Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:46 pm 

Anyone ever use these ? Intriguing for the price
http://stores.ebay.ca/AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-SURGERY-AND-PARTS

Last edited by aintnosin on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm 

If ever you buy some, please report back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:36 am 

Interesting, and rather cheap. I wonder if their "naim" speaker cables actually match the specs of actual Naim cable as they are advertising it as "Naim" speaker cables.

edit: hmm, it says they are. Interesting indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:03 pm 

I bought a couple pairs a few years ago as part of the cable quest. I have since moved along, but was happy with them and a couple "critical listener" friends also liked them. I do not remember them having any noticable signature.

I gave a pair to someone who has an above average small system, but he is not an "audiophile". He thought they improved upon his stock cables.

It would be interesting to plug them back into my system and see how much $200 - $400 cables have actually improved the sound.......but probably will not get around to it.

I will send you a personal message.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:49 am 

My curiosity got the better of me and the Amplifier Surgery RCA cables are back in the system. For context, my current favourite cables are Morrow MA4's with silver bullet plugs, but usually these are not affordable. A couple prominent brands that I have not heard are Cardas and Wireworld.

This 4 foot pair has the Amphenol plugs and the shielding is grounded through external wires, similar to phono cables. I have put a single quick disconnect terminal on both ground wires so that they can be grounded through different connectors. In this case they are plugged into a ground receptacle on a power bar. This probably makes no difference, but the ground wires emerge from the ends of the cables which are closest to the source component.

They connect a TEAC PD H600 CD player to a NAD C 165BEE preamp. The preamp connects to Emotiva XPA-100 monoblocks with Ultralink Platinum Mark II, cables. The speakers are Axiom M80's and the speaker cables are unterminated 27 foot lengths of standard oxygen free, fine stranded, 10 AWG wire. The speakers are rolled off at 70 Hz and the lowest bass is taken up with a Tannoy 10" subwoofer that is connected with a Take 5 Audio cable. In my opinion, the subwoofer is too small for this duty, but it doesn't know it! The Axioms are big and too close to the corners of the room, but that can not be helped.

Amplifier Surgery cables: They sound really good. I had sent a PM to the OP, and offered to sell them. Now I am not so sure that I want to sell them! They are musical and have lots of bass and detail. In this system they might sacrifice a bit of bass and detail compared to Morrow MA3's, but they are not as bright and are easier to listen too. To me, they are just a tiny bit bright but it might be my system.

This is the best sound that this CD player has ever generated through it's analogue outputs. I have 2 stereos and regard this stereo as the second system. Roy Hargrove's Emergence CD now sounds more musical through this "second system" than it has ever sounded in either system. The brass instruments are especially natural and full sounding.

My systems have changed and improved since these Amplifier Surgery cables were first used, and I have tried quite few different cables in the meantime. Now I am not sure if anything was accomplished with many of the cable swaps. I see that these cables are now offered in more configurations and with Cardas plugs as well as the Amphenols.

The Ultralink Platinum Mark II's are also a happy rediscovery. Their sound is rich, and bassy in this system, but there is also lots of detail. This system tends to some sibilance and the Ultralinks mostly cured that. The Amplifier Surgery cables and the Ultralinks seem to be a very musical combination. One cabling theory is the "complete loom from a single manufacturer". I have never had enough free cash at a single time to try that, so I mix and match as best I can. Sometimes it works.

Conclusion: These Amplifier Surgery cables are very good, especially for the price. I recommend trying at least one pair in a stereo. Different flavours aside, it would be difficult to do better without spending multiples of the Amplifier Surgery prices. These really are a great product and they deserve a positive review.

Last edited by dcrossle on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 pm 

These look pretty interesting, but the shipping cost for a 10' pair is $75 - WTF?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:09 pm 

Lutherton wrote:
These look pretty interesting, but the shipping cost for a 10' pair is $75 - WTF?

I am not sure of the method of shipping, but if you are shipping a $200 order into the States by Fedex, that would be the cost.....

I am going to give them a try. I have ordered a set of RCA/XLR cables and will get a couple of pairs of RCA to RCA for my CD players. Let's see what they can do on a combined order and I will report on how they sound. I was impressed by the prices on all their custom cables. And the materials appear to be top flight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:45 pm 

I bought a 10ft silver plated 4 pin xlr cable for my Audeze LCD3 from Amplifier Surgery and I am very impressed with the build and sound of the cable. Really incredible value when compared to the competition for after market cables.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:44 pm 

Lutherton wrote:

If you are serious, I suggest you email Hamad through his ebay site. He was responsive and VERY accommodating regarding the price and combined shipping. I am sure a serious offer would be considered. On my ebay site I have difficulty with some country's shipping rates. The result is a bulk, one-size-fits-all that is not unreasonable. I always look for a better price when combining orders and always quote the customer. I have flexibility. When I ordered three sets of cables, Hamad showed the same flexibility.

I'll report back when the cables arrive next week and I have a chance to test them. By the way, custom cable orders (like mine) only take a few days to make up.

I hope they sound as great as the service I got from Hamad.

Best, Tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:13 pm 

Experimenting further:

Quote:
They connect a TEAC PD H600 CD player to a NAD C 165BEE preamp. The preamp connects to Emotiva XPA-100 monoblocks with Ultralink Platinum Mark II, cables. The speakers are Axiom M80's and the speaker cables are unterminated 27 foot lengths of standard oxygen free, fine stranded, 10 AWG wire. The speakers are rolled off at 70 Hz and the lowest bass is taken up with a Tannoy 10" subwoofer that is connected with a Take 5 Audio cable. In my opinion, the subwoofer is too small for this duty, but it doesn't know it! The Axioms are big and too close to the corners of the room, but that can not be helped.

Quote:
The Ultralink Platinum Mark II's are also a happy rediscovery. Their sound is rich, and bassy in this system, but there is also lots of detail. This system tends to some sibilance and the Ultralinks mostly cured that. The Amplifier Surgery cables and the Ultralinks seem to be a very musical combination.

I swapped out the Ultralinks for a pair of Lavricable 14 Core Masterlines. While the Ultralinks have a deep bass sound, the Lavricables favour upper bass or lower midrange. They like trombones and saxes. In this system the Lavricables were a better compliment to the Axiom M80's which are also pretty bassy......and there was no return to sibilance. The Ultralinks better complimented another set of speakers that are light on bass.

I really like these Lavricables. To my hearing they are close to and comparable to Morrow MA 4's with bullet plugs, but possibly with a lighter sound. They are very clean and detailed

http://www.lavricables.com/cables/master-full-silver-rca-interconnects/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:41 pm 

Here is a little update. I ordered three sets of cables. Two sets are RCA-RCA, the other being RCA to balanced XLR for a pair of monoblocks I am building. Anyway the cables arrived 6 days after ordering, Arrived from the States by mail (No HST, No duties) I have a bedroom system (Nakamichi MB8 to Marantz 1550 to Mission 753s. I like the sound, nice, smooth, revealing. I was using Nordost White lightnings....I swapped in the 1 foot Amplifier Surgeries......WOW. :shock: MUCH more revealing, spacious and I had to turn down the treble. The mids are amazing. Bass even seems slightly more prominent.

OK, I thought, this must be good old placebo effect. So I swapped out and installed a set of AQ's I had lying around. Nope, the Amp Surgeries are that much nicer. I am an English Speaker kinda guy, liking rich midrange and clean highs. I thought I had a great package with the Nordost.....

I have found my new "best cables"........

And I paid $172.00 all in for three sets!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:38 am 

dcrossle wrote:

Amplifier Surgery cables: They sound really good. I had sent a PM to the OP, and offered to sell them. Now I am not so sure that I want to sell them! They are musical and have lots of bass and detail. In this system they might sacrifice a bit of bass and detail compared to Morrow MA3's, but they are not as bright and are easier to listen too. To me, they are just a tiny bit bright but it might be my system.

This is the best sound that this CD player has ever generated through it's analogue outputs. I have 2 stereos and regard this stereo as the second system. Roy Hargrove's Emergence CD now sounds more musical through this "second system" than it has ever sounded in either system. The brass instruments are especially natural and full sounding.

Conclusion: These Amplifier Surgery cables are very good, especially for the price. I recommend trying at least one pair in a stereo. Different flavours aside, it would be difficult to do better without spending multiples of the Amplifier Surgery prices. These really are a great product and they deserve a positive review.

I absolutely agree. These cables really punch above their weight. Seriously good sounding cables. With shipping, my three cables cost about $60 a pair!! And I agree that they are a bit bright....I just backed off the eq on the treble and bass, and the mids are lush and fulfilling, with "real" sounding highs and lows. When you hear individual string plucks, the decay of the note, the rasp of the sax reed, you know you have great synergy in your system. And that is what I have with these cables.

I am ordering a couple more pairs for my main system....

Best, Tom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:29 am 

Well, I thought I might update on my latest cables from Amplifier surgery. After giving a couple of sets a try, I was frankly surprised and very pleased with the results. So I ordered 5 more sets to completely change-over three of my systems. The latest RCAs connect a pair of Adcom 555s to my Anthem MRX-700. What I had before the cable change was good, detailed but "dry" sounding. The AS cables just opened up the midrange and added a modicum of bass. The sound is just a little fuller. The cables I replaced were Audioquest element Fires. Good but not as good as the AS units. I have officially become a one-cable system user.

Of note, the cables are silver plated OF twisted pair 16 AWG in a high-quality sheath, connected to Mundorf gold connectors and correctly strain relieved with high-quality shrink wrap. A quality piece for sure.

As much as speaker cabling has improved the sound of my systems, I can honestly say that changing the source cabling has given me a much more palpable result. I am really impressed!

4 sets of RCAs cost me $225.00 USD at my door! Good old USPS and it arrived in 3 days, no taxes or duties. That works out to $72.50 per cable at my door. A super deal!!

Last edited by brownslane on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:50 am 

brownslane wrote:
Well, I thought I might update on my latest cables from Amplifier surgery. After giving a couple of sets a try, I was frankly surprised and very pleased with the results. So I ordered 5 more sets to completely change-over three of my systems. The latest RCAs connect a pair of Adcom 555s to my Anthem MRX-700. What I had before the cable change was good, detailed but "dry" sounding. The AS cables just opened up the midrange and added a modicum of bass. The sound is just a little fuller. The cables I replaced were Audioquest element Fires. Good but not as good as the AS units. I have officially become a one-cable system user.

Next step is later this weekend when I re-cable the cottage system (Yamaha DSP-2070- Nak MB8 changer)....

As much as speaker cabling has improved the sound of my systems, I can honestly say that changing the source cabling has given me a much more palpable result.

I am really impressed! Not to mention that 5 sets of RCAs cost me $225.00 USD at my door! Good old USPS and it arrived in 3 days, no taxes or duties.

The best deal in a long while for my systems!

After this review I went and ordered a 1.5M digital coax cable...I have an older Nordost Silver Shadow I'm happy with but I have a bad habit of experimenting with cables :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:19 pm 

ruecatinat wrote:
brownslane wrote:

Next step is later this weekend when I re-cable the cottage system (Yamaha DSP-2070- Nak MB8 changer)....

As much as speaker cabling has improved the sound of my systems, I can honestly say that changing the source cabling has given me a much more palpable result.

I am really impressed! Not to mention that 5 sets of RCAs cost me $225.00 USD at my door! Good old USPS and it arrived in 3 days, no taxes or duties.

The best deal in a long while for my systems!

After this review I went and ordered a 1.5M digital coax cable...I have an older Nordost Silver Shadow I'm happy with but I have a bad habit of experimenting with cables :lol:

It starts with cable experimentation and leads to harder components like speakers and amplifiers be careful man!