Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm 

Hi. Does anyone know what the going market value is for a clean working M90?

I see on eBay there are three in Russia and asking $5000 us to $6000 US dollars. Obo Seems pricey.

But the only other ones I've seen on there are junkers that have sold for about $1,200 us. I've looked online but really can't find much for records of sales for good condition ones recently anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:02 pm 

$1,000 to $2,000 sounds about right. I am a vintage boombox guy. These are beauties but I prefer the M80 or one of the giant Aiwa or Sharp models.

That said the better sounding ones came in the late 1980s - they had the Active Hyperbass which sounded a lot fuller. The Kaboom was a great one as well from the late 1990s, although none have the classic M90 style.

I have about 10 boom boxes, 4 of which are JVCs but no holly grails.

These are expensive to service, assuming you can find parts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:30 pm 

is there still a demand?

sold my 90 for 700 a while back and my 55 went for 150

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
is there still a demand?

sold my 90 for 700 a while back and my 55 went for 150

There is but at above $1000 they need to be in great shape and fully operational.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:25 pm 

Good to know, but hard to believe those values. I have the RC M70 -- the not-so-little brother to the RC M90. Still works as good as when it was new in 1982.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:26 pm 

Hifishark.

Check their sold listings and see what they are going for.

I sold a fully functional unit in pretty good shape for a grand last year. It took all of two days to sell it...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:53 pm 

what people pay for nostalgia....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:13 pm 

Thanks for all the input people!☺

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 am 

Hi
When I was a teenager I used to own the Sharp GF777 ,the holy grail of ghetto blasters .That was 1984 Athens-Greece .What a nice big lovely music machine it was !! Great memories. As far I know it's somewhere in my brother's home. But a while back I tried to buy one of ebay and the prices were crazy :shock: .
George

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:47 am 

...just a heads up to the enlightened..."Ghettoblaster" is akin to "Reserve Burger"...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:28 am 

Yiorgos wrote:
Hi
When I was a teenager I used to own the Sharp GF777 ,the holy grail of ghetto blasters .That was 1984 Athens-Greece .What a nice big lovely music machine it was !! Great memories. As far I know it's somewhere in my brother's home. But a while back I tried to buy one of ebay and the prices were crazy :shock: .
George

Wow! Holy grail for sure. One of my favourites!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 am 

banerjba wrote:
Yiorgos wrote:
Hi
George

Yes !!! I am happy to see you like too. There is a story behind this ghetto blaster. Back then (early to mid 80s) my dad used to rent the upper two apartments on second and third floor of the building. We (my dad) registered the availability to rent with the American Forces (American NATO base ) that was 20Km away from our home.The reason was that we guaranteed rent from the US Army that needed homes for their stationed soldiers in the base.
Once every 2-3 years new soldiers came to replace others ,the rent income was secure and steady. A lot of soldiers were going to Germany (bigger bases in Europe) to train and back again,they had this catalog that was called something like if I remember correctly (AAFES). That catalog was twice thicker than the Sears catalog and had all kinds of household products and stereo equipment at discounted prices ONLY for US Army persons. The soldiers would ask us if we wanted to buy something out of this catalog in exchange for rental money so that is how the Sharp GF777 was bought from Germany brand spanking new when it was first appeared in the catalog, along with this Sharp , we bought other interesting audio equipment back then .This is how I got into the audio hobby actually. What great times !!!!!!! I remember DBX units ,Pioneer turntable ,Kenwood receiver (the Galaxy Commander) Infinity speakers e.t.c
Thanks
George

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:34 pm 

Wow, I cannot believe there is a market for these. I really never went looking though. I have had one since it was new and never got rid
of it because it has a (my opinion) very good tuner section for the times I was in a radio/headphone mood. It also has a phono input
which actually got some use many years ago. I think I still have the wired remote for it wound up somewhere, someplace....
Fun topic.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:40 pm 

Guess I shouldn't have chucked my M90 into the dump back in the day! :lol: They were expensive new, I paid around $600.00 IIRC.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:08 pm 

Yiorgos wrote:
banerjba wrote:
Yiorgos wrote:
Hi
George

Yes !!! I am happy to see you like too. There is a story behind this ghetto blaster. Back then (early to mid 80s) my dad used to rent the upper two apartments on second and third floor of the building. We (my dad) registered the availability to rent with the American Forces (American NATO base ) that was 20Km away from our home.The reason was that we guaranteed rent from the US Army that needed homes for their stationed soldiers in the base.
Once every 2-3 years new soldiers came to replace others ,the rent income was secure and steady. A lot of soldiers were going to Germany (bigger bases in Europe) to train and back again,they had this catalog that was called something like if I remember correctly (AAFES). That catalog was twice thicker than the Sears catalog and had all kinds of household products and stereo equipment at discounted prices ONLY for US Army persons. The soldiers would ask us if we wanted to buy something out of this catalog in exchange for rental money so that is how the Sharp GF777 was bought from Germany brand spanking new when it was first appeared in the catalog, along with this Sharp , we bought other interesting audio equipment back then .This is how I got into the audio hobby actually. What great times !!!!!!! I remember DBX units ,Pioneer turntable ,Kenwood receiver (the Galaxy Commander) Infinity speakers e.t.c
Thanks
George

Great story George, thanks for sharing.