Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:52 am 
Premium User

I reorganized my “office” at home and passed the audioengine speakers to my wife for her computer. Wanting to find something that complimented the way my Mac looks I found a pair of minimus7 speakers in silver here on CAM.

Here is my simple cap swap from the poly to a Mundorf film. Cap came from partsconnexion as I needed a few feet of kimber wire to connect the speakers to a topping 32ex DAC/AMP/headphone amp. So I can use headphones or drive the speakers. I know the kimber is overkill but I like the way the braid looks as it sits on the desktop.

Original cap is grey, new one is white. 4.7uf 50v swapped for a 4.7uf 250v

Photos below.

Attachments:
23384959-3648-4092-A7BF-36285C6002A5.jpeg
23384959-3648-4092-A7BF-36285C6002A5.jpeg [ 284.08 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]
8378EE9D-F0AE-4632-907B-7943E913CD06.jpeg
8378EE9D-F0AE-4632-907B-7943E913CD06.jpeg [ 261.92 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]
85DC1444-FA37-4BC0-80D0-408A6A243088.jpeg
85DC1444-FA37-4BC0-80D0-408A6A243088.jpeg [ 314.13 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]
37CA5E9F-83DA-457D-9108-5F03531AF761.jpeg
37CA5E9F-83DA-457D-9108-5F03531AF761.jpeg [ 363.09 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:05 am 

Great swap! The M7's are a bargain and sound nice with a cap change as you did.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:20 am 

I like to add some damping material (fibreglass) to clean up residual resonances.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 am 

I was fortunate to pick up a pair of Zobel kits on eBay before the seller became ill and could no longer supply them. Like Alec, I added some quality stuffing to the cabinet. They are now my computer speakers with a Topping VX1 DAC/amplifier. These little guys are very nice out of the box, but with a few inexpensive upgrades they are excellent performers ... especially for the price.

Attachments:
DSCN1761.JPG
DSCN1761.JPG [ 357.2 KiB | Viewed 982 times ]
DSCN1760.JPG
DSCN1760.JPG [ 402.91 KiB | Viewed 982 times ]
DSCN1756.JPG
DSCN1756.JPG [ 207.08 KiB | Viewed 982 times ]

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 am 

Hi,

Ah, the legend of the Minimus 7 continues apace. I still use them too, behind my TV as a sort of left/right centre channel substitute. They were recapped years ago. Some may wonder if there is anything else out there that has about the same size foot-print and might be a tad better, or at least as good. There is and it is called the NHT Superzero. Grab a pair if you see them. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am 

Quadzilla wrote:
I was fortunate to pick up a pair of Zobel kits on eBay before the seller became ill and could no longer supply them. Like Alec, I added some quality stuffing to the cabinet. They are now my computer speakers with a Topping VX1 DAC/amplifier. These little guys are very nice out of the box, but with a few inexpensive upgrades they are excellent performers ... especially for the price.

I have a pair of those walnut ones and ordered new terminal cups to replace the spring loaded ones , guess I will change the cap while I am at it .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 am 

JFraser wrote:
Quadzilla wrote:

I have a pair of those walnut ones and ordered new terminal cups to replace the spring loaded ones , guess I will change the cap while I am at it .

I probably should have done that, but I didn't think about it at the time. Changing the cap is a good idea. A pair of quality caps won't cost a fortune, and they should really improve the sound quality. At the very least, the originals are decades old and very tired.

Sorry, Mister Vice President, 'The Handmaid's Tale' is not a documentary.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:24 pm 

triathleteman wrote:
I reorganized my “office” at home and passed the audioengine speakers to my wife for her computer. Wanting to find something that complimented the way my Mac looks I found a pair of minimus7 speakers in silver here on CAM.

Here is my simple cap swap from the poly to a Mundorf film. Cap came from partsconnexion as I needed a few feet of kimber wire to connect the speakers to a topping 32ex DAC/AMP/headphone amp. So I can use headphones or drive the speakers. I know the kimber is overkill but I like the way the braid looks as it sits on the desktop.

Photos below.

Where did you get the caps from? I assume it's a somewhat easy mod to do? I've got a pair of minimus 7's posted, but I'd be open to trying this out since they're not selling. Plus I also kinda need another hobby that's not me spending my time and money on CAM :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm 

timarcc wrote:
triathleteman wrote:

Photos below.

Where did you get the caps from? I assume it's a somewhat easy mod to do? I've got a pair of minimus 7's posted, but I'd be open to trying this out since they're not selling. Plus I also kinda need another hobby that's not me spending my time and money on CAM :lol:

The Mundorfs probably came from Parts Connexion. But Russian caps from eBay are an excellent option. Anything 50v or greater is good.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:32 pm 

I recall Audio Magazine ran an article regarding mod's for the Minimus7 in the late 80's.
Bitumen pad to line metal cabinet,brush on coating for the woofer(optional) and a cap.
Still got the issue somewhere.

G

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:00 pm 
Premium User

timarcc wrote:
triathleteman wrote:

Photos below.

As another member mentioned it was partsconnexion - between ordering and delivery was 3 days I think. Very very easy install, as long as you have a soldering iron, and I had “electrical” solder which has. Different composition than plumbing solder.
M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:07 pm 

Yes, I too did the Ebay crossover mod,it help enormously (?) to take the screetch out of them-on a related note, models of Realistic amps/receivers are equalized for these speakers. I'm playing right now some John Williams guitar on those speakers with a modded SA-150 amp and it's pretty darn good.They're also pretty much child/pet/drunk proof as well!

-- 25 Apr 2018 04:14 --

Taking another look I see you have the "B" versions? I found those tweeters, compared to the "C" ones, more accurate and maybe less noisy, but they're far less efficient. You might think that's good actually but the C's went back in, and now that I have a few hours on all the mods they were the way to go. I have a few versions of this speaker and they're really fun to play around with and look great.