Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Forum rules


The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:04 am
Posts: 341
Location: St. John's, NL, CA
Suggest budget (< $200 tax in, max) 24" (height) stand mount speaker stand please ?

Lots out there, and prices quickly escalate. Curious if CAM'ers have had good experiences with cheaper stands. Any "not so common" hidden gems ?

I am seeking to mount B&W DM601 S3. I like the low profile (24", even 23")

Thank you :P


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:03 pm 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:21 am
Posts: 123
Location: London, ON, CA
This is the best speaker stand that I have found in that height and price range in Canada. They are readily available online with free shipping. Link provided below.

https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/sp ... ands/sf26/

Michael,
PC audio,
http://www.pcaudio.ca

_________________
PC audio


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:00 pm
Posts: 3224
Location: Rio Rancho, NM, US
New: Atacama or Pangea Audio.

Used: I can't remember the brand name or the model but when I do I'll post here again. It was a 24" four-pillar stand very similar to the Target R4 but bolted together instead of one-piece welded. Great value but perhaps problematic finding on the used market.

I'll be back...

_________________
I think, therefore I am not sure.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:16 pm 
Online
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 4324
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
B&W STAV24 S2

Best budget stand I've encountered so far.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 am
Posts: 1265
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
Apollo used to make stands that cost under $200. Not sure what the current prices are.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:59 am
Posts: 2806
Location: Dundas, ON, CA
hifijones wrote:
...Used: I can't remember the brand name or the model but when I do I'll post here again. It was a 24" four-pillar stand very similar to the Target R4 but bolted together instead of one-piece welded. Great value but perhaps problematic finding on the used market.

I'll be back...


If i'm reading hifijones' brain waves correctly, I think he is referencing the Atlantis Reference stands. while they were cheaper than the Target 4 posts, they were still spendy at $400-500 + tax when new. I happen to have a spare 24" pair but I'd want more than $200 for 'em. Current day equivalents from Sound Anchor or Foundation are huge money.

_________________
"Live fast. Ride hard... and have a good looking bike!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am
Posts: 205
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
I had great luck posting a "wanted" ad for speaker stands in my area. There are loads out there that folks don't necessarily bother to post. Something to consider if you haven't already (and, of course, if you're alright with used stuff).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:00 pm
Posts: 3224
Location: Rio Rancho, NM, US
MTB Vince wrote:
hifijones wrote:
...Used: I can't remember the brand name or the model but when I do I'll post here again. It was a 24" four-pillar stand very similar to the Target R4 but bolted together instead of one-piece welded. Great value but perhaps problematic finding on the used market.

I'll be back...


If i'm reading hifijones' brain waves correctly, I think he is referencing the Atlantis Reference stands. while they were cheaper than the Target 4 posts, they were still spendy at $400-500 + tax when new. I happen to have a spare 24" pair but I'd want more than $200 for 'em. Current day equivalents from Sound Anchor or Foundation are huge money.


Although I'm familiar with the Atlantis stands you're referring to they aren't the ones that I'm alluding to. The Atlantis stands had a high-end pedigree with a price to match. After racking my brain and with a little help from Google I finally figured out who made them. The model was the Studio Tech SC24 as seen in the pic below.
MSRP was $150.00/pr.
Attachment:
product_290287.jpg
product_290287.jpg [ 3.63 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]


Studio Tech was a manufacturer of budget A/V furniture, speaker stands and misc. related items. Their website shows that they primarily sell A/V credenzas now. The 3-pillar Atlantis Signature stands in the link below are a stonkin' bargain. It's too bad that shipping to Canada would be quite a bit more than the quoted $30.00 flat fee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlantis-Signa ... Swkbpa1RSi

_________________
I think, therefore I am not sure.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:07 am
Posts: 48
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Quote:
...The 3-pillar Atlantis Signature stands in the link below are a stonkin' bargain. It's too bad that shipping to Canada would be quite a bit more than the quoted $30.00 flat fee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlantis-Signa ... Swkbpa1RSi


Among a few sets of stands I own I have a pair or these in grey (or gray for hifijones :) ) and sand-filled. Rock-solid and very heavy. That's a great price!

If you were planning a road trip to Montreal (or know someone coming from there) these would be perfect: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649429082-bampw-24-inch-speaker-standsblack/

However, much closer to home are these: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/st-johns/plateau-speaker-stands/1339638612?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

At 30" they're over your height requirement but maybe they can be cut down? You could always use them temporarily (possibly putting your speakers upside down to bring the tweeter closer to your target height).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 2:40 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
bumping up a 10 day old thread.. At the recommendation of James_W, I bought a pair of the B&W STAV24. Found them locally, $190 + tax. They seem pretty well made, solid and easily filled with sand. They came with both floor and speaker spikes (although I'm using neither - opted for the included rubber feet and some blutak to hold the speakers in place - dog running around, and all..).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:30 pm
Posts: 438
Location: Regina, SK, CA
unxetas wrote:
bumping up a 10 day old thread.. At the recommendation of James_W, I bought a pair of the B&W STAV24. Found them locally, $190 + tax. They seem pretty well made, solid and easily filled with sand. They came with both floor and speaker spikes (although I'm using neither - opted for the included rubber feet and some blutak to hold the speakers in place - dog running around, and all..).


I recall a past thread mentioned using aquarium gravel as it is coated. No dust.

_________________
Vintage has a place.....mostly in my basement.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 2:40 pm
Posts: 4
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
That would have been a good idea. I've read about people using all sorts of things.. I went to home depot and found a bag of play sand. $6.54, I believe.. It was incredibly heavy but thankfully something had poked a hole through my bag - it got lighter as I went AND got me a discount at the checkout! The remaining sand was mine for $5. Bargain..

Turned out each vertical beam on the STAV24's took about 6 cups of sand to get about 2/3 full. I have lots of sand left if anyone in PoCo needs any hahaha.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:49 am
Posts: 691
Location: ., AB, CA
unxetas wrote:
bumping up a 10 day old thread.. At the recommendation of James_W, I bought a pair of the B&W STAV24. Found them locally, $190 + tax. They seem pretty well made, solid and easily filled with sand. They came with both floor and speaker spikes (although I'm using neither - opted for the included rubber feet and some blutak to hold the speakers in place - dog running around, and all..).


Good to hear!! - I had been looking to see where the B&W's James recommended could be found and could only really come up with Best Buy in the USA listed for 150 usd - where did you get them if you don't mind me asking??
jp


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:14 am 
Online
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm
Posts: 4324
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
Most Bowers and Wilkins dealers should have them.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:49 am
Posts: 691
Location: ., AB, CA
I guess that would make a lot of sense........... :oops:
thanks
jp


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group