Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Grado headphones
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:06 pm 

Does anyone have any experience with Grado headphones? Sound quality? Comfort? Fit? Sound stage? Comparison to other? Thoughts?

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Teac UD-301/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500; RS2i; GH2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

Post subject: Re: Grado headphones
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:10 pm 

I owned a pair of RS2i for a short period. I enjoyed the sound however found the cup material to be uncomfortable after only a short period of time. Its a personal thing though, and as always I find it critical for anyone considering headphones to try them out first for fit and comfort.

-- 16 May 2018 01:10 --

I owned a pair of RS2i for a short period. I enjoyed the sound however found the cup material to be uncomfortable after only a short period of time. Its a personal thing though, and as always I find it critical for anyone considering headphones to try them out first for fit and comfort.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:38 pm 

I've owned and enjoyed RS1s for about 10 years...love the sound...the ear cups don't bother me but I've never worn them for more than an hour or so at a time...

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm 

I have a pair of rs1. I like the sound but it clamps too hard for me so i can't wear it for more than 1/2 hour.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:14 pm 

I've owned 2 pairs, a "60" and a "125". I like the sound. There is a clear improvement of SQ as you move up the price range.

I changed the ear pads to these, or maybe even cheaper knock off version for comfort. https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cush ... headphones

They are lightweight and with that comes fragility. Careful not to break the wires.

At my desk right now: Kavent CD-731, Gallo Stradas, Gallo TR3D Sub, Raysonic SE-30A mk II (winter amp), ShengYa AS90 (summer amp), Dragonfly DAC2

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 pm 

I've owned 60's, 125's and 325's.

I want so much to like them because of the Brooklyn family business thing but they just don't suit my tastes.

You owe it to yourself to listen to other brands too.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:42 pm 

I have 60s with the 80 pads, and they are pretty uncomfortable after about an hour. I like the sound OK, but I find the combo is prone to getting the "Grado grattle" (or at least a similar buzzing sound, from rogue hairs stuck in the driver), so I have to clean them about every second time I use them... which, consequently, is not that often.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 pm 

I owned the SR60 and RS2. Grados have a very lively sound. The bass and highs are boosted somewhat. They are probably the headphones that will grab your attention the most in a 2 minute demo. After a while, they can be fatiguing.

The SR60 is a great little headphone though. It has good detail, but its lesser clarity (compared to the higher end Grados) actually makes it easier to listen to for longer periods.

The Grados are light and comfortable. If they are too tight, you can bend the metal band outwards to loosen the fit.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 am 

As with any headphone, you will get mixed opinions on both sound quality and or fit - both of which are very subjective and not necessary to your needs or preferences. If you have concerns a specific headphone will sound good and or fit well, it is best to try before you buy.

As for Grado – I don’t mind the sound (can’t recall all models I have demo), but find them ill fitting and the ear pads to be irritating. I also dislike the fact the earcups are free to move 360 degrees. It is well documented on the web that this freedom has contributed to the cable binding and breaking. There are a few methods of restricting this movement, I taped the earpiece adjustment pole to the headband – aesthetically looks like hell, but after dealing with a broken connection within the earcup the ugly mod was worth it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:11 am 

...I should add...I have a big head... :D

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:51 am 

225s are the sweet spot of the line up, in my opinion (until you hit the upper end anyway). They're great cans. I'm looking for another pair.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:14 am 

Stone wrote:
...I should add...I have a big head... :D

Maybe but do you have little ears.... :lol:

PS
General observation:
If comfort is a concern for you buy this one ( I have the Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced Edition):

Attachments:
0d6dcf52e1994e6af615eb5e32bc5a42.jpg
0d6dcf52e1994e6af615eb5e32bc5a42.jpg [ 57.69 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]

Last edited by Genetic on Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:22 am 

I have SR-125s and though the sound is very good, design and build are bad, IMO, like they were made in someone's garage. They fall apart all the time, the original pads were awful, I replaced them.

I'd never buy another pair for comfort and design reasons (the ear pieces twist infinitely, and fall out of their holders, the stethoscope design is dumb especially considering these points - whenever I take them out of the drawer I keep them in, they are a tangled mess).

Perhaps their other models are built better? It's too bad because they sound incredible.

Last edited by L-Man on Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 am 

While I agree about Grados appearing to be poor quality, I bought my SR-225's about 20 years ago and have not had any problems with them. I have a pair of Grado Alessandro MS-1 headphones to listen from a laptop or desktop computer (1/8" plug). I also have a pair of GS1000e headphones. All my Grado's work fine, and have never required any repairs.

Grado headphones are very efficient. The models with the 1/8" plugs can be easily driven by a portable player or laptop, without the need for a headphone amp. My Naim Headline can easily drive the Grado phones, but struggles a bit with planar magnetics in comparison to the Grados.

I love the Grados for jazz and rock. They have great dynamics, and separation of instruments. Among my Grado headphones, I really only listen to the Grado GS1000e now. I would describe the sound as tipped up at the frequency extremes. As a result, I am less tempted to turn them up loud. In comparison to my HiFiMan HE560 headphones, I would describe the GS1000e's as being less congested, and more fun to listen to. I prefer the HE560's for classical.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 pm 

Well... Grados... My 1st love : o) I had a pair of 125, HF2, RS1i, RS1e, GS1000i, PS500 and PS1000e. Love the sound of the RS1i for rock, certainly one of the best IMO and for my taste for that music. GS1000i and PS1000e, those are too big for my taste. You cant even turn your head and have them stay stable. I still have my pair of HF2 (which I loved the sound) and 125. Never listen to them anymore because I found much much much more comfortable. Keeping my pair of HF2 because its a collectors item (number 00) and my 125 because it was the 1st hp I bought!.

As others said, the problem with Grado is comfort. Try them before and not just for 10 minutes. I think comfort is essential for headphones.