Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A/V sync issues
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 pm 

My 6 month old Shaw cable box uses a Monster HDMI cable direct to my LG OLED TV with the option of running it through my stereo via a DH Labs Silversonic Revelation IC direct to my W4S ST-500 integrated. My problem started suddenly about 3 weeks ago;namely my audio and video are out of sync with the sound lagging slightly behind which is worst through the RCA out connection than straight into the TV speakers. I have tried my other monster cable HDMI which is shorter (6 and 8 feet ) and the results are the same. I have had a tech over here and he did not seem to think it all that important however most people see and hear this quite clearly.

Do any of my fellow audiophiles/videophiles have any idea why this is happening and how to rectify it?

Thanks in advance

Bill

Post subject: Re: A/V sync issues
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 am 

I do not think this is a cable issue.

I can adjust the sound + or - through a TV menu option.

Every once and a while I have to set it forward, then back again right away...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:25 am 

HDMI cables work or they don't. There's no in-between. If you have audio and video it's probably a Rogers issue. AFAIK pre/pro's can make the adjustment to get them back into sync.

I'm using a ~15 year old (what was then) TOTL Monster HDMI cable from my Roku Ultra to my 4k Samsung without issue and perfect 4k HDR picture. I use the digital out from the TV to my pre/pre and there are no sync issues.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:15 am 

Audiopath49 - Although dependent on the video clock, audio is processed separately from video which sometimes can fall out of sync with the picture - especially at higher resolutions and or with video enhancements turn on. This is not an issue with the cables. Most TV’s will have a sync adjustment somewhere within their settings, usually under the Audio settings. I would start there. Failing that you can try toying with some of the video enhancement settings such as turning on or off motion blur, HDR settings or any refresh rate settings (some TV’s allow for up to 120hz refresh rates).

Tom_r – Although not in this case, it is possible to have sporadic issues with HDMI cables. HDMI is bandwidth dependent. A 8 bit 4K signal of 3840x2160 at 60hz refresh rate as an example requires up to ~15Gbps of bandwidth. However the signal is not transmitted at a constant 15Gbps, this is just peak bandwidth for that colour depth, resolution and refresh rate. The cable used must be able to accommodate that peak bandwidth otherwise you will receive errors. And because the signal is not transmitted at a constant peak, the errors could be sporadic. The majority of HDMI cables are designed to exceed spec (depending on the HDMI version they are certified for), but it is very possible to have one that is not.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 am 

Have you tried searching for/adjusting the sync settings on the TV? Some generic instructions for LG TVs here: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product ... ut-of-sync