Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:27 pm 

Looking to uprgrade my 2mred - considering 2m blue and Goldwing e3 - opinions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:46 pm 

I'd go for the Goldring E3 personally, but I'm biased as I have a thing for Audio Technica. The generator in the E3 has been used by other brands like Linn, Clearaudio, Rega among others. They must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:20 pm 

Do you like the 2M Red? If not you will hate the Blue. The Blue is a nude elliptical and has a upper mid and lower treble that is emphasized versus the Red. The Red is more balanced but less refined. The Blue is not bright but if your system is already a bit bright or lean, I would avoid it. The Blue is great on a system that is bit dark sounding. I like and own both the Red and Blue.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:41 pm 

I dislike the Red. One thing it did good, though, was rock music. But if you're not a fan of harsh sibilance and inner groove distortion, I'd opt for the Blue over the Red. Dramatic improvement. I didn't find it too much in the high end. I used one on a Debut Carbon and I use a Bronze on my Rega. I have a Goldring E3, and thought it was decent. Much like the 95E. I'd compare the E3 to the Red, more so than the Blue. I know it's the top of the E lineup, and the Red is the beginning of the 2M. But, Ortofon has established itself as a great manufacturer and since they pump out so many 2M carts, and they generally use the same body and stylus (in the manufacturing proces - I know Bronze / Black use better innards). The E3 is still a good sounding cartridge from the little use I've given mine.

It's a tough call. But, I'd spend the little extra coin and go for a 2M Blue or Bronze and skip the E3. Or, save yourself some cash and get an Audio Technica 95E. I read somewhere that one thing the E3 does better than the 95E is that the threaded screws are easy to work with and give better coupling to the headshell than the plastics on the 95E. The E3 has threaded screw holes made of metal inside of the plastic body.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:50 pm 

What about this one?
Audio-Technica AT-120E/T Cartridge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:17 pm 

aintnosin wrote:
What about this one?
Audio-Technica AT-120E/T Cartridge

An excellent choice, and easily upgraded with a better stylus.
Between the Ortofon and the Goldring, I would choose the Goldring.
Full disclosure ... I am no fan of the 2M Red either.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:35 pm 

I use the At100, 120e and 440 MLa. They are all good sounding. The only caveat with the 120e is that it can sound a bit thin on strings for classical (if you listen to strings). It is good otherwise. There are a couple of versions of the 120e. I have the orange body with the nude elliptical tip. There is also a purple body with a less expensive non nude tip but it is still a very decent cartridge.

Goldring makes a decent cartridge but I actually do not own the higher end series just an el cheapo Elan which is a similar to the Red ED.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:45 pm 

the cartridge bodies for the red and the blue are the same. All you need is a blue stylus and replace the red with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:13 pm 

therealco wrote:
I dislike the Red. One thing it did good, though, was rock music. But if you're not a fan of harsh sibilance and inner groove distortion, I'd opt for the Blue over the Red. Dramatic improvement. I didn't find it too much in the high end. I used one on a Debut Carbon and I use a Bronze on my Rega. I have a Goldring E3, and thought it was decent. Much like the 95E. I'd compare the E3 to the Red, more so than the Blue. I know it's the top of the E lineup, and the Red is the beginning of the 2M. But, Ortofon has established itself as a great manufacturer and since they pump out so many 2M carts, and they generally use the same body and stylus (in the manufacturing proces - I know Bronze / Black use better innards). The E3 is still a good sounding cartridge from the little use I've given mine.

It's a tough call. But, I'd spend the little extra coin and go for a 2M Blue or Bronze and skip the E3. Or, save yourself some cash and get an Audio Technica 95E. I read somewhere that one thing the E3 does better than the 95E is that the threaded screws are easy to work with and give better coupling to the headshell than the plastics on the 95E. The E3 has threaded screw holes made of metal inside of the plastic body.

This is probably good advice. I haven't heard the E3 but I'd assume that it has a better stylus than the stock 95E, which IME is not that great for an AT product. But, there are far better needles available as replacements, ranging from HE, Shibata to the fine line Paratrace. One can even take the 95 further by replacing the plastic mount with a wood or metal one, which is fairly easy to do thanks to the screw that holds the generator to the mount.

Either way, the Audio Technica and Ortofon brands have a quite similar house sound, so moving either way from a 2MRed is bound to satisfy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 am 

I decided to go with the 2m blue stylus - considering I have the 2m red it is an easy swap - with no alignment required. Plus a cost effective option as I found one for $179
https://www.amazon.ca/Ortofon-Diamants-Stylus-2M-Blue/dp/B000WMAOE8?tag=canuckca-20" target="_blank">https://www.amazon.ca/Ortofon-Diamants- ... B000WMAOE8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm 

Good show. If you like the Red I can't see why you wouldn't be happier with the Blue.

Let us know how it sounds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:35 am 

How's that 2m blue working out? Any surprises?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:54 pm 

JoZep1985 wrote:
How's that 2m blue working out? Any surprises?

Very pleased! Much more refined and detailed withoiout being excessivelyy bright. Much less fatiguing to listen to with better separation.Low volume performance is significantly better. Really notice the difference on horns and the cymbals - worthy upgrade!