Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 am 

I need help/suggestions to setup the audio sytem for a small bistro-bar. The space is about 20’x20’.

First of all, active or passive?!
Music will be everything but classical and electro. All digital. Some streaming(HD). Some from a computer(.aiff). It’s more a restaurant than a bar, so music will never played extra loud.
Budget is MAX 5000.

Anybody familiar with the new genelec 4000 serie ?!

Thanks for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:01 am 

linussuperstar wrote:
I need help/suggestions to setup the audio sytem for a small bistro-bar. The space is about 20’x20’.

First of all, active or passive?!
Music will be everything but classical and electro. All digital. Some streaming(HD). Some from a computer(.aiff). It’s more a restaurant than a bar, so music will never played extra loud.
Budget is MAX 5000.

Anybody familiar with the new genelec 4000 serie ?!

Thanks for your suggestions.

No experience with Genilac but...

I used to do sound reinforcement - DJ and installations. You can't go wrong with Yorkvile Sound (plus they are Canadian).

They have a line of powered speakers - such as the EXM70 which is 70 watts powered and can be chained together.

Small, flexible, rugged, and affordable. You can buy from Long & McQuade.

Yorkville also sells small passive and powered mixers to tie everything together (powered mixer would be more if you went with passive speakers).

Best of luck...

NO AFFILIATION TO ANY OF THE ABOVE.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:37 am 
Premium User

is the focus on the music or on the food/friends eating the food?

We did our dental offices with yamaha in ceiling speakers, drive them with a Yamaha RN-602 - all done for under $2000 including the spool of OFC wire from Amazon.....

If the music is as important as the food then perhaps Totem in wall speakers, and the appropriate amp/DAC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:06 pm 

There is an immense variety of solutions available, depending on budget and purpose. But, above all, I would put an emphasis on acoustic, which is often ignored. You can put in the best sound system but, if the acoustic isn't right, the music may be annoying and eventually chasing clients away. This is probably where I'd start before getting into equipment. That last part can be achieved for relatively cheap with excellent results.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:40 pm 

whatever gandalph said AND multiple small speakers all over the place. NO hot spots. Nothing more annoying than place where people can't talk...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58 pm 

Agree with multiple small speakers. And a couple of pro amps should be sufficient. Many to choose from. But most important is obtaining a licence to play music. Failing to do so could result in some hefty fines. And yes, the government has scouts looking for those who do not have the proper licence.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:30 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Strategic damping, no bare walls, no bare floors. No hard surfaces that are across from one another. Get rid of the 'hooooommm' type hollow reflections and slap echoes, and..keep the volume low. You can have hard surfaces, and will, just not open stretches of them. That's the bigger issue. To interrupt any hard reflection potential with strategic damping that looks like atmospheric art collages, and whatnot.

Many small speakers, usually 4 for a space like that in size, up high, pointed away from people..and cross matrix-ed, so that it is stereo no matter where you sit. Very doable, I've done it in lots of restaurants and bars,

Also, get a small parametric eq, or eq with about 15+ bands Preferably a 31-33 band. But a parametric eq is best, so you can target the band in question, specifically and also tune it to the situation at hand.. It's so you can notch out the intelligence band of the human voice or anything in that frequency range.

This allows the customers to speak and be heard, but not have to compete with the music for such..even though they can still hear the music.

You will probably never use more than a few watts of power, so just about any reliable stereo amplifier will do.

Internet capacity may be essential, with all the free internet music stations these days.

I'd personally go all analog, due to the high reliability factor. But that is just me, I like back ups for my back ups, and the best way to get there is to start with bullet proof and error free..which means analog. And I don't like calls from bars at 2am on a Saturday, as their system is screwing up...and I have to go in there...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:13 pm 

I don't recall the name of the place but I was in a bistro/bakery with multiple Sonos Play 3 speakers and some acoustic panels hanging from the ceiling, sounded pretty good for what I would imagine the cost would have been.

There's a lot of options for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 pm 

can't help you but maybe inspiration....

Attachments:
PotatoHeadHongKong_Music-Room_2.jpg
PotatoHeadHongKong_Music-Room_2.jpg [ 131.88 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 pm 

libor wrote:

That would be over budget.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:38 pm 

++1 on the acoustics. I know a good many folks -- people who can afford hefty restaurant bills -- who won't go to a spot where they can't have a close or intimate conversation.

It's partly an age thing. As you get older it gets harder to distinguish close sounds from the background noise level. So a reduced background noise level is welcome to older folks and their wallets. But it also makes younger folks comfortable too.

Once the acoustics are in place (and Ken Hotte of Teo audio has provided very valuable suggestions here) then put some careful planning and shopping into the sound equipment. But IMHO the focus should be on the food and the company. Pick gear that sounds good at low level, and is reliable.

P.S. to the OP : you may get a lot of contradictory suggestions here. But kudos for asking. It's all too obvious that many restaurant owners haven't thought of what you have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:06 pm 
Premium User

libor wrote:

Gotta be Japan with JBLs like that?

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:40 pm 

Hong Kong actually....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:12 am 

If you haven’t already you can calculate your restaurant music license fee here. Looks to be under $100 for a year.

http://www.socan.ca/calculator/15A

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:08 am 

Bluesound Powernode2 I would get two of them and run L and R fo 4 feet from corners for in ceiling or directly to corners for corner or on wall.

Materials will likely be less than 3.5k. Easy as pie to stream from and adjust.