Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bryston Power Amps
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:08 pm 

Will Bryston ever succumb to the temptation of building and marketing a class A amp?

Post subject: Re: Bryston Power Amps
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:15 pm 

While I doubt it, I would be really interested in hearing it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:20 pm 

Not long ago I would have said, why would they bother given their success with the amps they already sell. But I now own a Bryston turntable so.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:26 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
Not long ago I would have said, why would they bother given their success with the amps they already sell. But I now own a Bryston turntable so.....

Hmmm...? I suppose they could cut a deal with Pass Labs and offer a Class A "Bryston".

Hmmm...? Maybe not. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:21 pm 

the problem is do you think they could warranty it for 20 years? and that could pretty much answer it all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:16 am 

zon001 wrote:
the problem is do you think they could warranty it for 20 years? and that could pretty much answer it all.

Or make the warranty non-transferable as they do for speakers?

BTW are you saying that Class A amps are intrinsically unreliable? You fear heat I guess.

Last edited by PBB on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:49 am 

Given Bryston’s resources and design chops, I’m sure they could produce a reliable class A amp. Now the cost of producing this might be market prohibitive given the relatively small customer demand for these.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:27 am 

b3733366 wrote:
KJT1 wrote:

Hmmm...? I suppose they could cut a deal with Pass Labs and offer a Class A "Bryston".

Hmmm...? Maybe not. ;)

Nah...hopefully they'd pick a company that makes a good sounding amp..... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:50 am 

PBB wrote:
zon001 wrote:

Or make the warranty non-transferable as Bryston does for its speakers?

BTW are you saying that Class A amps are intrinsically unreliable? You fear heat I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:52 am 

PBB wrote:
zon001 wrote:

Or make the warranty non-transferable as the do for speakers?

to make a good reliable class ab with 20 year warranty, is one thing, but a class A is another. chances are they would have to consider recapping it within the 20 year period.
and recapping a class A is like 3 to 4 time the price of a class ab. wich is something to consider in the price.
when giving 20 year warranty on a class ab chances are , it should not need a recapped job within that time. so replacing a few transistors and other small inexpensive parts is one thing, recapping is very expensive on a class a,probably THE most expensive repairs. many time it cost the same as the value of the unit.
so when you have the best reputation for selling amps that are reliable, and free to repair for 20 year. not sure if they want to go there.
I would see them adventuring more into class D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:52 am 

zon001 wrote:
PBB wrote:
zon001 wrote:

Or make the warranty non-transferable as the do for speakers?

to make a good reliable class ab with 20 year warranty, is one thing, but a class A is another. chances are they would have to consider recapping it within the 20 year period.
and recapping a class A is like 3 to 4 time the price of a class ab. wich is something to consider in the price.
when giving 20 year warranty on a class ab chances are , it should not need a recapped job within that time. so replacing a few transistors and other small inexpensive parts is one thing, recapping is very expensive on a class a,probably THE most expensive repairs. many time it cost the same as the value of the unit.
so when you have the best reputation for selling amps that are reliable, and free to repair for 20 year. not sure if they want to go there.
I would see them adventuring more into class D

Perhaps you can elaborate on this statment. The cost of caps is not reliant on the class of an amplifier, and the amount of caps used is dependent on it’s design. The below full Class A Sugden has a fraction of the caps as the A/B Bryston…how would it cost more to recap the Sugden?

Attachments:
SUGDEN-A-21-SE-04.jpg
SUGDEN-A-21-SE-04.jpg [ 277.75 KiB | Viewed 2572 times ]
bryston-28bsst2-stereo-amplifier-02-lg.jpg
bryston-28bsst2-stereo-amplifier-02-lg.jpg [ 180.5 KiB | Viewed 2572 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:21 am 

first you are comparing a 30 watt amp to a 1000 watt amp ??? you should compare then a krell fpb 700 to that 28 b. and yes the krell have close to 300 caps. how many on your 28 b
if you want to make comparaison, please be realistic?
a capacitor job on that same krell is in the $4000 range and about 22 hours of labour.
all of the class a amp I owned (6) ,add much more capacitors then any of my class Ab when comparing similar desing and power.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:41 am 

PBB wrote:
Will Bryston ever succumb to the temptation of building and marketing a class A amp?

I had to think about this a bit. I came up with two reasons.

1) Reliability. The product must last 20 years to meet their warranty.
2) When their amps are used with speakers with normal impedance characteristics (which is almost all speakers) the Brystons will sound as good as any class A amp.

BTW I used to own the gigantic Classe DR2 and a currently own several Brystons.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:56 am 

I'd be happy enough if Bryston would start designing class A/B amps that double their output from 8 or 4 ohms.

Bryston has (mostly) followed the widespread practice in pro audio: the output of the amp increases about 50% when presented with a 4-ohm load.

For example, what is probably the best-selling Bryston amp—the 4B—in its current iteration, is rated at 300 Wrms @ 8 ohms and 500 @ 4 ohms. Or the 7B, which outputs 600 Wrms into 8 ohms and 900 into 4 ohms.

But audiophile practice (not all brands and models of course) has tended to favour a power supply and output devices that can support doubling (or close to doubling) the power output from 8 to 4 ohms.

That, for me, would address what I consider a major limitation in all Bryston power amps (except the 28B, which does almost 'double down', and which I have not auditioned): a thin and somewhat recessed bass.

Having said that, I'd be surprised if Bryston took up either suggestion: to make a pure class A amp or to redesign their current line up to support more robust current delivery.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 am 
Premium User

KJT1 wrote:
Nah...hopefully they'd pick a company that makes a good sounding amp..... :wink:

:lol:

:roll: