Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

What type of plating do you prefer?
Rhodium 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Silver 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Gold 34%  34%  [ 26 ]
Other (please share in the comments) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Just plain old copper, baby! 27%  27%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 77
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:01 pm 
Premium User

Hi all,

Just an informal poll about what material you prefer your interconnects, plugs, etc., plated with.
If you have any personal experience with changing from one type to another, for whatever reason, please share it.
Do you prefer certain types based on the application? Share that too!
If you are a "purist" [IE. no plating at all], please share those views as well.
Basically, if you have any thoughts about any aspect of anything (related to the topic, anyways), let's hear it!

Cheers!

NRG Custom Cables
Designed by Math & Science
not by marketing

Last edited by NRG Custom Cables on Tue May 22, 2018 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:23 am 

Gold plating is my fave - mainly because of the choice of connectors on everybody else's gear in the world. Gold offers a happy medium that mates well with everything with the least amount of variation.
Silver is a better conductor, but oxidizes.
Bare copper oxidizes and needs maintenance.
Rhodium is durable, but is a poor conductor.
However, all things being equal, if I could control, it, I'd do bare copper from end to end.
I do that with power cables, but that doesn't change the fact that receptacles at the end user level, whether it be on the component, or at the wall, are made of brass.
My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 am 

I agree with the copper, except you got to get in there and brush off the oxidation or just cut more wire. If you look at the connections (including generic power cables) on most upstart gear, it looks silver. Of course it isn’t silver. They are using some type of nickel blend that sounds harsh. I think rhodium aftermarket connects are the go-to with those. I like gold too but not with cheap gear, I think rhodium is better.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:27 am 
Premium User

Quick edit - I forgot to put Gold in the poll.
Sorry folks!

NRG Custom Cables
Designed by Math & Science
not by marketing

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:49 pm 

What about nickel plating, most cost effective connectors have this do they not...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:02 pm 

AudiOhm wrote:
What about nickel plating, most cost effective connectors have this do they not...

Regards
Ohms

Nickel plating would never be something that I would consider. Cheap, which is why you'll find it in budget connectors, but relative to decent cheap non-plated connectors (ie. high copper content brass, Olin 688 brass, etc.), even better non plated connectors (ie. beryllium copper) or gold, rhodium or other higher quality combination platings, the nickel plating will impart a thinner, tipped up sound with slight distortions particularly in the high frequencies.

It's cheap, so, yes, you find it in cost effective connectors but you won't find it in any of the better audio connectors.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:15 pm 

Blake wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Nickel plating would never be something that I would consider. Cheap, which is why you'll find it in budget connectors, but relative to decent cheap non-plated connectors (ie. high copper content brass, Olin 688 brass, etc.), even better non plated connectors (ie. beryllium copper) or gold, rhodium or other higher quality combination platings, the nickel plating will impart a thinner, tipped up sound with slight distortions particularly in the high frequencies.

It's cheap, so, yes, you find it in cost effective connectors but you won't find it in any of the better audio connectors.

Just saying, it should be on the list...I understand it's capabilities...

Most here would never admit that they have, or have had Nickel Plated connectors/receptacles...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:31 pm 

AudiOhm wrote:
... Just saying, it should be on the list... I understand it's capabilities...

I am pretty confidant, that the OP is also aware of the the 'capabilities' (your wording not mine) of Nickel Plating...
And its inherited, sonic weaknesses also.
--
Therefore, although it may be the plating material of choice (for some people)...
It has thus, 'More Than Likely' already been eliminated -- For the current requirements of the OP.

~~ "To Each His Own" (1946 Film). ~~

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:04 pm 

I think that most gear is nickel plated at the power input connection where you connect your power cord.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 am 

wtf22 wrote:
I think that most gear is nickel plated at the power input connection where you connect your power cord.
wtf22 wrote:

Absolutely true. And without doubt the most difficult nickel plated connection(s) to eliminate for most of us.

I have a couple of Furutech IEC inlets that I purchased years ago that are still sitting around because any of the components I wanted to place them in simply required too much surgery for me to do to properly install them.

A tech would probably be able to do it but I am no tech unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:42 pm 

Gold plating usually involves the copper substrate being nickel plated first and then the gold plate is applied on top of the nickel.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Gold plating is often used in electronics, to provide a corrosion-resistant electrically conductive layer on copper, typically in electrical connectors and printed circuit boards.
With direct gold-on-copper plating, the copper atoms tend to diffuse through the gold layer, causing tarnishing of its surface and formation of an oxide and/or sulphide layer.
A layer of a suitable barrier metal, usually nickel, is often deposited on the copper substrate before the gold plating. The layer of nickel provides mechanical backing for the gold layer, improving its wear resistance. It also reduces the impact of pores present in the gold layer.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:20 pm 

So let's see, we have copper, coated in nickel, then in gold...so if gold has an effect on the sound, would not the nickel below it counter it's effects...just asking...

Maybe we need a metallurgist to chime in...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm 

AudiOhm wrote:
So let's see, we have copper, coated in nickel, then in gold...so if gold has an effect on the sound, would not the nickel below it counter it's effects...just asking...

Regards
Ohms

Yes, it most definitely would. The Wiki article, however is dealing somewhat in generalization; companies like Furutech and Oyaide, for example, that really specialize in the plating of audio specific connectors are not using nickel plating. Other materials possibly might be used; my Oyaide R1 receptacle for example is palladium over platinum over beryllium copper, Furutech plates gold and rhodium directly over what they refer to as their Alpha pure copper. It can be done-you just need to pay for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:09 pm 

Blake wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

Yes, it most definitely would. The Wiki article, however is dealing somewhat in generalization; companies like Furutech and Oyaide, for example, that really specialize in the plating of audio specific connectors are not using nickel plating. Other materials possibly might be used; my Oyaide R1 receptacle for example is palladium over platinum over beryllium copper, Furutech plates gold and rhodium directly over what they refer to as their Alpha pure copper. It can be done-you just need to pay for it.

I cannot imagine that all these coatings prior to the desired one all have positive effects, most have poor conductivity as compared to copper...rhodium, palladium, and platinum are less conductive than Nickle...just saying...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:38 pm 

AudiOhm wrote:
Blake wrote:
AudiOhm wrote:

Regards
Ohms

I cannot imagine that all these coatings prior to the desired one all have positive effects, most have poor conductivity as compared to copper...rhodium, palladium, and platinum are less conductive than Nickle...just saying...

Regards
Ohms

+1
All those coatings must be like roadblocks/speedbumps to the music-making electrons making their way through your audio system.