Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:06 pm 

This is about preferences not what is best or better ( there is no best and often better just means it suits your preferences.)

I've had a number of Bryston products ( integrateds, separates ) up to the SST series. In short, while transparency and detail

little to be desired, the sound simply ( especially at lower volumes ) did not have enough tonal density to suit me.

So looking for new integrated ( speakers are PSB Stratus Silver I ) and am considering a Hegel H90. BUT , many of the

reviews make the Hegel sound too much like my previous Bryston experience ( no available dealer anywhere near ) for me to

be comfortable.

I now mostly listen to small scale jazz and classical in a moderately sized room. Simply looking for some body to the music.

What do you think about the Hegel? Restricting my options to SS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:13 pm 
Premium User

My experience is limited to the H80 and H360 but neither one of them sounded like a Bryston.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 pm 

I can get a H80 for a very good price but the H90 is supposed to be smoother and not quite as forward-just what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:26 pm 

Honestly it sounds like you'd be more satisfied with a tube integrated.

Having played with the H90 I can say its nice for sure, and may not be as dry as the B135. But it's no powerhouse and a richer, denser sound can be had via 15 quality tube watts.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Adriankn on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 pm 

I owned a H80 for awhile and have had a ton of Brystons. The H80 was much more laid back than any Bryston I've owned. My friend who sells Hegel says the H90 is much better than the H80 as in more refined with better detail and clarity. I've not heard it myself though so that's still hearsay.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:34 pm 

I think you need to pay this place a visit. They're supposed to be Hegel dealers. If you're in Quebec, it can't be that far.

La Clef de Sol
840, rue Bouvier
Quebec, QC G2J 1A3
info@clefdesol.com
Phone. (418) 627-0840

P.S. I have no affiliation with this place

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 pm 

What is "tonal density"?

I have never heard that term before.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm 

gandalph wrote:
I think you need to pay this place a visit. They're supposed to be Hegel dealers. If you're in Quebec, it can't be that far.

La Clef de Sol
840, rue Bouvier
Quebec, QC G2J 1A3
info@clefdesol.com
Phone. (418) 627-0840

P.S. I have no affiliation with this place

La Clef de Sol closed last summer. The third out of four audio stores that closed in Quebec City. But to be fair, C.d.Sol was mainly a T.V and small-electronics place for a long time that tried to play wanabe high-end a few years ago. Nothing to do with a dedicated audio place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 pm 

PBB wrote:
What is "tonal density"?

I have never heard that term before.

Thanks.

Maybe the loudness button....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 pm 

To my ears Hegel and Bryston are not even close to the same sound. Bryston tends to be transparent and powerful sounding whereas Hegel Seems to have more of a McIntosh qualitty to the sound, Laid back and full sounding at the same time. Bryston can come across as bright and thin, Hegel can be slightly rolled off and have a fatter bottom end. You really need to consider upstream electronics and of course speakers and purchase according to your needs. Maggies & Bryston= Heaven, Hegel & Tannoy = beautiful British synergy. I think PSB would have better synergy with Anthem, Bryston or something similar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:18 am 
Premium User

petersch wrote:
To my ears Hegel and Bryston are not even close to the same sound. Bryston tends to be transparent and powerful sounding whereas Hegel Seems to have more of a McIntosh qualitty to the sound, Laid back and full sounding at the same time. Bryston can come across as bright and thin, Hegel can be slightly rolled off and have a fatter bottom end. You really need to consider upstream electronics and of course speakers and purchase according to your needs. Maggies & Bryston= Heaven, Hegel & Tannoy = beautiful British synergy. I think PSB would have better synergy with Anthem, Bryston or something similar.

Just to clarify, Hegel is Norwegian. I own an H300 which is 250W into 8 ohms. I don't detect a "sound" per se for the amp. I do know that it it doesn't even break a sweat, even when the volume gets cranked a bit. What I do know is that it is very quiet and allows my speakers to do their thing, unimpeded by power limitations. Allows the speakers to reproduce music dynamically and with pace. Distortion is a non-issue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:08 am 

To my ears, Hegel gear still has a bit of a British flair to its "house sound" despite being made elsewhere. Maybe my ears are too used to tube gear?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 am 

"sound density ( especially at lower volumes )"

Well some rely on smokey language OTH science provides answers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher% ... son_curves

Get an old receiver with a loudness button it will cure all ills. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:55 am 

I've had loudness buttons and that's not really what I'm talking about. I guess what I meant by tonal density would be the opposite of thin or dry sounding. It's not really a frequency level thing but the ability of some components ( I'm not really referring to tube products ) to portray the sound of musical instruments ( talking jazz and classical here ) with a full bodied natural sound ( assuming a decent recording.)

It's the kind of sound you might like or others really get into a clean, detailed. immediate , leading edge sharpness sound.
Not a right or wrong here but you have to have some idea of what floats you own boat .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:29 am 

petersch wrote:

This is exactly the difference I have heard from these two great brands. The comment about Mac is true in that the Hegel (or Mac) would be a better choice for those who listen quietly. The Bryston sounds better with a bit of volume - not heard brightness from modern Bryston stuff, but it can be a bit lean if played quietly.

Was listening to a couple of Hegel combos when I was shopping for Proacs and Dynaudios - the Hegel house sound is clean and on the warm side of neutral. Very nice and easy to live with.