they want to buy on CAM. CAM is a classifieds system designed to pair buyers with sellers, once those relationships are formed we don't regulate the relationship and what sales take place. What we don't want is a "bait and switch" listing though, one where you list one item with an outrageously attractive price but with no intent to actually sell that item, and instead the only intent is to try to sell other items to anyone who reaches out to you.

Topbander wrote:
3. Can I send buyers a list of tubes and asking prices I will be adding to my ads in the future?

You can do this but you cannot make a generic ad that says "I have tons of tubes, please email for a list". Every ad must explicitly list a specific item, but if you have 50 of the same tube or nearly identical tubes you can list them in a single listing. When people contact you, you can also let them know you have other tubes and if they want you can send them a list. The point is you cannot make a listing whose sole purpose is to ask people to reach out to you for a list. You can also briefly mention at the bottom of your ad that you have over ____ tubes in your collection and that you're happy to talk to anyone looking for tubes, but the listing itself must be for a specific item in your collection.

Please note that you cannot post a list of brands or models in any ad that have nothing to do with the ad caption. For instance, you cannot say " I also have "brand B" and "Brand C" for sale or "I also have "the following items for sale: " followed by a list of other items.

Listing multiple items

It is possible to list more than one item in a listing as long as they are nearly identical. In the case of tubes, you can group the same branded tubes which are similar together in one listing as long as it's reasonable. See our Multiple Item listing rules here:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/guidelines.php (scroll down to the bottom)

You can also list multiple tubes in a "lot" if you intend to sell the entire lot in one go. If you want to sell 50 tubes of different makes and models but you only accept a single buyer to take the whole lot you can do that in a single listing.

Despite all of the above, with so many tubes its possible you'll end up needing a Premium or Premium+ account. I personally feel its avoidable if you're selective in what you list and post the most popular tubes in individual listings with a note that you have more if others are interested. Doing this on a Free account you can list 60 per year yet get leads from every person who replies to those ads, there's no need to explicitly create a classified for every tube you want to sell. Think more like how a store might act - they would selectively list some choice items which then brings in potential customers. At its core, CAM is also a community of enthusiasts, and many inquiries turn into conversations, multiple deals, long term relationships, or even generate additional word of mouth sales.

Just from a personal perspective though, if CAM helps you offload a massive collection of tubes, I do feel that it's fair to help CAM out financially in return with a Premium or Premium+ subscription. We consider this a reciprocal relationship to help CAM continue to offer its services at the highest caliber possible.

-- 12 Jun 2018 10:17 am --

mantisory wrote:
I would just post an ad for tubes for sale, and have a list ready (sortable, excel file or similar)
b

Unfortunately depending on how you do this it is against the rules. However, you can do something similar, please see my reply above for details.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:52 am 

[quote="johnww"]"Strict CAM regulations will make it difficult for me to sell all these and keep them in Canada during my lifetime. (I will be 88 in a few months)."

How so?

Maybe he doesn't want to deal with offers from outside Canada??
Ott.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:54 am 

Topbander wrote:
I have been a collector of vacuum tubes since I was a teen-ager seventy years ago. (I was never a commercial "dealer" in tubes, solely a collector). The number of tubes in my basement is in the thousands. While the vast majority will be of no use to anyone, there are several hundred tubes of interest to "Audiophiles". Strict CAM regulations will make it difficult for me to sell all these and keep them in Canada during my lifetime. (I will be 88 in a few months).

How can I maximize my rate of sales.

I would suggest starting by selling off your power tubes in sets of 4's
and 9 pin signal tubes in pairs.

Tubes are often made by one manufacturer, but re inked with other company's name on them.
So posting photos will really help the buyer figuring out who actually made the tube.
Close up photos showing the internals of the tubes will really help.
CAM now has an auction facility, you could consider using this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:59 am 

Etch codes will tell all...