Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:03 pm 

I just acquired a Denon DP1000 turntable, and the neon strobe bulb needs replacing. I was thinking I could replace and update with an LED bulb. Is there anyone out there that could direct me in how I go about this??

Thanks all

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:51 pm 

Probably not worth the effort.

Your neon bulb runs at AC power and frequency (60 Hz in North America). An LED runs at a low DC voltage (DC frequency = 0 Hz). So you would need some form of AC-DC power supply for starters.

LED drivers come in various flavours, and many are noisy. In fact you should not use LED lamps on the same line as your audio equipment for best performance.

Assuming you did employ a quiet DC drive for the LED, there may be another issue.

Strobe disks and the lamps that light them are often tuned to the AC line frequency. In a nutshell, the neon bulb is flashing 60 times per minute, which lights the correct strobe lines on the turntable platter. This is not obvious to the human eye as our brains will "hold" a light image for longer than it actually is lit, so we see a continuous light emission. Changing to a constant-lighting lamp like an LED, which will not flash at the required frequency, means the strobe won't work at all.

Buy a replacement neon bulb. They are cheap.

By the way, you have just bought an excellent turntable motor. The Denon AC Direct Drive system is superior to the Matsushita (Technics) DC Direct Drive system. As Denon never licensed the technology (vs Matsushita, who licensed it to everyone) a Denon motor is the only way to obtain this level of performance. Congratulations on a good buy.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:36 am 

It is best to stick with the neon as Johnny said. Tip Top on Century & St Matthews should have one, if not I have several dozen of them. I am not sure if it is a wire lead bulb or has a base though, you would have to take it apart to find out.

Good luck, J