Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Guesses on CD usage ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:39 pm 
Premium User

There has been a very large migration over the last few ( maybe several ) years to " computer audio " using DAC's, servers, blah, blah, blah. There has also been a lot of chatter regarding the rise in analog usage too, yet I am just wondering if I was to hazard a guess as to how many people have just gotten of the ferris wheel ( or never got on for that matter ) and just continue using a reference level CD player. I see a lot of players still out there for sale, so it would appear to me that people are still active in a fairly significant way with CD, or a lot of people are just trying to unload their players. Anyone like to take a stab at guessing the percentages?

OK, I'll go first. Remember this is only MY guess.

Computer Audio / 60%
Analog / 30%
CD player / 10%

Hmmmmmmm, wonder if I can find any hard data on this to see how close I am ? LOL

Who's next :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:50 pm 

Computer Audio (google play only) / ~50%
Analogue / 0% (no hardware)
CD player / ~50%

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 pm 

100% Computer Audio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 pm 
Premium User

Linus1 wrote:
Computer Audio (google play only) / ~50%
Analogue / 0% (no hardware)
CD player / ~50%

Sorry, I meant what percentages are being used on a total network scale, not necessarily what YOU are using.

thanks bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:00 pm 

Digital, via PC, 45%
CD, 25%
Analog, 30%

Also just a guess.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:18 pm 

When my son comes home to visit, he streams 100% from his phone to an "aux in" on the various rigs in the house...
He never plays any of my CD's or Vinyl on his own, although will listen and enjoy if I spin something up.

For me, I have all my CD's ripped to a server in the basement, and for a lot of casual listening, my various squeezeboxes are employed. But I still think my Esoteric player has a slight edge, and if I'm in the mood, I go that route (or, of course, the vinyl!).

I think we're a dying breed, and probably 80% of the world streams, and has no physical media.
Reading that Oppo, who made good sounding, reasonably priced players, has abandoned the market, tells me that physical playback is increasingly becoming a niche market....

Sad, but there it is... Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:21 pm 
Premium User

Woody76 wrote:
Digital, via PC, 45%
CD, 25%
Analog, 30%

Also just a guess.... :lol:

Your numbers look pretty realistic to me Woody, probably closer than mine....
I think there are many more people than I might realize who have just kept their cd players because of all the learning curve involved in getting the best from computer data file music. I am older so I just want something that I don't have to think too much about

-- 22 Apr 2018 20:22 --

dcrooks wrote:
When my son comes home to visit, he streams 100% from his phone to an "aux in" on the various rigs in the house...
He never plays any of my CD's or Vinyl on his own, although will listen and enjoy if I spin something up.

For me, I have all my CD's ripped to a server in the basement, and for a lot of casual listening, my various squeezeboxes are employed. But I still think my Esoteric player has a slight edge, and if I'm in the mood, I go that route (or, of course, the vinyl!).

I think we're a dying breed, and probably 80% of the world streams, and has no physical media.
Reading that Oppo, who made good sounding, reasonably priced players, has abandoned the market, tells me that physical playback is increasingly becoming a niche market....

I agree 100% with your assessment Dave. Millennials are just not into physical data ( allegedly )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:58 am 

Computer Audio / 70%
Analog / 20%
CD player / 10%

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 am 

Analog: 55%

CD: 35%

PC/server: 10%

I love everything about the experience of relationship to/with my records...and the ones anyone wishes to give me... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 am 

What is a 'reference level' CDP? Must one own one of these to participate?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 am 

vinylbrother wrote:
... Sorry, I meant what percentages are being used on a *total network scale, not necessarily what YOU are using...

Were you perhaps thinking of just 'say' CAM Forum Members?
--
If you were referring to everybody that listens to Music 'In general' (*total network scale)...
I would tend to think, that this would greatly change the Numbers (even more so) --
Towards Computer Audio and/or even Cell Phone usage.

Thank-you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 am 

....oh...colour me confused... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 am 

dcrooks wrote:

Totally agree with Dave. For me, I am embracing my CDs and increasing the number on hand. I listen to my CDs every day. I have 5-disc systems in my machine shop and assembly shops. We load-em-up first thing each day and put em on random. Good quality, great sound, no commercials....what could be better?

So, for me, I'd guess 30% digital, 40% CD (cars, shops, home) and 30% vinyl.

Good topic by the way!

This past weekend I went out and bought (at auction) 58 Cds and a really nice tower....for less than 10 cents a song!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:25 am 

Digital = 10%
CD/SACD = 40%
Vinyl = 50%

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:42 am 

brownslane wrote:

This past weekend I went out and bought (at auction) 58 Cds and a really nice tower....for less than 10 cents a song!

...it's the tower that dates you man... :D