Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nuance S100 Subwoofer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 pm 

Does anyone own one of these units? Is it any good?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:37 pm 

Replaced my sb4000 with one...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:34 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
Replaced my sb4000 with one...

Do you like it? Has it been reliable for you? I'm trying to find out more about it, particularly its specs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:43 pm 

dude... gonna just apologize now.

nuance is considered white van crap by many.

a simple google of the brand should have tingled yer spidey senses....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:34 pm 
Premium User

There was never any specs or info for Nuance products provided online, even when they were in business many years ago. Their business model involved some rather shady marketing practices. Nuance was sold strictly in "select" stores who never had any competition so they could made up whatever fake MSRP they wanted, and then offer buyers the deal of a lifetime with a ridiculous discount. Dealers only kept Nuance is a separate room from other products, and would conduct demos of their "revolutionary" technology to unsuspecting consumers by using really good recordings (often mastered with Q sound), but never offering a direct comparison to other speaker brands.

The company finally ceased operation when the owner passed away, but by that point many of the stores that sold their stuff were also out of business (International Stereo) or realized that scamming customers isn't a winning strategy (Soundsaround).

If you can get that some for really cheap, great, but know there little resale value or much hance of getting parts or repairs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:16 am 

Apology accepted and the Nuance is off my list.

Here's my situation..

Lately, I've started loosing access to my main system in the basement as this space is shared with my wife's sewing area and she likes to watch certain shows that I dislike and visa versa. We agree on what to watch most of the time but sometimes it doesnt work. Thats just life. My secondary system is being used by my daughter and her b/f. On to plan C.

I have a pair of PSB Alpha Mites and a Yamaha RX-V1500 that were doing nothing. Since I already have a display, a bluray player and a cable box in that room, I decided to bring up the mites and the AVR and connect into what is currently there. The Mites are good and articulate, far better than the Visio TV speakers so I'm now on the hunt for a used sub. I'm not buying new and I have to keep the purchases local. Luckily for me, there is a guy that Ive puchased speakers from him before, the Mites and C100 center channel. I've narrowed it down to the following 3 subs due to size constraints in where I plan to put it. a) PSB Alpha (8" front ported) , b) Klipsch KSW-10 ( 10" single ported down firing) and c) Athena (8" down firing) sub. These are all more mid woofers than subwoofers but I dont want wall shaking bass in the bedroom. The sub will be located where the lamp is .

Attachments:
bedroom.jpg
bedroom.jpg [ 49.1 KiB | Viewed 646 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:18 am 

I'm looking at an Energy XL-S8 tonight..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am 

With any older sub the amp is more likely the weak spot than the driver (unless it was abused). My brother's TBI Magellan sub just bit the dust - well the amp did. I removed the amp, and helped him configure an outboard amp and he's back up and running.

The Energy should be fine to mix with the Mites (I had Rokks many years ago and loved them).

The other sub I saw in your list that I would consider is the PSB.

Mark in Burlington

Last edited by mcgsxr on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:46 am 

...I got a 10 inch energy hooked-up into my TV set-up...the paradigm cinemas were a little anemic prior...the sum is now far superior to the individual pieces...or how ever that goes... :D

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:50 am 

Not sure of your budget but I would recommend this little box of dynamite. I've owned two of them and they always impress me for their size and clean output. And packing a 1000rms amp doesn't hurt either.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... th-remote/

Turntable: Rega RP1 w/ Rega Fono Mini A2D
CD Player: NAD 517
Speakers: ANK Kit 03 :D
Misc: Auralic Aries Mini, Space Tech ASX 103, TakeFiveAudio power/interconnects