Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:29 pm
Posts: 402
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
I have been using Roon with Tidal for about six months and enjoy it very much. I have to confess that I have no idea how to use it to play the Wes Montgomery DSD files I downloaded. I tried JRiver to play the files but do I need it or can I do this in Roon?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:29 pm
Posts: 402
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
operafan wrote:
I have been using Roon with Tidal for about six months and enjoy it very much. I have to confess that I have no idea how to use it to play the Wes Montgomery DSD files I downloaded. I tried JRiver to play the files but do I need it or can I do this in Roon?


I guess I answered my own question because I put one of the tracks in my music folder and Roon is playing it now. I have a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and I still don't know if it is playing native DSD or not, though.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:25 pm
Posts: 41
Location: Vaughan, ON, CA
Roon shows the signal path. If there's any resample/dsp intervention you will see it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:29 pm
Posts: 402
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Alex_San wrote:
Roon shows the signal path. If there's any resample/dsp intervention you will see it.


Thanks. I'm not sure what the reason is but Wes Montgomery sounds better through Roon than it did with JRiver. JRiver gave boomy bass.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:26 am
Posts: 97
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
operafan wrote:
Alex_San wrote:
Roon shows the signal path. If there's any resample/dsp intervention you will see it.


Thanks. I'm not sure what the reason is but Wes Montgomery sounds better through Roon than it did with JRiver. JRiver gave boomy bass.


Any player doing nothing but reading the file and sending it to your DAC shouldn't sound any different than any other player. Maybe JRiver was converting the DSD to something else. My DAC indicates what it is receiving so these unwanted conversion issues are easier to notice and correct.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group