Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:47 am 

Hello,

I can buy an Sony CDP-X333ES or an CDP-X555ES. Which one would you prefer? And why?
Thank you for your reply's/advice.

Best, Jan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:20 am 

What is the price of each? How old are they both? What condition are they both in? Is one of them owned by a smoker? Do both come with their remote controls?
Lots of things to consider, since you really can't go wrong with either of them ... assuming they both work and are in nice shape, with no tobacco residue in them.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 am 

y a oppo and you will be happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 am 

I wondered how long it would take before someone would give a totally irrelevant answer to the OP's question.
"What would you like for dinner tonight, chicken or fish?" ... "I think I will get the oil changed in the car." :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 am 

Big problem with older players is availability of spare parts. Sony is particularly bad about keeping parts for older players in stock, which means it's luck of the draw on the used market. . .

Laser pick-ups will eventually fail; sled and spindle motors, too, though, not as likely.

I'd be inclined to go for an Oppo, as one poster has already suggested, and not just because I have one for sale! A lot more functionality there, too, than the old players (USB inputs, etc.), and you can play pretty much any type of disc you like.

You can even upgrade them with linear power supplies, but that's another story.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:49 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
I wondered how long it would take before someone would give a totally irrelevant answer to the OP's question.
"What would you like for dinner tonight, chicken or fish?" ... "I think I will get the oil changed in the car." :lol:

I don't think that answer was irrelevant - he's still suggesting a cd transport. As always I am puzzled when an op asks us to choose between only 2 options. How the field is narrowed (and whether it should be) is rarely made clear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:06 am 

never had one of these...but some folks say the 333 has better sound?! But maybe better to get like CDP-X777ES, CDP-X779ES or CDP-X707ES ...if you into Sony sound...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:11 am 

hollinger wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

I don't think that answer was irrelevant - he's still suggesting a cd transport. As always I am puzzled when an op asks us to choose between only 2 options. How the field is narrowed (and whether it should be) is rarely made clear.

Ever hear of thread drift? Respect for the OP should be evident in your response. He does not need to justify his topic to you or anyone.

A while ago I asked a specific question about an amp I was restoring. Instead of any responses germain to the topic, all I got was "don't bother with that amp, I know of a better one for around $2,000"....and such. I contacted the mods and had the thread removed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:30 am 

I had the 333 a long time ago. A great machine but so much has changed I can't really comment on sound other than I was pleased with it at the time.
As others have said, reliability given it's age is the question. I wouldn't pay a lot because of that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:06 pm 

hollinger wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

Given that the OP is asking about two very specific models, I expect that they are available locally on the used market.
Note that he is in the Netherlands ... and nowhere does the OP say that he is using it as a transport.

As for OPPO, I have three of them, a DV-980H, a BDP-83 and a BDP-103D ... and neither of them are particularly good CD players.
They aren't bad, but I have a Sony CDP-990 (about the same time period as the two in the OP) and it sounds better than either OPPO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:24 pm 

Quadzilla wrote:
As for OPPO, I have three of them, a DV-980H, a BDP-83 and a BDP-103D ... and neither of them are particularly good CD players.
They aren't bad, but I have a Sony CDP-990 (about the same time period as the two in the OP) and it sounds better than either OPPO.

A few years ago I bought a DV-980H to mod since it was generating quite a lot of buzz on the AudioCircle DIY forum.

Even after being heavily tweaked (this was back in the days when you could still get your hands on BlackGate capacitors), it was easily beaten by the Sony S9000ES.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

A few years ago I bought a DV-980H to mod since it was generating quite a lot of buzz on the AudioCircle DIY forum.

Even after being heavily tweaked (this was back in the days when you could still get your hands on BlackGate capacitors), it was easily beaten by the Sony S9000ES.

None of mine have been modified, but neither of them sound as good as my (also unmodded) Sony DVP-NS3100ES DVD/SACD players.

OPPO gets a lot of hype, but I am not sure that these accolades are warranted. They are reliable players and they play a lot of disk formats, but I don't think they do anything really really well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
Big problem with older players is availability of spare parts. Sony is particularly bad about keeping parts for older players in stock, which means it's luck of the draw on the used market. . .

Laser pick-ups will eventually fail; sled and spindle motors, too, though, not as likely.

I'd be inclined to go for an Oppo, as one poster has already suggested, and not just because I have one for sale! A lot more functionality there, too, than the old players (USB inputs, etc.), and you can play pretty much any type of disc you like.

You can even upgrade them with linear power supplies, but that's another story.

and a friend of mine add 2 es player, one was $2500 and the other $2000 both fail within 3 years.
and he did not used it more the 6 hours a week at most.
I run my oppo a good 20 hours a week for the last 4.5 years. no problem,
he is now running the same oppo 103D for the last 2 year . him also without a glitch.
and yes it is relevant.
and the oppo is better sounding

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 pm 

Both CDP have the same transport and d/a converter but the
CDP-X555ES has a bit more sophisticated power supply and analog filter.

It would be my choice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:00 pm 

zon001 wrote:
... and a friend of mine add 2 es player, one was $2500 and the other $2000 both fail within 3 years.

If that is true, then they should have been under warranty. :roll:

-- 20 Mar 2018 21:06 --

zon001 wrote:
... and yes it is relevant.

It would be up to the OP to decide that. 8)