Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: B&W 705 S2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:24 pm 

Does anyone have these ? Nice review in the Absolute Sound but I’m really not that trusting in these magazine reviews. I would rather hear from someone who owns these.I love the look of them . That tweeter on top looks like a microphone. Nice touch.Thanks for your input.

Post subject: Re: B&W 705 S2
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:15 pm 

I owned the previous 700 series (the 704 floor stander) and have owed many other B&Ws. I heard the 705s2 at TAVES and absolutely loved them. They are vastly better than the older 705s which were a very decent bookshelf model. To my ears, the 705s2 sounds closer to the Nautilus 805 that I owned than the original 705.

That said, B&Ws need quality sources, electronics and cabling so that part needs to be well thought out. Also, B&Ws do prefer to be played a bit louder. This is really true of the 800 series but even the 700s sound better with a bit of volume. If you typically listen quietly, they will sound lean (but generally well balanced).

IMO, B&W hit it out of the park with these.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:20 pm 

Good to know,Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:33 pm 

Curious as to what other stand mounts have you considered?

I'll be looking at the 705s2 soon as well to replace my aging 805 Matrix. In the running for me is the Totem Signature One, the Dynaudio 40 Special or maybe PMC .22 though the last two are more expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:40 pm 

If Dynaudio ever gives the special forty a nice black Matt finish I would already own them . Heard them and love them except that Christmas red or weathered lumber look. I know it’s only looks but I need to live with them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 pm 

ScanSpeak wrote:

I'll be looking at the 705s2 soon as well to replace my 805 Matrix. In the running for me is the Totem Signature One, the Dynaudio 40 Special or maybe PMC .22 though the last two are more expensive.

The mighty Matrix 805 was the best bookshelf B&W to my ears. Why sell those? They were much warmer and better sounding than the N805 to my ears. Also those were made in the UK. The new 705s2 is made in China. The quality of the new 700 series looks a lot better than the rather cheap looking 600 or CM series but nowhere near the Matrix series or the old 700s. My 704s had beautiful Danish cabinets and the speakers were built in the UK.

I would think the Dynaudio 40 would be a nice upgrade and more in keeping with the reference quality monitor you plan to replace. I have not heard the 40 but been listening to a lot of the Dynaudio range lately and not heard a dud yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:49 pm 
Premium User

The 705 S2 didn't blow me away at the store but it's a step forward from the CM S2 series. Nice looking speaker in person compared to pics and the sound is refined. The 805 D3's are nice sounding too.

Last edited by James_W on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:06 pm 

banerjba wrote:

The mighty Matrix 805 was the best bookshelf B&W to my ears. Why sell those? They were much warmer and better sounding than the N805 to my ears. Also those were made in the UK. The new 705s2 is made in China. The quality of the new 700 series looks a lot better than the rather cheap looking 600 or CM series but nowhere near the Matrix series or the old 700s.

Damn you banerjba. Every time I think of upgrading on the the less expensive end of the scale a poster like you comes along to confirm my suspicions. I agree with everything you said.

I am very interested in the Dynaudio's though and will give them a listen when I can slide the extra cost into my budget.

Thx

-- 24 Mar 2018 21:10 --

Gerhard Roemer wrote:
Christmas red or weathered lumber look.

Too funny but I think the Grey Birch looks incredible.

Last edited by ScanSpeak on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:10 pm 

ScanSpeak wrote:
banerjba wrote:

The mighty Matrix 805 was the best bookshelf B&W to my ears. Why sell those? They were much warmer and better sounding than the N805 to my ears. Also those were made in the UK. The new 705s2 is made in China. The quality of the new 700 series looks a lot better than the rather cheap looking 600 or CM series but nowhere near the Matrix series or the old 700s.

Damn you banerjba. Every time I think of upgrading on the the less expensive end of the scale a poster like you comes along to confirm my suspicions. I agree with everything you said.

I am very interested in the Dynaudio's though and will give them a listen when I can slide the cost into my budget.

Thx

:D Excellent, my work here is done....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:58 pm 
Premium User

James_W wrote:
The 705 S2 didn't blow me away at the store but it's a step forward from the CM S2 series. Nice looking speaker in person compared to pics and the sound is refined. The 805 D3's are nice sounding too.

Some feedback for future readers. I've spent 5 days with the 705 S2 and absolutely love them (I'm surprising myself even saying it.) I haven't liked B&W products like this since 2003. The carbon tweeter is so neutral sounding compared to the standard aluminum dome. The continuum driver adds depth I never experienced with previous B&W speakers and that includes my 802 D2 and 802 N. They are brilliant speakers with good recordings but suffer with lower quality stuff, that's the real downside. Bass can be weak but it is very articulate. Not recommended for Hip-Hop music. With that said, the strengths outweigh any shortcomings.

IMHO there is no comparison to the previous 700 and CM speakers. Very exciting listening and a breath of fresh air from Bowers and Wilkins, they don't feel like the same old thing. Well worth trying in home as they didn't do it for me when I demoed in store on Moon gear. Another strong contender for bookshelf speakers in the $3k to $5k range.

Just a side note. From my limited listening this week the 606's are very impressive at the $999 price point. A little bright at times but they follow suit with all of the great affordable loudspeakers available today. Excellent with live music. Listeners with a $1k spending limit should put them on the audition list.

Attachments:
20181205_225423.jpg
20181205_225423.jpg [ 114.85 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 am 

banerjba wrote:
I owned the previous 700 series (the 704 floor stander) and have owed many other B&Ws. I heard the 705s2 at TAVES and absolutely loved them. They are vastly better than the older 705s which were a very decent bookshelf model. To my ears, the 705s2 sounds closer to the Nautilus 805 that I owned than the original 705.

That said, B&Ws need quality sources, electronics and cabling so that part needs to be well thought out. Also, B&Ws do prefer to be played a bit louder. This is really true of the 800 series but even the 700s sound better with a bit of volume. If you typically listen quietly, they will sound lean (but generally well balanced).

IMO, B&W hit it out of the park with these.

B&W has a few interesting models now

-- 06 Dec 2018 07:32 --

banerjba wrote:
ScanSpeak wrote:

I'll be looking at the 705s2 soon as well to replace my 805 Matrix. In the running for me is the Totem Signature One, the Dynaudio 40 Special or maybe PMC .22 though the last two are more expensive.

The mighty Matrix 805 was the best bookshelf B&W to my ears. Why sell those? They were much warmer and better sounding than the N805 to my ears. Also those were made in the UK. The new 705s2 is made in China. The quality of the new 700 series looks a lot better than the rather cheap looking 600 or CM series but nowhere near the Matrix series or the old 700s. My 704s had beautiful Danish cabinets and the speakers were built in the UK.

I would think the Dynaudio 40 would be a nice upgrade and more in keeping with the reference quality monitor you plan to replace. I have not heard the 40 but been listening to a lot of the Dynaudio range lately and not heard a dud yet.

+1 on Matrix 805

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 am 

Looking into the 705 s2 tweeter, B&W says that its an aluminum tweeter
is carbon re inforced in order to make it stiffer.

Turns out that the impedance of the 705 s2 drops down to 3.7 ohms.
So these would need a reasonably hefty amp, to bring out the best in them.

I've tried numerous amps with all bi polar transistors with B&W's.
Some of the less transparent ones were OK.

However, I've found that amps with jFET's on the front end
and MOSFET's on the output, are a fabulous combination with B&W
if they have enough poop.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 am 

Gerhard Roemer wrote:
Does anyone have these ? Nice review in the Absolute Sound but I’m really not that trusting in these magazine reviews. I would rather hear from someone who owns these.I love the look of them . That tweeter on top looks like a microphone. Nice touch.Thanks for your input.

In my view they're up there with the best stand mounts at any price. What you get is very low distortion / high resolution and excellent imaging. They are slightly on the bright side but the treble is so clean that it's not objectionable unless the recording itself is very bright. Bass is surprisingly extended and dynamic too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 am 
Premium User

adamrivera wrote:
In my view they're up there with the best stand mounts at any price. What you get is very low distortion / high resolution and excellent imaging. They are slightly on the bright side but the treble is so clean that it's not objectionable unless the recording itself is very bright. Bass is surprisingly extended and dynamic too.

I was using almost the same words to explain them to a friend. When the speakers are playing favorable material the mids and highs are up there with any great speaker I've had in my room over the years, at any price. The 702 S2's gave me the final push to buy 805 D3's, something I had been considering for almost 2 years. I find the carbon tweeter more forgiving than the diamond and the 705 S2's are more gear friendly. They should be easier to integrate with most systems. B&W kept the crossover design minimal (pic below.)

Attachments:
2017-9_BW_705S2-X-Over.jpg
2017-9_BW_705S2-X-Over.jpg [ 114.74 KiB | Viewed 302 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:22 pm 

James - I recently viewed your Gallery - Wow !

Those Pass Labs amps you have are probably a fabulous match to B&W's.
(they have jFET's in the front end and MOSFET's on the output stage)

Dread the thought of me even mentioning boutique components.
However, since B&W replaced "Bennic" Caps and Resistors, in their original Nautilus series,
with Mundorf Silver Gold Oil Caps and Caddock (?) resistors,
its kind of an admission they believe the upgrade of these components
made an improvement.