Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:47 pm 

Fellow CAM members. It is almost a common thing, you see an item that you would like to purchase on CAM, and you look at the price and you ask yourself a couple of questions. How did they come to this price, and what are they thinking?

Now I'm not talking about units that sell over $1000 as my experience and knowledge doesn't really cross over into the area. I'm talking about the every day items like turntables, DAC, headphones and CD players. I have stop counting the members who decide to sell items at a price that most of the time is either higher than what they purchased or after 3+ years, or they decide they can "flip" it for the same or more money.

I guess few understands that items in the category do not go up in value, nor do they forget the any potential buyer can search in their feedback to get a good idea of what the item cost to them!

I can tell you how every story ends...either they realize that the price they saw on E-bay is a "asking price" or after a period of time (usually 2-3 months) they see for themselves that the market will state the price, not them.

A good example is a recent CAM member selling a turntable. The history is that this TT is about 3 years old, and they are the second owner. They are asking a sell price that is only $50 less than new. So the potential owner will be the third owner of a TT that is 3 years old. And we are not talking about a TT that is special ( small run, unique options). We are talking about a TT that did sell for $449 when new.

Are they emotionally attached to the item, which in their minds add more value? Or are they just living in a different world, hoping to score the ultimate "steal"

I also understand that we live in a free open market, and buyer beware as never applied more than today.

However we both know the answer, can we skip the first 2 months and just get down to a realistic price? Why the dance?

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Teac UD-301/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500; RS2i; GH2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:06 pm 

Just keep reminding yourself the world is 'your' oyster.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:07 pm 

this has been discussed many times.
A seller may price at whatever they choose and a buyer always has the option to skip over the item.
There is always the possibility that the seller has acquired an item at below market value and is under no obligation to pass that along when listing it; This can be one reason why the history could show little difference, or even higher then the ad they bought it from.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 pm 

Don’t get hung up over it. Suggest the price you think is fair, if it doesn’t stick move on, if it does, hooray! The guys who post at high prices with no low baller statements will languish for months unsold. Wait three months then approach them again. Always be respectful and don’t take any of it personally.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:06 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
Just keep reminding yourself the world is 'your' oyster.... :lol:

Funny....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:52 pm 

I have a suggestion, a little market research before you post an item with the correct price would go a long ways to improving this web site.

Stop the emotional attachment and/or the belief that your price is correct. Make sure you do your due dilegence and post the correct price.

Rega Planar 3/Nagaoka MP-11/Technics SL-7/SL-V5/Grado Black/NAD C725BEE/NAD C545BEE/NAD 613/NAD PP2/NAD DAC1/NAD HP20/Teac UD-301/Totem Arro/Technics SL-MC7/Sony MDR-1000X/Grado PS-500; RS2i; GH2/FiiO Q1 II/JDS Element

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:57 pm 

...40% off what you feel it's worth is probably about right... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 pm 
Premium User

Let the market decide...use the auction option...it's worked for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:07 pm 

cdnduck wrote:
I have a suggestion, a little market research before you post an item with the correct price would go a long ways to improving this web site.

Stop the emotional attachment and/or the belief that your price is correct. Make sure you do your due dilegence and post the correct price.

the 'correct price' is the one a buyer and seller agree to. Doesn't mean all buyers are willing to pay it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:52 pm 

What did Pt Barnum say?
I'm just kidding if you know the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:05 pm 

Some points to consider:

* Geographic area
* Time of the year (example: Easter and Christmas, expect to pay 1.5X-2X for good things)
* Current exchange rate to USD
* Current inflation rate
* Demand for certain brands / names (good looks/good reputation)
* Condition (in and out)
* Mileage
* Serviced or not
* Selling skills (good or bad pictures, description, etc)
* Knowing how to handle a prospective buyer
* Knowing where to sell

All these combined can make 4X the price difference, easily

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:04 am 

The Golden Rule:

The one with the gold makes the rules. Doesn't matter what the seller wants, it's up to the buyer to decide what they're going to pay. If the seller would rather try to go to Timmies with a TT to trade it for a coffee they're in for a surprise: they can't trade the TT for a coffee, they only trade their TT for cash and cash can be traded for anything! Sometimes sellers would rather look at stuff until they die rather then sell at market price. No problem, nothing is so rare it can't be bought elsewhere.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:42 am 

Tom_r wrote:
The Golden Rule:

The one with the gold makes the rules. Doesn't matter what the seller wants, it's up to the buyer to decide what they're going to pay. If the seller would rather try to go to Timmies with a TT to trade it for a coffee they're in for a surprise: they can't trade the TT for a coffee, they only trade their TT for cash and cash can be traded for anything! Sometimes sellers would rather look at stuff until they die rather then sell at market price. No problem, nothing is so rare it can't be bought elsewhere.

I agree with this 100%. But "rarity" in audio is often blown-up with uncalled-for credit. When I see ads with "rare on the market" mentionned it makes me chuckle. Rare doesn't mean that it is necessarily great. I mean, a Yorx or LLoyd radio is also rare, and a piece of C#ap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 am 

Groundhog day. Yet one more bleating complaint about pricing. There is about one a week. This topic and the one where "vinyl is dying" makes me laugh.

I suggest you try to get over it. If the price is within your means, and if you want it enough, buy it. If not, move on. Why worry about the the seller's motivations? Your post reminds me of the neighbor on the street (there is always one of them) who complains about the other neighbor's christmas lights.

As already said, the market has its way of leveling the price issue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:28 am 

I have a friend who says that he isn't buying something - he's selling money. And it's just a matter of what it's worth. Love it.