Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ads Without Pictures?!
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:21 pm 

How is it possible that ANYONE posting an ad on here does not include a picture of what they are selling?

What’s the theory behind this practice?

Distancing?

I know for a fact in one case it was a re-seller listing it here before he brought it home from another seller on kijiji...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:36 pm 

Keep it cool.....if you don't like the ad, just don't buy it. No need to understand or rationalize what the seller is capable of or not. Maybe he doesn't have a camera or is not able to take pictures. I know of one guy who has had a stroke and physically cannot take pics. If anything about an ad sets me off, I just move on.

If something like this upsets you, I can understand your "handle" on CAM.

Peace.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:19 pm 

CrazyJoeDavola wrote:
How is it possible that ANYONE posting an ad on here does not include a picture of what they are selling?

Distancing?

I know for a fact in one case it was a re-seller listing it here before he brought it home from another seller on kijiji...

Unless I can get one of my kids to post it for me me I'm tech illiterate, and I don't care to learn how.

Last edited by Crosscut100 on Tue May 08, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

CrazyJoeDavola wrote:

Distancing?

Your GI badge is in the mail.

I truly wonder why a pic is neccasary......if you know what it is?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:33 pm 

...I know what lots of things are...sometimes...that increases my desire to see them... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:40 pm 

You guys probably remember the Marantz magazine ad back in the 70s, the one where the receiver survived a house fire. It was all charred and scorched, but it worked.
THAT is what I assume an item looks like if the seller refuses to post a few photos of it ... "It would be minty if I hadn't just dragged it out of a dumpster fire with a chain".

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:32 pm 

Pictures aid both the seller and the buyer in purchasing.

Images create (often) more of a desire to own, it also shows the obvious (condition) and demonstrates a desire to sell.

I can't imagine listing a house, regardless of being able to view it in person, without a picture.

Sales 101, create trust & desire to purchase. Pictures, or lack there of, may either help - or hinder the sale.

Dunno, some folks (as prior mentioned) are not tech savy & some just don't care.
Most of us are emotional buyers - some, well - some spend more time reading the specs...
No pic, you are removing one simple (and awfully important) piece IMO.

Last edited by JGP on Tue May 08, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:43 pm 

Some people are visually oriented, some people are word oriented. An ad with photos engages both.

It's also a huge verification step, that brings in more buyers. It shows the thing actually exists, and is in someone's possession. (You can use specialized search criteria and determine the origin of photos via the web, so that a copied photo from some other website can be identified, a useful anti-fraud check).

It offers the ability to check various things like country of origin, confirm it's actually a 120V version (versus, say, a 100V Japan market unit), allows examination of features, etc for those less familiar with the unit, and so on. Not every seller is actually familiar with audio equipment, photos help answer questions that the seller may not realize should be in the text description.

Not everyone is computer literate, but to those I suggest that if you need someone's help to post a photo, get it. Almost certainly they won't mind helping, it is actually quite simple and won't take but a few moments of their time. Virtually every computer ships with the necessary software, and if for some reason you don't have it, that person will find and download a safe example to your machine.

And unless you're selling postage stamps, please don't post postage-stamp sized photos. 800~1200 pixels wide, the height is not important, usually, will be fine.

For those that do know how to post photos, don't be afraid to post as many as your account allows.

*To CAM Admins*
I looked and did not see a "sticky" on how to create and post photos in the forums. That is a huge oversight that should be corrected ASAP. PM me if you want someone to do the deed, I'd be happy to. If it does actually exist and I missed it, post here. The "Can I post images?" topic in the FAQs doesn't count; it's woefully inadequate to someone who isn't totally computer literate.

Last edited by Johnny2Bad on Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 pm 

No Pics,No sale in my book.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:05 pm 

To drive your average Crazy Joe out of his mind?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:40 am 

I like to get a good look at something I'm considering buying in order to judge the condition and whether there are signs of good care or abuse. Having good photos are important from my perspective as a buyer.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:02 am 

Johnny2Bad wrote:
Some people are visually oriented, some people are word oriented. An ad with photos engages both.

It's also a huge verification step, that brings in more buyers. It shows the thing actually exists, and is in someone's possession. (You can use specialized search criteria and determine the origin of photos via the web, so that a copied photo from some other website can be identified, a useful anti-fraud check).

It offers the ability to check various things like country of origin, confirm it's actually a 120V version (versus, say, a 100V Japan market unit), allows examination of features, etc for those less familiar with the unit, and so on. Not every seller is actually familiar with audio equipment, photos help answer questions that the seller may not realize should be in the text description.

Not everyone is computer literate, but to those I suggest that if you need someone's help to post a photo, get it. Almost certainly they won't mind helping, it is actually quite simple and won't take but a few moments of their time. Virtually every computer ships with the necessary software, and if for some reason you don't have it, that person will find and download a safe example to your machine.

And unless you're selling postage stamps, please don't post postage-stamp sized photos. 800~1200 pixels wide, the height is not important, usually, will be fine.

For those that do know how to post photos, don't be afraid to post as many as your account allows.

*To CAM Admins*
I looked and did not see a "sticky" on how to create and post photos in the forums. That is a huge oversight that should be corrected ASAP. PM me if you want someone to do the deed, I'd be happy to. If it does actually exist and I missed it, post here. The "Can I post images?" topic in the FAQs doesn't count; it's woefully inadequate to someone who isn't totally computer literate.

Wow.....that's some list of special needs needs you have and hey I understand the "doggie in the window" approach. But that's your deal...it's a free country and your money. I however take issue with the suggestion that a seller is some how obligated to accommodate the "free range, grain fed, gluten free" needs of some. There are however some with different buying techniques. If I see an item I want and you have 10 positive feedbacks and say "no issues" it's mine...at your asking price....pic or no pic.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:36 am 

If you can't be bothered posting a pic, I can't be bothered looking at your ad. It's great that CAM has the photo icon so we know which ads to pass by. I'm not familiar with most of the gear I'm looking for so pics are helpful not only for condition but also for features.

One persons 8/10 condition may be another persons 6/10. A few pictures avoids wasting both parties time. Well unless of course if you do as at least one seller on here ... reuse pics from the same item that you've already sold but the current one is in poorer condition! But then again you'd probably only run into that buying from the kijiji gear flipper(s).

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:06 am 

No pics is lazy, not knowing how to post pics and not wanting to learn is lazier still.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:10 am 

Quote:
Keep it cool.....if you don't like the ad, just don't buy it. No need to understand or rationalize what the seller is capable of or not. Maybe he doesn't have a camera or is not able to take pictures. I know of one guy who has had a stroke and physically cannot take pics. If anything about an ad sets me off, I just move on.

+1

But, an ad without pics will be way less successful than one with. Fact (per days of Ebay when that option did exist).