Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:00 pm 

Hello Folks,

I'm the owner of a Sony PS-X600 turntable, made in the early 80's I think.
Cartridge is a Denon DL-103R, which is a LOMC.
The signal from the tt goes into a PS Audio GCPH phono preamp.

I decided to upgrade the stock original interconnect of this turntable.
Actually I searched a lot on this topic, without much success.

One end of the cable needs to be with RCA termination (this goes into the PS Audio).
The other end of the cable should be just bare wire, soldered afterwards to a circuit board in the turntable.
And the ground wire is a must as well.

What I saw on the internet is cables with RCAs on both ends or one end RCA and the other one some sort of a DIN plug.
Obviously those are not suitable for me as they are. I guess I can cut down the DIN end to have access to the bare wires and solder those.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.
I don't want to spend a whole lot on this, between 100-200 bucks max.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:10 pm 

Hi,

For $200 you can have one of the best phono interconnect cables on the planet; the Audio Sensibility copper Impact cable. Google it. Steve Huang the owner of AS will terminate the cable any way you want, or can leave it bare wire. But there is a problem. That Sony table and arm you have are just not up to the task of revealing what that interconnect cable can really do. So, until you invest more in an audiophile TT and arm, I would just buy a reasonably priced phono interconnect cable with RCA's at both ends and cut and solder your way up the learning curve. A phono cable has to be good at passing through tiny tiny signals, at the millivolt level, so just any old line level RCA interconnect cable is not the answer. Good luck.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:49 pm 

Just be mindful of the final capacitance of the cables. So not too long, and you can't use any old cable. You wan't low capacitance per foot cable.

You can buy a capacitance meter for around $50, and measure them yourself. Remember the cable will add to your tonearm wires with the cartridge off.
https://www.rpelectronics.com/dcm-200-capacitance-meter.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:29 am 

Why not fix this permanently and install either a din connector or a pair of RCAs so you can now use a variety of different cables??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:58 am 

I am a huge fan of taking the cable right from the cartridge pins to a male set of Rca connectors. As low capacitance cable as you can find, Belden comes to mind. Go long enough so that you can go directly into your phonostage. This way you eliminate a set of connections which is very desirable with very low level signals All tt's used to come this way but then the manufacturers figured they could fleece us for another set of overpriced 3 foot pair of wires.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 am 

This is what OP is dealing with.

G

Attachments:
img_2.jpg
img_2.jpg [ 55.24 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]
img_1.jpg
img_1.jpg [ 78.35 KiB | Viewed 861 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:54 am 

piramis wrote:
Hello Folks,

I'm the owner of a Sony PS-X600 turntable, made in the early 80's I think.
Cartridge is a Denon DL-103R, which is a LOMC.
The signal from the tt goes into a PS Audio GCPH phono preamp.

I decided to upgrade the stock original interconnect of this turntable.
Actually I searched a lot on this topic, without much success.

One end of the cable needs to be with RCA termination (this goes into the PS Audio).
The other end of the cable should be just bare wire, soldered afterwards to a circuit board in the turntable.
And the ground wire is a must as well.

What I saw on the internet is cables with RCAs on both ends or one end RCA and the other one some sort of a DIN plug.
Obviously those are not suitable for me as they are. I guess I can cut down the DIN end to have access to the bare wires and solder those.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.
I don't want to spend a whole lot on this, between 100-200 bucks max.

Thank you!
I had a PS-X600 in my system briefly, currently on loan to a friend. I found that with LOMC the mute switch produced an audible click when it broke the connection, so I tried MM instead which proved to be noiseless.

Since the arm uses active damping I can't say for certain whether the DL-103 is a bad match or not, but I did find the Shure VMR a synergistic match. I'm inclined to consider the Biotracer sonically kin to an SME 3009 S/II in that regard. It should do well with warmer cartridges along the likes of the Shure, Sumiko, Grace, etc.

Can't offer much recommendation as regards the cable, but the Audio Sensibility cable mentioned earlier seems reasonable to me so long as the total capacitance is well enough under 100pF.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 am 

Get the audio sensibility. Remove the din. When you get s better setup, replace the din

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

For $200 you can have one of the best phono interconnect cables on the planet; the Audio Sensibility copper Impact cable. Google it. Steve Huang the owner of AS will terminate the cable any way you want, or can leave it bare wire. But there is a problem. That Sony table and arm you have are just not up to the task of revealing what that interconnect cable can really do. So, until you invest more in an audiophile TT and arm, I would just buy a reasonably priced phono interconnect cable with RCA's at both ends and cut and solder your way up the learning curve. A phono cable has to be good at passing through tiny tiny signals, at the millivolt level, so just any old line level RCA interconnect cable is not the answer. Good luck.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:25 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
David Neice

Hey David,
I recently grabbed one of the AS Impact cables for my Technics 1200G, and it sure is excellent. A definite upgrade over the stock cable, and the value is off the chart.
Next step... sorting out what cartridge to hang off the end of it, the 2m Black is sounding really good, but I know there is a whole other level waiting to get out of that table .. 8) 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:44 am 

Double D wrote:
buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
David Neice

Hey David,
I recently grabbed one of the AS Impact cables for my Technics 1200G, and it sure is excellent. A definite upgrade over the stock cable, and the value is off the chart.
Next step... sorting out what cartridge to hang off the end of it, the 2m Black is sounding really good, but I know there is a whole other level waiting to get out of that table .. 8) 8)

David suggested this to me a while back and I finally upgraded to the Audio Sensibility copper cable and WOW!
First off, Steve Huang was amazing to deal with. Very friendly and very professional. He is the guy I would have copied term papers from growing up lol. He is so passionate and dedicated to what he does.
As for the cable, I noticed a better, more open sound right away and I have used it for over 50 hours now and it has gotten even better.
The sound quality on albums I thought had just ok sound, now kind of jump.
Not only that, but I am now playing my music at a lower volume without having to turn it up to get the most out of the system if you know what I mean. Hard to articulate, (because, um, I am not a wordsmith) but in the past, I had to turn it up much higher to achieve the wow factor and now I don't as it is jumping and dancing at my modest lower volume levels.
Anyway, best upgrade for me as of late as I only play vinyl.

And Double D, I am in the stages now of researching the cartridge upgrade next. Have the Shure M97XE on my TT and I love the sound of it but I heard my table with a Hana cartridge on it and it sounded very, very nice. Of course, this was in a sound room at a store and with $10000 more put into the system I heard it on than what I have. But, it sounded very, very nice. :wink:
Thinking about getting the Hana EL.

Anyway, back to the cable thingy.

Love the upgrade and well worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:46 pm 

drywhitetoast wrote:

Love the upgrade and well worth it.

I upgraded the stock cable that came with a dynavector 507 mkII with the audio sensibility. My enjoyment has of the system has gone way up.