Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Record Day Coming
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:04 am 

Hi,

Going to the UK soon? Here are some recommended record stores. And don't miss 'Orange Monkey' in Brighton!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... WEML6619I2

Cheers,
David Neice

Post subject: Re: Record Day Coming
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:56 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Going to the UK soon? Here are some recommended record stores. And don't miss 'Orange Monkey' in Brighton!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... WEML6619I2

Cheers,
David Neice

I've been to the UK a few times and always come back with much more music than I intended. I was rummaging through a bunch of records at a car boot sale when the owner took the records from me and asked if I was staying near Soho.
When I told him where I was staying all he said was follow these directions and he had a much better selection at his store. If he wasn't there I could wait for him at the pub across the street.
The next day I headed for Soho. He wasn't at his store so I headed over to the pub. I had three pints and was about to leave when the gentleman walked in.
We shook hands hands and walked across the street. To get to his store you had to walk down a narrow alley and down four flights of stairs.
It was a large, cold, slightly damp feeling building and every inch was filled with LP's.
There was no discernible order to anything.
I asked if he had any British blues. He had them all, autographed John Mayall albums, first edition Rolling Stones,The Animals and on and on.
I lost track of time and went I finally decided to go it was dark out. I had been there at least 6 hours probably more.
When it came time to settle up I was in for about 250 quid. The gentlemen asked if I'd be paying cash because he didn't take cards of any kind.
I started to count out the money and when I reached 150 he said that's good enough because he was including the "Friendly Canadian discount".
As I headed for the door I thanked him and said "Perhaps I'll see you next year".
He replied "Bloody unlikely son unless your health is banjaxed too".
That was almost ten years ago.
Now, when I'm there I haunt car boot sales and small record shows. I usually start by scouring the latest edition of Record Collector and pick up a few leads as I go.
If I strike out there's usually a pub with a good pint nearby to ease the disappointment.
London is a great city but a little overwhelming for a hillbilly like me though. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:49 am 

Hi,

Note to mahatma1 and others.

Really nothing like scouring the record stores in the UK. I specialize in Brighton area shops. There are about ten of them (or were). Collectors in the UK really dive deep. I walked into Orange Monkey the first time about five years ago and he was playing a CD of Gene Clark's (in)famous solo (post Byrds) album, 'No Other', one of my all-time favourites. I said right away, Gene Clark, and he said 'I don't think it has ever been bettered', and I agreed and that was it. He sent me around to some other shops I never would have found, and we even went off to a boot sale in Tunbridge. At one of the other shops the owner regaled me for two hours about Gene Clark and asked me to have a pint with him.

Bristol is also record shop heaven. Both Bristol and Brighton are club centered cities. They are really plugged into trends and artists. They put me onto Eva Cassidy over twenty years ago. But for those who have read 'High Fidelity' it really is true that the owners are sizing you up by your selections. The vaults they have are quite deep and turn-over is high and condition is often quite good because in the UK they tend to value 'preservation' of material items. Highly recommended.

You can also buy good used UK built speakers for much less than here and can then ship them back to yourself and it will help underwriite your trip.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:11 pm 
Premium User

buybye88 wrote:
Bristol is also record shop heaven. Both Bristol and Brighton are club centered cities. They are really plugged into trends and artists. They put me onto Eva Cassidy over twenty years ago. But for those who have read 'High Fidelity' it really is true that the owners are sizing you up by your selections. The vaults they have are quite deep and turn-over is high and condition is often quite good because in the UK they tend to value 'preservation' of material items. Highly recommended.

You can also buy good used UK built speakers for much less than here and can then ship them back to yourself and it will help underwriite your trip.

Cheers,
David Neice

I have to agree with you on condition. I purchased 8 Bill Evans lps from England and every one of them was M/M with those beautiful glossy laminated covers like they'd just come from the shrink wrap. 8 pounds each :D

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 pm 
Premium User

Almost any record store I've gone into in London was a treasure trove of stuff we never see here. Since I like early 80's post punk I was like a kid in a candy store. Ironically, the only truly disappointing store I've been to is Rough Trade, the most famous of them all. Very poor used section, probably because it gets picked over.